- See also: Underground Snow
Snow Biomes are snowy areas where Snow Blocks and Ice Blocks are generated in place of grass, dirt and stone. Trees within Snow Biomes have a snowy cover on them. Instead of rain, the Snow Biome has blizzards. Even when it's clear in other biomes, there is still a light snow as Snow Blocks cause a light snow effect.
Dome shaped hills are commonly found in snow biomes, each one containing a cave that is similar in generation to crimson chasms and pyramids.
Underneath the Snow Biome you will find the Underground Snow.
|Enemies||Unique drops||For Sale|
Addition during a Blood Moon:
From Zombie Eskimos:
From Ice Golems:
From Ice Elementals:
From the terrain:
From the Merchant:
From the Clothier:
From the Painter:
- Water does not turn into ice blocks in a Snow biome. Ice blocks are generated automatically.
- It is possible for the initial spawn point to be in a snow biome.
- Acorns can be used on snow blocks to plant boreal trees.
- Snowmen will not spawn in this area by default.
- Snow biomes are somewhat immune to surface Hallow and Corruption/Crimson spread since snow blocks cannot be transformed. However Ice Blocks are affected and will be transformed into Pink Ice Blocks (Hallow), Purple Ice Blocks (Corruption) and Red Ice Blocks (Crimson), which mostly affects the Underground Snow.
- Grass will not grow on dirt blocks in a Snow biome.
- In versions prior to 1.2, Snow biomes were only generated in worlds created between the 15th and 31st of December, and in roughly 33% of worlds at any other time of the year. Snow biomes were also less elaborate, without specific theme music or mobs.
- Some NPCs will sell different items when situated in a snow biome, such as the Merchant and the Clothier.
- The Snow Biome and Rain Biome can overlap each other causing monsters native to both biomes to spawn in the same area.
- As of version 1.2, an event called Blizzard may occur in this biome, causing greatly increased snowfall and new monsters to spawn.
- In Hardmode, all enemies in snow biomes have a chance of dropping a Frozen Key Mold.
- In the console/mobile versions, the snow biome has a very little chance of being generated.
- It is possible to make your own Snow Biome by placing Snow Blocks and/or Ice Blocks along the surface of where you want it to be. enemies will spawn including penguin, it can have blizzards, and there can be Underground Snow if the snow is deep enough. This also works in hardmode.
- Most of the time, the Snow Biome is facing towards the dungeon.
- If an artificial snow biome is created, then the theme music will still play, but the snowfall effect will not appear. This could be a bug.
- 1.2.4: Snow trees now drop Boreal wood.
- 18.104.22.168.1: Fixed random crashing when in a snow biome in multiplayer.
- 22.214.171.124: Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- 1.2: Has a new background, event (Blizzard), theme music and mobs. Underground Snow added as the underground counterpart. Snowy trees now drop acorns. Can now be corrupted/hallowed. Also added ice.
- 1.1.1: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|