The Gastropod is a flying Hardmode slime that appears frequently at the surface of The Hallow at night, and fires pink lasers. Gastropods are immune to the Poisoned, Venom, and Confused debuffs.
- Gastropods will enter water to chase the player, and can continue flying and firing while submerged.
- Striking the Gastropod while it is preparing its laser will interrupt the attack and prevent it from firing.
- Newer Hardmode players may want to avoid The Hallow's surface at night entirely, as Gastropods fire frequently, spawn often, and their lasers are difficult to dodge -- especially when more than one Gastropod is on the screen (and there usually will be more than one).
- Gastropods drop much more Gel than any other Slime, making them useful for gathering Flamethrower ammo. Killing Gastropods with one is fast and will yield more Gel than you use.
- The Bee Gun or similar weapons are effective at preventing Gastropods from firing, as its bees can attack continuously, leaving no pause for Gastropods to fire.
- Using the Royal Gel will make you immune to Gastropods entirely.
- Gastropods are a class of mollusk that includes snails and slugs.