|Use time||33 (Slow)|
|Tooltip||Fires a spread of bullets|
The Tactical Shotgun is a Hardmode, post-Plantera ranged auto-fire weapon. It is an upgraded version of the Shotgun, auto-firing six spread shots per bullet consumed (versus the Shotgun's four, manually-fired), for a possible combined base damage of 174 per bullet (not including bullet damage stats which are then added). It is dropped by Tactical Skeletons in the Dungeon, only after Plantera has been defeated.
Its best possible Modifier is Unreal. The Ruthless Modifier will alternatively add an exceptional 18% damage, at the cost of 10% knockback.
- Effective for crowd control due to its high pellet count.
- High Velocity Bullets pair well, as they arrive their target almost instantly. Combines with its spread fire, it is unlikely that even quick flying enemies will move far enough away in time to dodge the attack.
- Exploding Bullets also pair well as, with the enhanced spread of the shotgun, they can easily be used for mass crowd control, especially from the air.
- Because the Tactical Shotgun is capable of dealing up to 200 damage by its combined shot spread, the homing abilities of Chlorophyte Bullets can be used to maximum potential.
- Get as close to ground enemies as possible before shooting. This will result in all pellets connecting, dealing the maximum possible damage to the target. With Chlorophyte Bullets, this can be ignored entirely due to all pellets generally hitting.
- This weapon is very effective against Bosses with the use of Chlorophyte Bullets or Ichor Bullets, as the majority of the pellets will reliably hit the boss, dealing high damage quickly. Ichor Bullets additionally reduce enemy defense for further damage. Using this method, the Golem can be killed in under 30 seconds.
- Several visual modifications differentiate the Tactical Shotgun from the Shotgun. It appears to be equipped with either iron sights or a scope, a barrel extension, accented foregrip, and a large drum magazine. Only some of these appear to have matching functional effects. The Tactical Shotgun has no inherent Scope-like zoom capability without the use of an added Scope accessory.
- While the Tactical Shotgun is fully automatic, the Tactical Skeleton enemy that drops it seems to wield a significantly slower, semi-automatic version.
- With the pistol and forward grip, along with the drum magazine and overall shape, it seems to resemble an M1928 Thomson submachine gun, even though it's obviously not a shotgun.