|Use time||49 (Extremely Slow)|
|Tooltip|| Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet|
Right click to zoom out
The Sniper Rifle is a Hardmode post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires a bullet with extremely high damage, though at a far slower rate of fire than most ranged weapons, and has a "zoom" feature. It cannot be auto-fired. The Sniper Rifle is uncommonly dropped by Skeleton Snipers in the Dungeon during Hardmode, only after Plantera has been defeated.
The Rifle's zoom capability is identical to the Rifle Scope and the Binoculars' abilities, whereby the screen scrolls temporarily in the direction of the mouse cursor while holding the right-click button, essentially extending your viewing range in one direction.
- The Rifle Scope or Sniper Scope used along with the Sniper Rifle will increase zoom slightly. The exact increase depends on your game screen resolution. For reference, at 800x600, view is increased by 3 tiles; at 1680x1050, 7 tiles.
- Musket Balls and Silver Bullets shot from this weapon gain the effects (but not damage) of High Velocity Bullets.
- Zooming will update the Minimap. The same holds true for the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, and Binoculars.
- It is possible to glitch shots through walls one block thick at certain angles.
- Its high base damage makes ranged damage bonuses very potent. With the Unreal Modifier, Chlorophyte Helmet, and Sniper Scope, damage is raised to 181 per shot. Switched with the Shroomite armor and its 45% max stealth bonus, with its Shroomite Mask bullet damage bonus, the damage rises to 245.
- Pair with Chlorophyte Bullets for a powerful homing killing machine. The homing effect compensates for the slow rate of fire by successfully killing even when you "miss", so you don't need to re-fire as much.
- Pair with Golden Bullets for a money-making machine. The low bullet consumption and high coin return per kill makes this an efficient coin producer.
- Although the Sniper Rifle pairs nicely with Exploding Bullets (killing multiple targets, compensating for the low fire rate) one must be very careful, as self-damage from the sniper explosive rounds are easily enough to 2 shot kill most players. Crystal Bullets will have similar benefits without the risk of self-damage.
- Since enemies can only spawn while off-screen and within a certain range, using the Rifle's zoom ability continuously can cause far fewer enemies to spawn from that direction. This can hinder farming efforts, for instance if a player is farming enemies by standing where enemies can only come from a single direction: Zooming in that direction can cause spawn rates to drop drastically.
- Paired with a Sniper Scope and Shroomite Armor the player will be able to be somewhat similar to a real life sniper.
- It has the third-highest base damage of any weapon, next to the Bunny Cannon with Explosive Bunny and Dynamite. However, the rifle is the most cost effective way to do high damage of these options. It is also the only one of the three able to be used without removing the item from one's inventory in order to do so.
- A Ruthless Sniper Rifle dealing a critical strike with a Menacing Ranger Emblem equipped does the highest single weapon damage in the game, generally. The Stake Launcher with the same accessory can deal more damage, but only when used against vampires: Up to 5000 on a critical strike, enough to trigger the anti-cheat on many servers leading to a possible autokick or being frozen.
| Post-Plantera entities |
|Accessories||Celestial Stone • Festive Wings • Ghost Wings • Hoverboard • Master Ninja Gear • Rifle Scope • Sniper Scope • Spooky Wings • Sun Stone • Tabi • Tattered Fairy Wings|
|Armor||Beetle armor • Shroomite armor • Spectre armor|
|Bosses||Golem • Mourning Wood • Pumpking • Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen|
|Crafting||Autohammer • Lihzahrd Furnace • Ectoplasm • Shroomite Bar • Spooky Wood|
|Enemies||Blue Armored Bones • Bone Lee • Diabolist • Dungeon Spirit • Flying Snake • Giant Cursed Skull • Hell Armored Bones • Lihzahrd • Necromancer • Paladin • Ragged Caster • Skeleton Commando • Skeleton Sniper • Tactical Skeleton|
|Events||Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon|
|Tools||Picksaw • The Axe • Shroomite Digging Claw • Spectre Pickaxe • Spectre Hamaxe • Spectre Paintbrush • Spectre Paint Roller • Spectre Paint Scraper|
|Weapons||Bat Scepter • Blizzard Staff • Candy Corn Rifle • Chain Gun • Christmas Tree Sword • Elf Melter • Flower Pow • Grenade Launcher • Golem Fist • Heat Ray • Inferno Fork • Jack 'O Lantern Launcher • Keybrand • Leaf Blower • Magnet Sphere • Nettle Burst • North Pole • Paladin's Hammer • Piranha Gun • Possessed Hatchet • Proximity Mine Launcher • Pulse Bow • Pygmy Staff • Rainbow Gun • Raven Staff • Razorpine • Rocket Launcher • Scourge of the Corruptor • Shadowbeam Staff • Sniper Rifle • Snowman Cannon • Spectre Staff • Staff of Earth • Stake Launcher • Stynger • Staff of the Frost Hydra • The Horseman's Blade • Vampire Knives • Venus Magnum • Wasp Gun|
|Other Items||Temple Key • Biome Key Mold • Biome Key • Wisp in a Bottle|