|Damage||185 / 128 (Ranged)|
|Knockback||8 (Very Strong)|
|Critical chance||29% / 19%|
|Use time||35 (Slow)|
|Tooltip|| Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet|
Right click to zoom out
|Internal Item ID: 1254|
The Sniper Rifle is a Hardmode, post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires a bullet with extremely high damage and velocity, though at a far slower rate of fire than most ranged weapons, and cannot auto-fire. It also has a "zoom" ability. The Sniper Rifle has a 7.64% / 11.46% chance to be dropped by Skeleton Snipers, who only spawn in Dungeon areas with Slab Walls during Hardmode after Plantera has been defeated.
The Sniper Rifle's zoom capability is identical to the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars' abilities, whereby the screen scrolls temporarily in the direction of the mouse cursor while holding the right-click button, or by using the right stick on Console versions — essentially extending viewing range in one direction.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Rifle Scope or Sniper Scope stacks with the Sniper Rifle's zoom ability to increase zoom, though only slightly. The exact increase depends on your game screen resolution. For example, at 800x600, view is increased by 3 tiles; at 1680x1050, 7 tiles.
- Musket Balls and Silver Bullets fired from this weapon gain the visual effects (but not damage) of High Velocity Bullets. All other ammo types travel at normal speed, and retain their usual appearance.
- Zooming will update the Minimap (the same holds true for the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars).
- Shards produced by Crystal Bullets also benefit from the Sniper Rifle's high base damage.
- On the Mobile version, this weapon cannot auto-fire, making it the only weapon that cannot do so on mobile other than the Phoenix Blaster. On the 3DS edition, the rifle fires when the button to do so on the 3DS is released rather than when it's pressed, unlike other weapons; therefore it cannot auto-fire on that platform either.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Sniper Rifle pairs well with Chlorophyte Bullets, as their homing ability compensates for the slow fire rate.
- The Sniper Rifle also pairs well with Exploding Bullets by killing multiple targets, which similarly compensates for the low fire rate. Use care, as self-damage from the sniper explosive rounds can easily 2-shot most players.
- The Sniper Rifle is effective against enemies that teleport when hit, like Diabolists, Necromancers, and Nebula Floaters, due to the high one-shot damage.
- Due to its already-high critical strike chance, the Ruthless modifier may be preferred over Unreal to maximize damage instead.
- It is possible to deal 1388 damage using Vortex armor in stealth mode.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of 22.214.171.124, the Sniper Rifle has the highest base critical strike chance of any weapon in the game, beating the Obsidian Swordfish by 5%. It is also tied with the Revolver for highest ranged velocity. While it additionally has one of the highest base damages in the game, it is still beaten by the Meowmere, Terrarian, Bunny Cannon, Dynamite, and Explosives.
- It is possible to achieve over 100% critical strike chance with accessories, armor, and modifiers, as well as entering stealth mode.
- The Sniper Rifle, Uzi, and Venus Magnum all have the same tooltip.
History[edit | edit source]
- Increased damage from 128 to 185.
- Critical chance increased from 19% to 29%.
- Reduced use time from 49 to 35.
- 126.96.36.199: Now correctly drops from Skeleton Snipers.
- 1.2: Introduced.