The Chaos Elemental is a Hardmode enemy that spawns in the Underground Hallow biome. It runs around and teleports quickly and chaotically (hence the name), attempting to damage the player by making contact.
Like many Underground Hallow enemies, Chaos Elementals have a glowing pink after-image.
- Chaos Elementals are immune to the Poisoned, Venom, On Fire!, Shadowflame, and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
- Chaos Elementals will not spawn if the player is standing in front of housing Walls.
- Chaos Elementals will only spawn on top of Pearlstone or Pearlsand Blocks. They can do so even if the player is not specifically in a hallowed biome.
- Chaos Elementals will teleport anywhere in a random position within 20 tiles from their target, but at least 4 tiles away, and only into a space that is at least 4 blocks tall and 3 blocks wide. They will not teleport into lava, though they can easily fall into it after teleporting.
- Chaos Elementals are known to occasionally drop Rainbow Rod, but the chance of dropping one is very low.
- Spectral Elementals appear to be slightly slower than Chaos Elementals. On the Mobile version the difference is bigger
- On the Mobile version, Illuminant Bats and Illuminant Slimes are overabundant in the Underground Hallow, and will block nearly all Chaos Elemental spawns. This can be alleviated by making an area of Pearlstone or Pearlsand outside of the Underground Hallow, so Chaos Elementals can spawn unobstructed.
- Even though they are called elementals, chaos and spectral are not elements.