|Internal NPC ID: 160|
The Truffle is an NPC that sells various items such as the Autohammer, Hammush and Mushroom Spear. To get the Truffle to move in, there must be housing in a surface Mushroom Biome during hardmode. He needs 100 blocks of mushroom Grass, Plants and Trees to spawn. 200 blocks will cause the Mushroom enemies to spawn.
It is highly recommended to prepare a suitable house for the Truffle after defeating the Wall of Flesh, as the Mushroom Spear he sells has the third highest base damage of any spear, the North Pole having the highest, and is available after you defeat one mechanical boss.
Once the Truffle has moved into a house, he sells the listed items below.
|Mushroom Cap||2||Always available.|
|Strange Glowing Mushroom||45||Always available.|
|Dark Blue Solution||25||Always available.|
|Mushroom Spear||70||After any mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Hammush||40||After any mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Autohammer||1||After Plantera has been defeated.|
Truffle may have any of the following names:
- "There's been such a huge rumor that's being spread about me, 'if you can't beat him, eat him!'"
- "Everyone in this town feels a bit off. I woke up to the clothier chewing on my foot last night."
- "As if living underground wasn't bad enough, jerks like you come in while I'm sleeping and steal my children."
- "You haven't seen any pigs around here have you? My brother lost his leg to one."
- "I tried to lick myself the other day to see what the big deal was, everything started glowing blue."
- "Between you and me, [Dryad's name] is the only one I trust. She is the only one here who hasn't tried to eat me or use me in a potion."
- "Everytime I see the color blue, it makes me depressed and lazy."
- "I don't know the 'Truffle Shuffle', so stop asking!" (Reference to "The Goonies" movie.)
- Truffle can only spawn and live above ground, and cannot be moved into a house underground even if it is in a Mushroom Biome.
- Try to build enough houses as possible before attempting a Mushroom biome home for the Truffle. If NPCs are waiting for a home, they will move in the Mushroom biome home, instead of the Truffle.
- If you haven't defeated Plantera yet, there's an empty slot in his item inventory where the Autohammer should be. This slot is properly filled once you defeat Plantera.
- All of his names are named after a type of mushroom or toadstool.
- The "Truffle Shuffle" line is a reference to the movie "The Goonies".
- The line "Everytime I see the color blue, it makes me depressed and lazy", may be referring to the fact that he is an underground creature, as opposed to most diurnal animals, who become more active when exposed to the sky. Or it could be a joke because the entire Mushroom Biome (as well as himself) is blue. It could also simply be a joke referring to the English term "blue" which indicates a person is sad or depressed, thus, seeing the color blue makes him feel "blue".
- The line "You haven't seen any pigs around here have you? My brother lost his leg to one." is likely a reference to truffle hogs. Also, this quote could hint to the pigrons, as the Scaly Truffle summons one.
- The line "If you cant beat him, eat him" may be a reference to the Children's television show Kirby, Right Back At Ya where that line is used in the show's main theme song.
- The line "Between you and me, [Dryad's name] is the only one I trust. She is the only one here who hasn't tried to eat me or use me in a potion." is a reference to how Glowing Mushrooms can be used to create Healing Potions or could be eaten before 1.2 to restore Health.
- Truffle mentioning the Clothier chewing on his foot and people saying if you can't beat 'em, eat 'em may hint at blue mushrooms being addictive. His "Everything glowing blue" line may also hint at blue mushrooms being psychedelic drugs, like real life magic mushrooms.
- The line "As if living underground is bad enough, jerks like you come in and steal my children." reference that he is a Glowing Mushroom, and people often take glowing mushrooms from the Mushroom Biome.
- 1.2.4: Fixed bug where Truffles had a hole in his shop if you didn't meet a requirement.
- 1.2.3: Now requires a mechanical boss to be defeated before selling the Mushroom Spear.
- 1.2: Introduced.