- For info on how to farm souls see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
Souls are Hardmode crafting materials dropped by enemies. Unlike other enemy drops, Souls are not affected by gravity, and thus remain floating in midair at the point where the enemy was killed. For large enemies and Bosses, this is usually the enemy's head, regardless of where the final strike occurred.
All enemies can drop Soul of Night or Soul of Light, depending only on the biome they are in when killed.
Pre 1.3 sprites.
- All Underground Corruption/Crimson or Hallow do not always drop souls. They have a common chance not to drop souls, which makes soul gathering harder.
- Note that any enemy in the Corruption/Crimson or Hallow will drop their respective souls. e.g an Illuminant Bat in the corruption will drop Souls of Night, and a Corruptor in the hallow will drop souls of light.
- Pre-hardmode enemies will still drop souls.
- All of the Soul of... names rhyme with each other (-ight).
- The Soul of Blight is the only soul that does not have a re-texture. This is because the souls were retextured in 1.3, which has not come to console/mobile, the only versions in which Souls of Blight are obtainable.
- 188.8.131.52: Updated the graphics of all souls.
- 1.2.3: Souls now sell for less.
- 1.2: Increased the drop rate of souls.
- 1.1: Introduced.