Slimes are the most common type of monster the player will fight, with a surprisingly high spawn rate during the day. They come in multiple sizes and colors, each of which has different health and damage. Slimes float in water.
All slimes follow basic Slime AI and attack by hopping onto the player. All types drop 1-2 Gel except for Corrupt Slime, which drops 2-4 gel, and the Lava Slime, which drops no gel. This is a vital ingredient in crafting Torches, Lesser Healing Potions and Sticky Bombs. In addition, it is the ammunition used when firing a Flamethrower.
Slimes spawned on or near the surface are usually neutral and do not chase the player unless provoked or if still on-screen after nightfall. Slimes spawned underground are always hostile, however. Green, Blue, Red, Purple and Yellow Slimes usually spawn on or near the surface. Mother Slime, Baby Slime, and Black Slime can only be found underground. Pinky may appear anywhere, although rarely.
Lava Slimes will only spawn in the Underworld and do not receive damage from lava. It has an orange glow similar to that of the molten armor.
Corrupt Slimes and Slimers appear in The Corruption and Underground Corruption. Illuminant Slimes appear in The Hallow and Underground Hallow, and Crimslimes appear in The Crimson and Underground Crimson, whereas Toxic Sludge is found anywhere in the Underground. All of these are found only during hardmode. Also found during hardmode is the Gastropod which drops 5-10 gel on death.
Umbrella Slimes spawn during rain. They carry a multicoloured umbrella.
Green Slimes, Blue Slimes, Bunny Slimes, and Red Slimes do not attack the player unless attacked or bumped into, but at night, they become hostile. All slimes will try to attack NPCs unprovoked. When a slime is preparing to hop it will bob up and down quickly.
 Types of Slimes
|Slime Type||Health||Damage||Defense||Coins||Additional info|
|Black Slime||45||15||4||20||Has a chance on attack to cause the "Darkness" debuff|
|Mother Slime||90||20||7||75||Spawns up to three baby slimes upon death|
|Baby Slime||30||13||4||10||Comes from Mother Slime|
|Pinky||150||5||5||1||Smallest slime in game|
|Lava Slime||50||15||3||120||Immune to lava|
|Dungeon Slime||150||30||7||150||Drops a Golden Key on death|
|King Slime||2000||40||10||1||Drops one piece of Ninja clothes, rare spawn rate, and doesn't follow Slime AI.|
|Corrupt Slime||170||55||20||4||Spawns in Corruption and Underground Corruption biomes. Spawns two/three Slimelings upon death. Hardmode enemy.|
|Slimeling||90||45||10||1||Spawned from Corrupt Slime. Hardmode enemy.|
|Slimer||60||45||20||1||Spawns in Corruption and Underground Corruption biomes. Spawns with wings. Hardmode enemy.|
|Toxic Sludge||150||50||18||4||Has a chance to poison. Hardmode enemy.|
|Illuminant Slime||180||70||30||4||Spawns in Underground Hallow biomes. Glows. Hardmode enemy.|
|Ice Slime||30||8||4||54||Spawns in snow biomes.|
|Spiked Ice Slime||60||12||8||2||Spawns in underground snow biomes. Fires ice spike projectiles (17 damage).|
|Umbrella Slime||35||10||5||25||Spawns during rain.|
|Spiked Jungle Slime||65||28||8||2||Spawns in underground jungle biomes. Fires stinger spike projectiles.|
|Crimslime||200||60||26||4||Spawns in Crimson biomes. Hardmode enemy.|
|Rainbow Slime||400||85||26||20||Spawns during the Rain in Hallow biomes. Hardmode enemy.|
|Bunny Slime||60||12||8||2||Spawns in the forest. For the Halloween update.|
Coin drop rates will vary. The values listed represent the total value of coins dropped.
- Note that nearly all Slimes can drop the Slime Staff upon death, however it's extremely rare (with a drop rate at 0.01%).
- During the Halloween update Slimes will occasionally spawn dressed in a bunny costume. They share the same stats with Blue Slimes.
- Smaller Slimes may clip through walls and one block holes. Make your house carefully or else Slimes may be able to get in.
- Farming Slimes with a Slime Statue can produce an infinite amount of Gel, which can be helpful for the Flamethrower.
- During the 1.2.2 Christmas update forest Slimes will occasionally spawn looking like presents, with a large ribbon tied onto them. These Slimes have a chance of dropping the Giant Bow Vanity item.
- 1.2.1: Bunny Slime introduced.
- 1.2: Umbrella Slime, Rainbow Slime, Crimslime, Spiked Jungle Slime, Ice Slime and Spiked Ice Slime introduced.
- 1.1: Corrupt Slime, Slimeling, Slimer, Toxic Sludge, and Illuminant Slime introduced.
- 126.96.36.199: Slimes no longer chase the player in water when they are not in aggresive mode.
- Dungeon Slime introduced.
- 1.0.4: King Slime and Jungle Slime introduced.
- Pre-Release: All the various colored slimes, Pinky, Mother and Baby Slimes introduced.
|Green • Blue • Red • Purple • Yellow • Pinky|
Black • Mother • Baby • Jungle(Spiked) • Lava • Ice(Spiked) • Dungeon
Corrupt • Slimeling • Slimer • Toxic Sludge • Shadow • Crimslime • Illuminant • Rainbow • Umbrella