|Type||Miscellaneous – Furniture|
|Dimensions||2 wide ˣ 4 high|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Buff tooltip||Movement speed increased and monster spawns reduced|
|Buy / Sell||2 / 40|
|Internal Item ID: 63|
|Internal Buff ID: 146|
|Internal Tile ID: 27|
Sunflowers are large plants. They are not grown from seeds like most other plants, but are instead placed fully-grown, either naturally on world generation or by the player. They can be freed with a pickaxe, and are also sold by the Dryad.
Sunflowers provide the following functions:
- They prevent the spread of Corruption, even in Hardmode (though they only affect blocks they are placed on).
- They provide the Happy! buff to players within a 50-tile radius, which grants a +10% movement speed bonus and a reduced enemy spawn rate. (Buff does not function on Xbox version)
- Each Sunflower decreases an area's total corruption rating by 5 tiles. This rating is used to determine whether NPCs will reject Housing. If placed in large quantities, they can allow NPCs to live near tainted blocks. This effect covers a radius of about 25 tiles.
Sunflowers can only be placed on Grass and Hallowed Grass (at any height) but require an absence of walls behind them when placed (walls can be placed behind them afterward, however). They cannot be placed on Corrupt Grass, Crimson Grass, bare Dirt Blocks, nor in Clay Pots. They have a very low chance of spawning more sunflowers in a small area.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Sunflowers glow in the dark.
- The Sunflower's Happy! buff will stack with Peace Candles, further reducing enemy spawn rates.
- The Sunflower's Happy! buff also stacks with asphalt's movement speed buff.
History[edit | edit source]
- 126.96.36.199: Sunflowers now glow at night and grant the player Happy! buff.
- 1.2.1: Sunflowers now reduce Crimson’s effects.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.