|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
A Solar Eclipse is a Hardmode event that occurs rarely after at least one Mechanical Boss has been defeated. A Solar Eclipse has a 1/25 (4%) chance of occurring on any particular day. (For comparison, the Blood Moon has a 7/72, or 9.72% chance, each night.) It is also possible to summon a Solar Eclipse using a Solar Tablet, which is made from Solar Tablet Fragments, which are obtained from all enemies (aside from Golem) in the Jungle Temple.
During a Solar Eclipse, unique and difficult enemies spawn at very high rates, even near NPCs. The event lasts for one entire day, from sunrise to sunset, regardless of the number of enemies that have been killed. The moon is visible in front of the sun, causing the ambient light level to drop to near-nighttime levels.
A Solar Eclipse is announced at the beginning of a day with the message, "A solar eclipse is happening!" The event only affects the surface layer, and can be avoided by burrowing well into the underground layer or below, or by using an Enchanted Sundial, but this carries the risk of triggering other events.
Content[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
After defeating all
After defeating Plantera:
From Deadly Spheres:
From Dr. ManFly:
From Creature from the Deep:
From the Cyborg:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is possible for other events to occur at the same time as a Solar Eclipse, such as a Goblin Invasion or a Pirate Invasion. Other events may cancel Solar Eclipse enemy spawns (except in the PC version after 1.3).
- Before defeating Plantera in the PC version and always in other versions, Swamp Things seem to be the most common Solar Eclipse enemies to spawn, followed by Frankensteins, Reapers, and Vampires, with Eyezor being the least common.
- Unlike a blood moon, the solar eclipse allows only its own enemies to spawn on the surface, where blood moons have most regular enemies (with a few exceptions such as Dripplers and Blood Zombies). The only exceptions to this rule are the surface Corruption, Crimson and Ocean.
- A Solar Eclipse can occur the day before or after a Blood Moon. One will not affect the chances of the other following, and the same event can follow the next day or night as well.
- It is important to note that the more difficult enemies (with more powerful item drops) will not spawn as soon as the event is available. Reapers and Mothrons will only spawn after defeating all three Mechanical Bosses; Butchers, NailHeads, Deadly Spheres, Psychos, and Dr. ManFlies will only spawn after defeating Plantera.
- If you quit when the solar eclipse message is shown, the event will not occur.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Like the Blood Moon, the effects of Water Candles and Battle Potions stack with the event's spawn rate, increasing the chances for rare drops.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Every enemy that spawns during a Solar Eclipse (barring the Reaper) share the theme of classic 20th century horror films. (See image on the right and each enemy's individual page for movie references.)
- The type of Solar Eclipse experienced is an annular solar eclipse.
- When loading a world with a Solar Eclipse in progress, the sun that rises and sets on the loading screen is also in its eclipsed state.
History[edit | edit source]
- 18.104.22.168: Chance of a natural solar eclipse occurring decreased.
- 1.2.2: NPCs will now shelter in their housings during a solar eclipse.
- 22.214.171.124: No longer requires defeating Plantera to happen, only defeating a Mechanical Boss.
- 126.96.36.199.1: Now only occurs after defeating Plantera. 
- Slightly increased the chance for an eclipse to happen, from 1/30 to 1/25, but they will now only happen after killing a Mechanical Boss.
- Eclipses are no longer persistent between worlds.
- 1.2: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness|
|Seasonal Events||Easter • Oktoberfest • Halloween • Thanksgiving • Christmas|
|Ambient objects • Attack Speed • Autoswing • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Camera mode • Chat • Config.json • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Expert mode • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Mining Speed • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Multiplayer • Music • NPC drops • NPC Despawning • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Status messages • Storage • Title messages • Use time • Value • Velocity|