The Underworld (also known as Hell) is the deepest layer of the world, marked by a unique animated background depicting a large, open space with magma pools and pillars. It is a large, open cavity that stretches across the world's bottom, with a ceiling of Ash Blocks and a lower terrain of large Lava pools, Ash Blocks, and Hellstone. It also contains several Ruined Houses, which are natural structures containing unique furniture and other loot. The Underworld is considered the most challenging biome prior to Hardmode.
The Underworld contains many hazards, most prominently its broad expanses of Lava. It also contains several unique and difficult enemies. Hellstone, of which much of the solid surface consists, is a valuable crafting material that can only be obtained in the Underworld; however it inflicts damage to players on contact without the proper equipment, while mining it also causes more Lava to form. Any Water that enters the Underworld evaporates.
The Wall of Flesh boss can be summoned here. Defeating it will cause the world to convert to Hardmode. It is possible to summon the Wall of Flesh accidentally, by inadvertently killing a Voodoo Demon positioned over lava. This is likely to surprise and kill most unprepared players.
The middle two quarters of the Underworld contain several Ruined Houses, which are Obsidian and the less common Hellstone Brick towers that contain Shadow Chests, Hellforges, Pots, Obsidian Furniture, and other lootable items. Shadow Chests require the Shadow Key to open (acquired in the Dungeon's locked Gold Chests, the Golden Lock Box from Dungeon Crates, or dropped from Arch Wyverns), and can contain unique Underworld-only loot.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops|
After defeating a
From Shadow Chests:
From Fire Imps:
From Red Devils:
From Voodoo Demons:
From Arch Demons:
Tips[edit | edit source]
- After hardmode, the Underworld will be, ironically, the safest place after everything is either Corrupt, Jungle, Hallowed or Crimson. However, once a Mechanical boss is defeated, Red Devils and Lava Bats will spawn, which drastically increases the danger of the Underworld. (Note: this can happen before hardmode, if a Mechanical boss is summoned and defeated before the Wall of Flesh.)
- You can dig a tunnel two blocks wide down to the bottom of the world. With a Lucky Horseshoe, Wings, or by jumping with a Cloud in a Bottle at the end, you can fall down this tunnel, commonly called a "hellevator" (even in other games.) Since you're in a two-block-wide space, monster spawn rates are heavily reduced, especially Fire Imps. This gives you the chance to mine as much Hellstone as you want, but use caution when expanding this tunnel; a larger cave has higher chances of Fire Imp spawns.
- You can bring 50 pieces of Meteorite to the Underworld and thus create an artificial Meteor Biome. However, this is no longer useful in any way during hardmode as meteor heads stop dropping loot once the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.
- In a large world the underworld starts at about 3000 feet deep; in a medium world it starts around 2000 feet deep.
- If you stick around the roof in the top part of the Underworld, you may find parts of an Underground Jungle.
- Despite the more sequential boss difficulty, the Underworld is actually far easier to survive in than the Dungeon or Underground Jungle. A player should by all means explore the underworld as soon as they have a pickaxe that can mine hellstone, or even before if they would like to make use of Hellfire Arrows or the Demon Scythe spell, so long as they have sufficient means of avoiding the lava.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|It's Getting Hot in Here|
|Reach The Underworld for the first time.|
|Reach the very bottom of The Underworld.|
|Reach the very bottom of The Underworld.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Just above the Underworld (if Backgrounds are on) will be the old background the Underworld used to have. It can be recognized as a warning that the player has gotten close to the Underworld.
- After defeating the Wall of Flesh and releasing light and dark spirits into the world, the game will draw in diagonal sections of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson. Within these diagonals water can exist in the Underworld because the biome within the diagonals are rewritten as Hallow or Corruption/Crimson. The water will not evaporate unless segments of the pool are outside of the diagonal.
- In the 3ds version the bottom right corner of the underworld has a Super Mario World fire flower icon.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 22.214.171.124: New background and soundtrack.The old soundtrack now used during the blood moon instead.
- 1.2.4: The Underworld (as well as the Dungeon) has more new Furniture generated at world creation.
- 1.2.3: Fixed the bug where removing walls in the Underworld would not update the map.
- 1.2: Added Obsidian furniture to ruined houses, and allowed rooms to generate horizontally. Also added Red Devil, Lava Bat, and new backgrounds.
- 1.1: Demon Torches are added to ruined houses.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Ruined House|