|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Tool||Right-click or Pickaxe|
|Internal Tile ID: 4|
Torches can be placed on the sides or tops of most blocks, and can be placed on background walls. They can also be placed on the sides of trees and Wooden Beams. In the PC version they can be placed on any type of Platform. A placed Torch can be retrieved by right-clicking on it or by freeing it with Pickaxes or Drills. When the block a Torch is attached to is broken, it will attach itself to any other block or wall directly adjacent to it. If all adjacent blocks surrounding a Torch are removed (left, right, and bottom), and no wall exists behind it, it drops like any other item.
- 1 Types
- 2 Types list
- 3 Notes
- 4 Crafting
- 5 History
Types[edit | edit source]
Torch[edit | edit source]
Colored Torches[edit | edit source]
Purple, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, White and Orange Torches can be made by combining standard Torches with Gems. There are eight available colors, one for each of the seven Gem colors, plus the Pink Torch crafted as a regular torch but with Pink Gel. With the exception of their colors and light levels, these function identically to a standard Torch.
Ice Torch[edit | edit source]
Ice Torches are crafted by combining standard torches with Ice Blocks, and give off a pale blue light. The Ice Torch has a slightly different graphic to the rest of the colored torches, and can be used to make Frostburn Arrows.
Demon Torch[edit | edit source]
Demon Torches can be crafted by combining standard torches with Obsidian. They can also be taken from the Ruined Houses in the Underworld, where they occur naturally. They function identically to standard, colored and Ice Torches, except that they cycle smoothly between red, purple, and blue flame colors.
Cursed and Ichor Torches[edit | edit source]
These Torches become available during Hardmode, and emit a bright green or yellow light, respectively. They are unique in that they can be held or placed in liquids and still function normally there. They are crafted by combining standard Torches with Cursed Flames (Corruption only) or Ichor (Crimson only).
Ultrabright Torch [edit | edit source]
Ultrabright Torches cannot be crafted but sometimes they are sold by Traveling Merchant. They shine brighter than normal torches.
Bone Torch [edit | edit source]
Bone Torches are sold by the Skeleton Merchant when the player has any other kind of Torch or Glowstick in their inventory.
Types list[edit | edit source]
Internal Item ID: 8
|1, .95, .8||1 + 1 = 3||10||Standard Torch.|
| Purple Torch
Internal Item ID: 430
|.9, 0, .9||3 + 1 = 3||40|
| Yellow Torch
Internal Item ID: 432
|.9, .9, 0||3 + 1 = 3||40|
| Blue Torch
Internal Item ID: 427
|0, .1, 1.3||3 + 1 = 3||40||Appears dim.|
| Green Torch
Internal Item ID: 429
|0, 1, .1||3 + 1 = 3||40||Can be found naturally in Jungle Shrines.|
| Red Torch
Internal Item ID: 428
|1, .1, .1||3 + 1 = 3||40|
| Orange Torch
Internal Item ID: 1245
|1, .5, 0||3 + 1 = 3||40|
| White Torch
Internal Item ID: 431
|1.3, 1.3, 1.3||3 + 1 = 3||1||Brightest torch.|
| Pink Torch
Internal Item ID: 3114
|?, ?, ?||1 + 1 = 3||16||Can be used to craft Peace Candles.|
| Ice Torch
Internal Item ID: 974
|.7, .85, 1||3 + 1 = 3||12||Sometimes found in Ice Chests.|
| Cursed Torch
Internal Item ID: 523
|.85, 1, .7||33 + 1 = 33||60||Functions under both Water and Lava. Placeable in either. rarity.|
| Ichor Torch
Internal Item ID: 1333
|1.25, 1.25, .8||33 + 1 = 33||66||Functions under both Water and Lava. Placeable in either. rarity.|
| Demon Torch
Internal Item ID: 433
|.5-1, .3, 1-.5||3 + 1 = 3||60||Can be found naturally in The Underworld. Cycles color linearly.|
| Rainbow Torch
Internal Item ID: 3045
|?, ?, ?||3 + 1 = 3||3||They cycle through various colors. rarity.|
| Ultrabright Torch
Internal Item ID: 2274
|?, ?, ?||N/A||60||Sold randomly by Traveling Merchant. Very bright when held, but dimmer when placed.|
| Bone Torch
Internal Item ID: 3004
|?, ?, ?||N/A||20||Sold by the Skeleton Merchant for 1 when the player has torches or glowsticks in their inventory.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- With the exception of the Cursed Torch and Ichor Torch, Torches do not function under Water. A Torch thrown into Water will not emit light once it submerges, and if a player enters Water with a Torch selected in the Hotbar, the Torch will not be visible and will emit no light. Placed Torches are freed when Water touches them, and drop as items.
- Holding the Auto-Select key (default: Left Shift) with the cursor over empty space will automatically prepare the torches in your inventory, allowing for quick placement or easy access to light.
- White Torches appear to produce the most light of any light source in the game.
- Torches provide more light when placed than they do when held or dropped, with the exception of the Ultrabright.
- Torches are the only item where you can throw (via the stack gets thrown.
- If you use Glowsticks or Flares (though note that glowsticks are thrown by selecting them and then left-clicking, not by pressing
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in (standard Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Ice Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Pink Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Cursed Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Ichor Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Demon Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Rainbow Torch)[edit | edit source]
Used in (Ultrabright Torch)[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 220.127.116.11: Fixed Torch dupe bug.
- Demon Torches can now be crafted.
- Introduced Rainbow, Bone and Pink Torches.
- Can now be placed on any Platform.
- 1.2.4: Can now be used to craft Molotov Cocktails.
- 18.104.22.168: Fixed torches being able to be placed on wrong sides of slopes (that leaves them in air).
- Introduced ultrabright torch.
- Fixed exploit where you could throw torches to activate hotbar items without costs.
- Fixed issue where Ice Torch would not emit light when thrown on the ground.
- Fixed torch duplication bug.
- Torches are now animated.
- Can now be placed on background walls.
- Introduced ice, orange, and ichor torches.
- 1.1: Can now be toggled by Wire. Introduced colored, Cursed, and Demon varieties.
- 1.0.5: Dropped Torches no longer emit light underwater.
- 1.0.1: Torches now work correctly when being placed on wooden platforms.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.