|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Tool||Right-click or Pickaxe|
A Torch is a furniture item that produces light when placed, held, or dropped, and is crucial at all stages of gameplay as a primary light source. Torches provide light permanently, and are never consumed.
Torches can be placed on the sides or tops of most blocks, and can be placed on background walls. They can also be placed on the sides of trees and Wooden Beams. They cannot be placed on any type of Platform. A placed Torch can be retrieved by right-clicking on it or freeing it with Pickaxes or Drills. When the block a Torch is attached to is broken, it will attach itself to any possible block or wall directly next to it. If the block or wall is broken and the Torch has nowhere to go, it will drop like any other item. Since Torches give off light when dropped as an item, it is possible to throw a Torch down into a vertical cave to check what is down there.
Purple, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, White and Orange Torches can be made by combining standard Torches with Gems. There are seven available colors, one for each of the seven Gem colors. With the exception of their colors and light levels, these function identically to a standard Torch.
Ice Torches are crafted by combining standard torches with Ice Blocks, and give off a pale blue light. The Ice Torch has a slightly different graphic to the rest of the colored torches, and can be used to make Frostburn Arrow.
Demon Torches are one of the two Torches that cannot be crafted (the other being the Ultrabright Torch); instead they must be taken from the Ruined Houses in the Underworld, where they occur naturally. They function identically to standard, colored and Ice Torches, except that they cycle smoothly between red, purple, and blue flame colors.
Cursed and Ichor Torches
These Torches are available during hardmode, and give off a bright green and yellow light. They are also unique in that they can be placed in liquids and function normally there. They are crafted by combining standard Torches with Cursed Flames or Ichor, meaning they can only be obtained on worlds with hardmode Corruption or Crimson.
Ultrabright Torches cannot be crafted but sometimes they are sold by Traveling Merchant. They shine brighter than normal torches only when held, and return to the brightness of a standard or White Torch when placed.
There are currently 13 different Torch types.
|Torch||1, .95, .8||1 + 1 = 3||10||Standard Torch.|
|White Torch||1.3, 1.3, 1.3||3 + 1 = 3||1||Brightest torch.|
|Red Torch||1, .1, .1||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|Green Torch||0, 1, .1||3 + 1 = 3||40||Can be found naturally in Jungle Shrines|
|Blue Torch||0, .1, 1.3||3 + 1 = 3||40||Appears dim.|
|Purple Torch||.9, 0, .9||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|Yellow Torch||.9, .9, 0||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|Orange Torch||1, .5, 0||3 + 1 = 3||40|
|Ice Torch||.7, .85, 1||3 + 1 = 3||12||Sometimes found in Ice Chests.|
|Cursed Torch||.85, 1, .7||33 + 1 = 33||60||Functions under both Water and Lava. Placeable in either.|
|Ichor Torch||1.25, 1.25, .8||33 + 1 = 33||66||Functions under both Water and Lava. Placeable in either.|
|Demon Torch||.5-1, .3, 1-.5||N/A||60||Found naturally placed in The Underworld. Cycles color linearly.|
|Ultrabright Torch||?||N/A||60||Sold randomly by Traveling Merchant. Very bright when held, but dimmer when placed.|
- With the exception of the Cursed Torch and Ichor Torch, Torches do not function under Water. A Torch thrown into Water will not emit light once it submerges, and if a player enters Water with a Torch selected in the Hotbar, the Torch will not be visible and will emit no light. Placed Torches are freed when Water touches them, and drop as items.
- Holding the Auto-Select key (default: Left Shift) with the cursor over empty space will automatically prepare the torches in your inventory, allowing for quick placement or easy access to light.
- White Torches appear to produce the most light of any light source in the game.
- Torches provide more light when placed than they do when held or dropped, with the exception of the Ultrabright.
- Torches are the only item where you can throw (via the T key) just one of the item. For all other items the entire stack gets thrown.
- If you use T to throw a torch it will only go a few tiles forwards before falling straight down. If you want a light source that can be tossed further, use Glowsticks or Flares (though note that glowsticks are thrown by selecting them and then left-clicking, not by pressing T).
Used in (standard Torch)
- 1.2.4: Can now be used to craft Molotov Cocktails.
- 18.104.22.168: Fixed torches being able to be placed on wrong sides of slopes (that leaves them in air).
- Introduced ultrabright torch.
- Fixed exploit where you could throw torches to activate hotbar items without costs.
- Fixed issue where Ice Torch would not emit light when thrown on the ground.
- Fixed torch duplication bug.
- Torches are now animated.
- Can now be placed on background walls.
- Introduced ice, orange, and ichor torches.
- 1.1: Can now be toggled by Wire. Introduced colored, Cursed, and Demon varieties.
- 1.0.5: Dropped Torches no longer emit light underwater.
- 1.0.1: Torches now work correctly when being placed on wooden platforms.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Furniture: Crafting Stations • Light Sources • Storage Items • Other Items |