- For strategies on gathering Souls, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
Soul of Light is a Hardmode crafting material dropped by most enemies in the Underground Hallow with a 1/5 (20%) chance. On an Expert Mode world, this rate is increased to 1/3 (33%). This includes stray enemies not native to the biome, such as Goblins and other enemies.
Crafting all items on the Desktop version, including a full stack of five Light Discs, excluding the Boss-summoning items and Key of Light, requires 98 Soul of Light (89 on console/mobile). One of each Boss-summoning item and a Key of Light requires an additional 24 Soul of Light (14 for console/mobile), for a total of 122 (103 for console/mobile).
Console and Mobile Version:
- Although the tooltip says: 'The essence of light creatures', souls of light can be dropped by any enemy as long as they are in the Underground Hallow biome.
- Bosses cannot drop Souls of Light.
- In the Desktop version, Meteor Heads no longer drop souls of light while in the underground Hallow.
- On larger worlds, souls of light sometimes may not be dropped in the underground layer, and can only be harvested in the cavern layer.
- 220.127.116.11: New animated sprite. Drop rate is increased for Expert Mode maps.
- 1.2: Drop rate increased from 1 in 7 (~14%) to 1 in 5 (20%). Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: Introduced.