"You feel vibrations from deep below..."
- For the painting, see The Destroyer (item).
The Destroyer is a Hardmode Mechanical Boss which is essentially a harder version of the Eater of Worlds. Like the Eater of Worlds, The Destroyer is a very large Worm. Though it appears to be similarly made up of many segments, individual segments cannot die, and The Destroyer will not split apart into multiple enemies. The entire body has a single shared health bar, and The Destroyer will remain at full size until it is killed.
The Destroyer can spawn randomly on any given night once a demon or crimson altar has been smashed, as long as it has not yet been defeated in the current world. It can also be summoned manually using a Mechanical Worm at night. Night time is the only condition required for summoning (unlike Eater of Worlds, which requires a Corruption biome). Its arrival is announced by one of two messages: "You feel a quaking from deep underground..." or "You feel vibrations from deep below...." It must be killed before dawn, otherwise it will despawn. If this message pops up and you log out, it will not spawn.
Each of The Destroyer's segments contains a red-lit Probe, which is a independent flying enemy that is launched periodically as The Destroyer takes damage. They fire lasers at the player, both while within The Destroyer and when detached. Probes can be killed individually once detached. If the red light is missing from a segment, it means the Probe was already launched from that segment. On the Desktop version, The Destroyer's body is immune to all debuffs, though the launched Probes are not.
|| Mecha Mayhem • "Do battle against the Twins, the Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime simultaneously and emerge victorious."
| Defeat all three Mechanical Bosses simultaneously in a single battle.
|| Ride The Worm • "You have defeated The Destroyer!"
| Defeat The Destroyer for the first time.
- The Destroyer is extremely long, measuring 82 segments including head and tail, or 239 tiles in length.
- When The Destroyer is off-screen it can move around freely, as though it were moving through blocks, even through the air.
- If you get the status message "you feel vibrations from deep below" in early hardmode, it's recommended to get as far away from your spawn point as possible because The Destroyer can easily kill most town NPCs.
For more elaborate strategies on defeating The Destroyer, including Weapon and Arena recommendations, see Guide:The Destroyer strategies.
- Using a Magic Mirror or other methods to teleport away (ie. Wormhole Potion) to escape from The Destroyer will not cause it to despawn. It will follow the player back to their spawn, no matter how far away it is. Because of this, a great strategy for players is to set their spawn point near a Nurse and use a Magic Mirror when their health is low and to heal back up.
- Piercing weapons can strike multiple sections, making them especially effective. Similarly, explosive weapons can catch multiple sections in their blast radius. Making a fully-enclosed room and using ricocheting weapons can also be effective.
- The Fetid Baghnakhs, Slime Mount, Nimbus Rod, Hellwing Bow, and Cannon are all effective.
- The Destroyer spawns off-screen bunched-up like a coil. If the player is quick enough, they can reach the Destroyer in that state and end the fight in a matter of seconds using a piercing weapon.
- Building a long skybridge of Asphalt Blocks and using a ranged weapon can make the fight easier — simply run continuously in one direction while firing backwards.
- Building a box similar to the size of a small NPC house can help stop Probe Laser, but makes it harder to move or to dodge the Destroyer.
- In Expert Mode, avoid its head at all costs, as it can cause massive damage (over 250).
- On the Desktop version, using a Daedalus Stormbow with Holy Arrows and the Magic Quiver, a player can defeat The Destroyer in a matter of seconds, and is obtainable right after defeating the Wall of Flesh.
- On the Mobile version, firing Heart Arrows at its head will immobilize it entirely.
- A cannon with two people is effective, for one person can lure the Destroyer while another fires the cannon at it dealing 300 damage per hit. Having the cannon at a 45 degree angle is most effective for range.
- Making a huge platform high above ground and then putting a 1x1 hole at the bottom can allow the player to shoot at the Destroyer without it hitting them.
- Using the Minimap to see where the Destroyer will surface may help with dodging. This is especially useful in Expert Mode, since the Destroyer can do 200+ damage with its head.
- In Expert mode, The Destroyer reduces the damage it takes from the Golden Shower by 25%. In addition to being immune to the Ichor debuff, this makes this weapon effectively useless against it.
- The Dart Rifle combined with Crystal Darts is good against The Destroyer as the darts can bounce between it's segments dealing high amounts of damage akin to a shotgun. The darts can also bounce between the Probes, destroying several in a single shot no matter the distance between them.
- Firework Rockets are very effective against The Destroyer. Rockets can be bought from Party Girl for 15 and deal 150 damage each.
- The Destroyer had the most total health of any Boss before the Moon Lord was added. It still has the most health of any single enemy, as the Moon Lord's total health is the combined health of all its body parts.
- The Destroyer is the mechanical version of the Corruption's Eater of Worlds. However, there is no mechanical version of the Brain of Cthulhu from The Crimson, although the Probes it spawns are similar in function to the Brain of Cthulhu's Creepers.
- The Destroyer has 10x as much health as Wall of Flesh.
- For changes that affect all the mechanical bosses, see Mechanical Bosses History.
- Health returned to 80000 (from 60000). Damage and defense increased:
- Head damage increased from 50 to 70.
- Body damage increased from 35 to 55. Defense returned to 30 (from 26).
- Tail damage increased from 20 to 40. Defense returned to 35 (from 30).
- Now has a chance to drop the Destroyer Mask.
- The Destroyer's Probes drop hearts 1/3 times instead of 100%.
- Drops now appear at the location of the segment that was closest to the player on defeat, instead of from the head.
- 188.8.131.52: Now immune to all debuffs.
- Health reduced from 80000 to 60000. Damage and defense reduced:
- Head damage reduced from 60 to 50.
- Body damage reduced from 40 to 35. Defense reduced from 30 to 26.
- Tail defense reduced from 35 to 30.
- Now has a chance to spawn randomly during Hardmode with the message: "You feel vibrations from deep below...".
- Will now drop 20-40 Souls of Might, instead of 20-30.
- Now has a chance to drop the Destroyer Trophy.
- 1.1: Introduced.