- For strategies on gathering souls, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
Soul of Night is a Hardmode crafting material dropped by all enemies killed in the Underground Corruption or Underground Crimson at Caverns layer, with a 1/5 (20%) chance. In an Expert Mode map, this rate is increased to ~2/5 (36%). This includes stray enemies not native to the biome, such as Goblins and other enemies.
Crafting all items, excluding the Boss-summoning items, requires 79 Souls of Night. One of each Boss-summoning item requires an additional 9 Souls of Night (14 for console), for a total of 88 (93 for console).
- Although the tooltip says: 'The essence of dark creatures', Souls of Night can be dropped by enemies that are not native to the Underground Corrupton/Crimson.
- Enemies spawned by a statue will not drop souls even if the statue is in the Underground Corruption. Spawned Bunnies and Goldfish that are turned into their corrupt counterpart (due to Vile Powder or a Blood Moon) will not drop souls either.
- New animated sprite.
- Drop rate is increased for Expert Mode maps.
- Drop rate increased from 1 in 7 (~14%) to 1 in 5 (20%).
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: Introduced.