|Internal NPC ID: 550, 579|
The Tavernkeep is a unique NPC vendor that accepts only Defender Medals as currency for most items, instead of coins. He will only become accessible after the player has defeated the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu. Once this criterion is met, he will appear as an unconscious man spawning in any layer of the world. Similar to bound NPCs, talking to him allows him to claim a House and respawn when killed.
The Tavernkeep's sentry summon weapons are associated with the Old One's Army event, and at first, they can only be used within that event. They function elsewhere only after the event is completed once successfully. Each of the Tavernkeep's sentry summon weapons come in three tiers: Rod, Cane, and Staff; with the Staff being the most expensive and the most powerful.When threatened, he throws mugs of ale at enemies.
- Using a Hunter Potion can help find the Unconscious Man (Tavernkeep) as it will highlight his body.
- Buying lots of Eternia Crystals before defeating any Mechanical Bosses is a good way to save money in the long run as the price of Eternia Crystals increases after a Mechanical Boss is defeated.
The Tavernkeep may have any of the following names:
- "I've got the cure for what ails ya! Get it? Ale? No?"
- "They say you're strong, well, I know strong. Let's see if you measure up."
- "Back where I'm from, we only serve Root Beer..."
- "This is a big upgrade from wiping that table all day."
- "Life's a challenge when you're just naturally better than everyone else."
- "What am I doing here..."
- "A lot of tenacity and a little bit of luck can go a long way..."
- "Have you seen any Meburs around here?"
- "Know any good places to set up shop? Would love to open up a bar here."
- "Really quiet out there. A little too quiet..."
- "Check in with me, and do your job."
When Demolitionist is present:
- "No wonder [Name of Demolitionist] has so many accidents. You can't imagine how much ale he buys from me."
When Goblin Tinkerer is present:
- "Normally, I'm not much of a fan of Goblins, but [Name of Goblin Tinkerer] seems to be an alright sort."
When Steampunker is present:
- "Do you think [Name of Steampunker] has an extra of that gun? I know a witch that may want one."
When Dryad is present:
- "[Name of Dryad] seems nice. I should bring her back with me."
- During Daytime:
- "Anyone see where the Dryad went?"
During a Blood Moon:
- "You know, where I'm from, a Blood Moon is actually just an excuse to get some fresh air."
- "I know a Lavamancer that would really like that hellstone down in the underworld."
Post Moon Lord:
- "Moon Lord, don't you mean Abyss Lord?"
Based on Old One's Army
- "Huh? How did I get here? The last thing I remember was a portal opening up in front of me..." (Only the first time the player speaks to him.)
- "We should really do something about the Old One's Army. Ask me about the Eternia Crystal if you want to learn more." (Before Tier 1.)
- "Great job on fighting off the Old One's Army! But I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them, they didn't put up much of a fight this time." (After Tier 1.)
- "The Army of the Old One's keeps getting stronger, yet you keep pushing them back! But something tells me they aren't quite finished with us yet." (After Tier 2.)
- "You really kept the full force of the Old One's Army at bay? Maybe you should visit Etheria some time." (After Tier 3.)
When the player clicks Eternia Crystal:
- For starters, take a few of these Defender Medals, on the house! I've got some special defenses you can purchase, but only with Defender Medals! (The first time a character clicks Eternia Crystal in a world, gives 5 Defender Medals.)
- All these quotes loop in order when the player clicks Eternia Crystal:
- "The first thing you need to know about are the special defensive artifacts I've got for sale, but only if you've got some Defender Medals!"
- "You can use these artifacts to create traps and defensive towers. Doing so Consumes Etherian mana, a special energy dropped only by members of the Old One's Army!"
- "Challenging the Old One's Army is rather simple. They are attracted to the power of Eternia Crystals, and that can be used to bait them out."
- "To place an Eternia Crystal, you must obtain an Eternia Crystal and a stand to put in. It just so happens, you can buy em from me!"
- "You'll want to place your Eternia Crystal stand in a pretty open, flat area. Lots of walls and stuff might make it pretty difficult to protect!"
- "Once your stand is set up, just interact with it while holding an Eternia Crystal, and prepare for a fight!"
- "Of course, you can't let the Old One's Army destroy the Eternia Crystal! This will have catastrophic consequences for my home world of Etheria!"
- "You can place defenses at the cost of 10 Etherian mana. Once placed, the Eternia Crystal will release some of this mana. Otherwise, you will need to defeat enemies to get more."
- "With the help of defenses, you will have to repel several waves of invaders who are attempting to destroy both you and the Eternia Crystal!"
- "If you successfully repel the invasion, you'll be awarded more Defender Medals, which you can bring to me to purchase more artifacts and some other special rewards!"
- "I've also heard rumors that the power of the artifacts themselves may be further unlocked if you defeat the Old One's Army. Perhaps you could even use them any time you wish!"
- The Tavernkeep is a character from Dungeon Defenders 2. Many of his quotes also reference the game.
- His quote "This is a big upgrade from wiping that table all day." references the fact that in DD2, he only wipes the table when the player is not talking to him.
- His quote "Moon Lord, don't you mean Abyss Lord?" references the cthulhu-like nature shared by both DD2's Abyss Lord and the Moon Lord.
- Two of his quotes, "Do you think <Name of Steampunker> has an extra of that gun? I know a witch that may want one." and "I know a Lavamancer that would really like that hellstone down in the underworld." reference the Gun Witch and Lavamancer heroes in DD2, respectively.
- Two of his quotes,"<Name of Dryad> seems nice. I should bring her back with me." and "Anyone see where the Dryad went?" are references to the fact that the Dryad is available in Dungeon Defenders 2.
- Approaching and standing near the Tavernkeep while holding Ale can cause him to appear to be holding his own mug of ale. While he is, the player can "cheers" with him by continuing to hold Ale and walking towards him, which creates a subtle burst of particles when you bump glasses. This effect is purely aesthetic and has no functional effect.
- One of the Tavernkeep's possible names is Moe. This may be a reference to the bartender, Moe Szyslak, from the popular TV show "The Simpsons".
- One of the Tavernkeep's possible names is Paddy. This may be a reference to the bar, Paddy's pub, from the TV show "It's always sunny in Philadelphia".
- The Tavernkeep has no Party quote, and as a placeholder, has the quote "I really need some birthday text, Yorai!" (referring to Yoraiz0r, a Terraria developer), which never appears.
- His one quote; "Check in with me, and do your job.", is a reference to Three Six Mafia's song "Slob on my knob", a song used in internet memes.
- Tavern at Dungeon Defenders 2 Wiki
- Now shows up on the Lifeform Analyzer.
- Fixed references to the Eternia Crystal as "Elder Crystal"
- 1.3.4: Introduced.