|Damage||185 / 128 (Ranged)|
|Knockback||8 (Very Strong)|
|Critical chance||29% / 19%|
|Use time||35 (Slow)|
|Tooltip|| Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet|
Right click to zoom out
|Internal Item ID: 1254|
The Sniper Rifle is a Hardmode post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires a bullet with extremely high damage, though at a far slower rate of fire than most ranged weapons. It has a "zoom" ability that no other weapon can perform. It cannot be auto-fired. The Sniper Rifle is an uncommon drop from Skeleton Snipers in the Slab-walled Dungeon during Hardmode, only after Plantera has been defeated.
The Sniper Rifle's zoom capability is identical to the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars' abilities, whereby the screen scrolls temporarily in the direction of the mouse cursor while holding the right-click button, essentially extending your viewing range in one direction.
Its best Modifier is Unreal.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Rifle Scope or Sniper Scope used along with the Sniper Rifle will increase zoom slightly. The exact increase depends on your game screen resolution. For example, at 800x600, view is increased by 3 tiles; at 1680x1050, 7 tiles.
- Musket Balls and Silver Bullets shot from this weapon gain the effects (but not damage) of High Velocity Bullets. They also glow bright yellow while traveling similar to High Velocity Bullets. All other ammo types, however, will travel at normal speed, and have the appearance they usually do.
- Zooming will update the Minimap. The same holds true for the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars.
- The Sniper Rifle and the Venus Magnum have the same tooltip.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As all damage bonuses are calculated in percentages, the Sniper Rifle's high base damage greatly benefits from equipment and modifier bonuses.
- Although the Sniper Rifle pairs nicely with Exploding Bullets (killing multiple targets, compensating for the low fire rate) one must be very careful, as self-damage from the sniper explosive rounds can easily 2-shot most players.
- Shards from Crystal Bullets also benefit from the Sniper Rifle's high base damage.
- Along with the Revolver, it has the highest ranged velocity in the game.
- The Sniper Rifle can serve the player well when killing enemies which teleport when hit, such as Diabolists, Necromancers, and Nebula Floaters, due to the high one-shot damage.
- Because of its already high critical hit chance, the Ruthless Modifier may be preferred over the Unreal Modifier to maximize damage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Sniper Rifle has one of the highest base damages in the game, holding the title for highest damage in 1.2. The Meowmere, Terrarian, and a few more weapons, such as the Bunny Cannon, Dynamite and Explosives deal higher damage.
- It is possible to achieve over a 100% critical strike chance with the proper accessories, armor, and modifiers, as well as being in stealth mode.
- As of 126.96.36.199, it has the highest base critical strike chance of any weapon in the game, succeeding the Obsidian Swordfish by 5%.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Increased damage from 128 to 185, crit rate from 19% to 29% and reduced use time from 49 to 35.
- 184.108.40.206: Now drops from Skeleton Sniper.
- 1.2: Introduced.