The Underworld (also known as Hell) is the deepest layer of the world, marked by dark rock with orange lines through it near the top followed by a spacious cavern. It is a large, open cavity that stretches across the world's bottom, with a ceiling of Ash Blocks and a lower terrain of large Lava pools, Ash Blocks, and Hellstone. It also contains several Ruined Houses, which are natural structures containing unique furniture and other loot. The Underworld is considered the most challenging biome prior to Hardmode.
The Underworld contains many hazards, most prominently its broad expanses of Lava. It also contains several unique and difficult enemies. Much of the solid surface consists of Hellstone, a valuable crafting material that can only be obtained in the Underworld; however it inflicts damage to players on contact without the proper equipment, while mining it also causes more Lava to form. If any Water enters the Underworld the whole pool of connected water blocks evaporate. Consider this if you have a large pool of water close to the Underworld which you don't want to lose.
The Wall of Flesh boss can be summoned here. Defeating it will cause the world to convert to Hardmode. It is possible to summon the Wall of Flesh accidentally, by inadvertently killing a Voodoo Demon positioned over lava. This is likely to surprise and kill most unprepared players.
The middle two quarters of the Underworld contain several Ruined Houses, which are Obsidian and the less common Hellstone Brick towers that contain Shadow Chests, Hellforges, Pots, Obsidian Furniture, and other lootable items. Shadow Chests require the Shadow Key to open (acquired in the Dungeon's locked Gold Chests, the Golden Lock Box from Dungeon Crates, or dropped from Arch Wyverns), and can contain unique Underworld-only loot.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops|
After defeating a
From Shadow Chests:
From Fire Imps:
From Red Devils:
From Voodoo Demons:
From Arch Demons:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Underworld starts at about 3000 feet deep in a large world, at about 2000 feet in a medium world, and at about 1300 feet deep in a small world.
- Just above the Underworld (if Backgrounds are on) will be the old background the Underworld used to have. It can be recognized as a warning that the player has gotten close to the Underworld.
- After defeating the Wall of Flesh and unlocking Hardmode, the game will draw in diagonal sections of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson (depending on which one your world generated with). Within these diagonals water can exist in the Underworld because the biome within the diagonals are rewritten as Hallow or Corruption/Crimson. The water will not evaporate unless segments of the pool are outside of the diagonal.
- In the version, the bottom right corner of the underworld has a Super Mario World fire flower icon.
- No background or foreground shaders can be applied by anything in the Underworld aside from normal lighting devices. This is apparent when fighting the Moon Lord, as blocks are not darkened, and the background is still visible.
- When the player gets close to the Underworld, the screen will start to waver slightly, in a manner similar to the shimmering caused by heat.
- On Desktop version and version, the music track The Underworld plays ( "Hell" Music Box). On Console version and Mobile version, the music track Eerie plays ( "Eerie" Music Box).
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A player can dig a tunnel two blocks wide down to the bottom of the world. With a Lucky Horseshoe, Wings, or by jumping with a Cloud in a Bottle at the end, they can fall down this tunnel, commonly called a "hellevator". Within this two-block-wide space, monster spawn rates are heavily reduced, especially Fire Imps. This allows the player to mine as much Hellstone as they wish, but use caution when expanding this tunnel; a larger cave has higher chances of Fire Imp spawns.
- A possible way to create a "hellavator" is to simply make a small hole and drop a few stacks of dynamite into it.
- A very effective way to counter Fire Imps and Red Devils is with a minion. An Imp Staff can be crafted out of Hellstone Bars.
- If the player explores the roof of the Underworld, they may find parts of an Underground Jungle.
- Despite the more sequential boss difficulty, the Underworld is actually far easier to survive in than the Dungeon or Underground Jungle. A player should by all means explore the underworld as soon as they have a pickaxe that can mine hellstone, or even before if they would like to make use of Hellfire Arrows or the Demon Scythe spell, so long as they have sufficient means of avoiding the lava.
- After the Wall of Flesh is defeated and the world enters hardmode, the Underworld may become, ironically, the safest place because of the spreading Corruption, Jungle, Hallowed, and Crimson biomes.
- Once the player has defeated a Mechanical boss, an Imp Staff (or similar) will allow the player to effectively deal with the Red Devils and Lava Bats. (Note: this can happen before hardmode, if a Mechanical boss is summoned and defeated before the Wall of Flesh.)
- One way to deal with Red Devils and Lava Bats is to build temporary tunnels and bunkers as the player mines Hellstone. Using Stone Blocks is not recommenced, because the smashing of Demon Altars may convert one or more stone blocks into Ebonstone/Crimstone or Pearlstone and although that will not spread underground Hallow or Corruption/Crimson, it may be difficult to find when purifying the world.
- You can bring 50 pieces of Meteorite to the Underworld and thus create an artificial Meteor biome. However, this is no longer useful during hardmode as Meteor Heads stop dropping loot once the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|It's Getting Hot in Here • "Spelunk deep enough to reach the molten underworld. "|
|Reach The Underworld for the first time.|
|Rock Bottom • "The only way is up!"|
|Reach the very bottom of The Underworld.|
|Rock Bottom • "Reach the bottom of the World"|
|Reach the very bottom of The Underworld.|
|To Hell and Back • "You have gone to The Underworld and back without dying!"|
|Go to The Underworld and back without dying.|
|Hellevator • "Go from the surface to The Underworld in under a minute."|
|Go from the surface to The Underworld in less than 1 minute.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.3: Added heat distortion effect.
- 18.104.22.168: New background and soundtrack, replacing the Eerie music.
- 1.2.4: The Underworld (as well as the Dungeon) has more new Furniture generated at world creation.
- 1.2.3: Fixed the bug where removing walls in the Underworld would not update the map.
- 1.2: Added Obsidian Furniture to ruined houses, and allowed rooms to generate horizontally. Also added Red Devil, Lava Bat, and new backgrounds.
- 1.1: Demon Torches are added to ruined houses.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Jungle Sanctum • Ruined House|