- See also: Underground Snow
A Snow biome is an area dominated by Snow Blocks and Ice Blocks, and displays a constant snowfall effect. Trees within Snow biomes have a snowy cover on them, and yield Boreal Wood, instead of ordinary Wood. During rain, a Snow biome displays a blizzard instead, where snowfall increases and unique enemies spawn. Some NPCs will sell different items when situated in a snow biome, including the Merchant, Painter, and Clothier.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
During a Blood Moon:
From Zombie Eskimos:
From Ice Golems:
From Ice Elementals:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Dome shaped hills are commonly found in snow biomes, each one containing a cave that is similar in generation to Crimson Chasms.
- Player-created Snow biomes are possible by placing at least 300 Snow Blocks and/or Ice Blocks in an area.
- Water does not turn into ice blocks in a Snow biome. Ice blocks are generated only on world creation.
- Snow biomes are somewhat immune to surface Hallow and Corruption/Crimson spread, since snow blocks cannot be transformed. However, Ice Blocks are affected and will be transformed into Pink Ice Blocks (Hallow), Purple Ice Blocks (Corruption) and Red Ice Blocks (Crimson), which mostly affects the Underground Snow.
- Grass will not grow on Dirt Blocks in a Snow biome.
- From surface to underground, the snow biome will always generate in a shape similar to a trapezoid.
- The Snow biome will always be located on the opposite side of the world as the Jungle. However, unlike the Jungle, it can be located very close to (or at) spawn.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.2.4: Snow trees now drop Boreal Wood.
- 220.127.116.11.1: Fixed random crashing when in a snow biome in multiplayer.
- 18.104.22.168: Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- Now generates in all worlds, instead of only 1/3 of worlds not generated during the Christmas season, and all worlds generated during the Christmas season.
- Blizzard event.
- New background.
- New theme music.
- Unique enemies.
- Underground Snow biome added.
- Snowy trees now drop acorns.
- Can now be corrupted/hallowed.
- Ice Blocks added.
- 1.1.1: Introduced.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Floating Island • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Ruined House|