A Solar Eclipse is an event that occurs rarely in Hardmode after at least one of the Mechanical Bosses has been defeated. It is announced at the beginning of a day with the message, "A solar eclipse is happening!", and lasts from sunrise to sunset. A Solar Eclipse has a 1 in 25 (4%) chance of occurring on any particular day (for comparison, the Blood Moon has a 1 in 10 (10%) chance each night).
A Solar Eclipse is akin to a daytime Hardmode version of a Blood Moon. Enemy spawn rates are very high even near NPCs. It is different in its rarity, and in that the event takes an entire day rather than the shorter night period (15 minutes vs. the Blood Moon's 9 minutes). It also spawns more of its own unique enemies, which can each drop unique rare items: Death Sickle, Eye Spring, Broken Hero Sword, Moon Stone, and Broken Bat Wing.
Day will be only slightly brighter than at night, and the moon is visible in front of the sun.
|Characters||Unique drops||For Sale|
|| From Reaper:
| From the Cyborg:
- It is possible to have other events occur at the same time as a Solar Eclipse, such as a Goblin Invasion.
- When loading a world with the Solar Eclipse occurring, the sun that rises and sets on the loading screen is also going through an eclipse.
- Swamp Things seem to be the most common Solar Eclipse enemies to spawn, followed by Frankensteins, Reapers, and Vampires, with Eyezor being the least common.
- A solar eclipse can occur the day before or after a Blood Moon. One will not affect the chances of the other following.
- Solar eclipses can occur multiple days in a row.
- Some enemies like the Arapaima can spawn together with the solar eclipse enemies.
- If another event, such as a Pirate Invasion happens during a Solar Eclipse, the Pirate Invasion's enemies will come instead of those of the Solar Eclipse.
- Every enemy but the Reapers and Vampires use standard Fighter AI, and even share the same jump range as basic Zombies.
- Reapers, like Wraiths, do not fly but instead hover just a few feet off the ground. Without blocks to float through they cannot reach high places.
- Like the Blood Moon, the effects of Water Candles and Battle Potions stack with the event's spawn rate. If you are farming the Death Sickle or Broken Hero Sword, these will indirectly help increase the rate of drops.
- Enemies that spawn during a Solar Eclipse share the theme of classic 20th century horror films.
- 1.3: New enemies added.
- 1.2.2: NPCs will now shelter in their housings during a solar eclipse.
- 22.214.171.124: No longer requires defeating Plantera to happen, only defeating a Mechanical Boss.
- 126.96.36.199.1: Now only occurs after defeating Plantera. 
- Slightly increased the chance for an eclipse to happen, from 1/30 to 1/25, but they will now only happen after killing a Mechanical Boss.
- Eclipses are no longer persistent between worlds.
- 1.2: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|