|Soul of Sight (25-40)||100%|
|Greater Healing Potion (5-15)||100%|
|Hallowed Bar (15-30)||100%|
"This is going to be a terrible night..."
The Twins are a Hardmode Boss (one of the three Mechanical Bosses) that are a harder version of the Eye of Cthulhu. The Twins are two separate flying entities connected by a tendril, each with its own attack pattern and life count. Both must be killed in order to defeat the boss.
The Twins are summoned using the Mechanical Eye at night, and must be defeated before dawn, otherwise they despawn. They also have a chance of spawning on a random night once Hardmode begins, if they have not been defeated yet. Their approach is signaled at dusk via the chat message, "This is going to be a terrible night..."
- Retinazer has an orange-red iris and fires purple eye lasers. It will attempt to remain vertically above the player usually.
- Spazmatism has a green iris and fires balls of Cursed Flame. Will attempt to remain horizontally inline with the player usually.
Both alternate between their signature attacks and a charging melee attack, much like Eye of Cthulhu. Retinazer's charge dash is faster and covers a bit more distance than Spazmatism's charge dash.
Each eye has a second phase. Retinazer transforms at 8000HP, while Spazmatism transforms at 9000HP.
- Retinazer becomes a mechanical eye with a laser turret in its pupil. It fires more rapidly and with higher damage, and periodically fires in quick barrages. The barrages become more intense the more damage Retinazer takes.
- Spazmatism becomes a mechanical mouth. It chases the player, dashing with greater speed and range, and periodically spews streams of Cursed Flames from its mouth in a manner similar to the Flamethrower. The flames can inflict the Cursed Inferno debuff and deal high damage.
- If The Twins are summoned with a mechanical eye on a night where The Twins naturally spawn, both pairs will appear and all four eyes will be connected.
- Both eyes can drop their respective trophy when killed, regardless of which is killed first or last. It is possible to get both trophies in one battle.
- In his second form, Spazmatism's eye fire functions almost identically to the flamethrower weapon, with similar range and damage but inflicting the Cursed Inferno debuff instead of the On Fire!.
- In his first form, Spazmatism's flame shots often miss, even if the player isn't moving. The same goes for Retinazer's laser bolts in his second form.
- Concentrate on killing one eye first. Getting them both to their second phase at the same time makes the fight significantly more difficult.
- Both of the Twins are vulnerable to the Frostburn and Ichor debuffs.
- Retinazer's name is a portmanteau of retina, a part of the eye, and laser. Spazmatism's name is a portmanteau of astigmatism, an eye disorder, and spasm, meaning to twitch uncontrollably.
- The Twins are the only Hardmode Mechanical Boss encounter with phases, and is also the only mechanical boss that does not initially look mechanical.
- Mobile 1.1.5536: Introduced.
- For changes that affect all the mechanical bosses, see Mechanical_Bosses#History.
- 1.2.3: Spazmatism increased health to 23000, decreased damage for both.
- Spazmatism now transforms at 9000HP and Retinazer now transforms at 8000HP, instead of at half HP.
- Now only drops 15-30 Hallowed Bars.
- One of the twins can no longer despawn as long as the other is still active.
- Now have a chance to spawn during hardmode with the message: "This is going to be a terrible night...".
- Will now drop 20-40 Souls of Sight, instead of 20-30.
- Health and damage reduced from 24000 and 50 to 20000 and 40 respectively.
- 1.1: Introduced.