| Soul of Night
|| Crafting material
| Max stack
|| 'The essence of dark creatures'
- For strategies on how to gather souls, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
Soul of Night is a Hardmode crafting material dropped by all enemies killed in the Underground Corruption or Underground Crimson, with a 20% chance. This includes stray enemies not native to the biome, such as Goblins or even monsters native to the Hallow. Crafting all items, excluding the Boss-summoning items, requires 87 Souls of Night. One of each Boss-summoning item requires an additional 12 Souls of Night, for a total of 99. The fastest way to farm these is to summon the Eater of Worlds at a sufficient depth, as each of his segments counts as a monster - Provided you have enough power to handle the situation, considering he is reinforced by regular spawns in the underground. Immunity to knockback goes a long way. Another method is to use the dungeon if corruption has spread to part of it. This method also works with the Hallow.
 Used in
- Although the tooltip says: 'The essence of dark creatures', souls of night can be dropped by any enemy as long as they are in the Underground Corruption or Underground Crimson biome.
- Enemies spawned by a statue will not drop souls even if the statue is in the Underground Corruption. Spawned Bunnies and Goldfish that are turned into their corrupt counterpart (due to Vile Powder or a Blood Moon) will NOT drop souls either.
- Drop rate increased from 1 in 7 (~14%) to 1 in 5 (20%).
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: Introduced.