| Soul of Night
|| Crafting material
| Max stack
|| 'The essence of dark creatures'
- For strategies on how to gather souls, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
Soul of Night is a Hardmode crafting material dropped by all enemies killed in the Underground Corruption or Underground Crimson, with a 20% chance. This includes stray enemies not native to the biome, such as Goblins and Meteor Heads. Crafting all items, excluding the Boss-summoning items, requires 87 Souls of Night. One of each Boss-summoning item requires an additional 12 Souls of Night, for a total of 99.
 Used in
- Although the tooltip says: 'The essence of dark creatures', souls of night can be dropped by any enemy as long as they are in the Underground Corruption biome.
- Enemies spawned by a statue will not drop souls even if the statue is in the Underground Corruption. However spawned Bunnies and Goldfish that are turned into their corrupt counterpart (due to Vile Powder or a Blood Moon) will drop souls.
- Drop rate increased from 1 in 7 (~14%) to 1 in 5 (20%).
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: Introduced.