A Tempest Staff being used to shoot at a slime.
| PC-Only Content: This information (or parts of it) applies only to the PC version of Terraria.
The Tempest Staff is a Hardmode Minion summoning weapon. It spawns a small tornado (or "Sharknado") that follows the player for an unlimited amount of time, and attacks enemies automatically by firing shark-shaped projectiles which splatter against enemies and blocks. Its attack is akin to a miniature version of Duke Fishron's tornado/shark attack. The Tempest Staff has a 20% chance of being dropped by Duke Fishron.
The Tempest Staff's tornado moves to intercept enemies at significant range, and can pass through blocks. The tornado itself also damages enemies on contact. This minion counts toward the minion cap, so it will replace a current summoned minion if no minion boosts are in effect.
Its best Modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier presents a wider array of stat bonuses, but these mostly affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, minions cannot deal critical hits. The only significant advantage a Mythical Tempest Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- Even though the sharks deal a lot of damage, they are not very accurate due to slightly arcing mid-flight. They sometimes fail at hitting quick enemies. Despite this flaw, the sharknado itself is non-solid (can pass through all blocks) and attack enemies outside of the player's sight.
- As the tornado itself deals damage to critters, take care when using the staff while catching them.
- They are somewhat useless in small areas because they hover over the player's head. Consider using the Optic Staff because the eyes will hover and hit solid blocks.
- This weapon is a reference to the 2013 movie "Sharknado", which features a tornado filled with sharks.
- The Tempest Staff had the highest base damage of all minion-summoning staves, with the exception of the quasi-minion Staff of the Frost Hydra, until the 1.3 update.
- Now requires 10 mana.
- Sell price increased from 1 to 5
- 1.2.4: Introduced.