|Use time||16 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Rapidly throws life stealing daggers|
The Vampire Knives are a Hardmode post-Plantera weapon that fires projectiles, yet inflicts melee damage and has no mana or ammunition cost. The player is healed by a small amount with each enemy hit. The Vampire Knives are always found inside the Dungeon's Crimson Chest in Crimson worlds (Corruption worlds will not contain one). A Crimson Key will be needed to open the chest.
Vampire Knives fire between 4 and 8 fast knife projectiles at a maximum spread of approximately 45 degrees. The 5th through 8th knives have a 50%, 25%, 12.5%, and 6.25% chance to be thrown, respectively (average is 5.625 knives thrown). The knives are not affected by gravity, but at 28 tiles will begin to spin and fade, dissipating entirely after another 26 tiles (54 tiles total range). The knives may disappear visually a few tiles before they actually become ineffective. The knives deliver the weapon's full damage per knife until they begin spinning and fading, at which point their damage drops gradually until they dissipate.
The Knives heal the player with each hit, shown visually as a red beam coming from the hit enemy to the player. The healing effect is 7.5% (rounded up) of the damage dealt by the hit. For example, it will heal 3 points of health for every 40 damage dealt.
The best Modifier for this weapon is Godly.
- The Vampire Knives can be considered the Crimson version of the Corruption's Scourge of the Corruptor, though the latter lacks a healing feature.
- Enemies with multiple segments will heal the player per segment hit, even if the segments all share a single life count.
- Melee damage bonuses and Modifiers increase healing. Also, using Flasks like the Flask of Ichor, which reduces enemy defense, causes hits to inflict greater damage and therefore more healing.
- Melee attack speed bonuses and Modifiers increase the Knives' range.
- In TShock Servers, spamming this weapon may trigger Terraria's automatic hack-detection feature and thus disconnect the player.
- Vampire knives will pass through walls if you are standing right next to them.
- The Vampire Knives are a powerful endgame weapon. Despite its low per-knife damage, it can cause high damage when multiple knives impact. It can be spammed continuously at range while healing the player, at no ammo, mana, or consumable item cost.
- This weapon is especially effective against bosses. With proper preparation, it is virtually impossible to die.
- For more fun, try to use Frost Armor with Magma Stone/Fire Gauntlets, and Flask of Cursed Flames all together.
- If a targeted enemy is under constant damage, such as when standing in lava or below a cloud summoned by the Nimbus Rod, there may not be enough "openings" for the Vampire Knives to hurt it. In such cases the knives will appear to stop working and not heal the player.
- The Vampire Knives may alternately be a reference either to Dio Brando, a knife-throwing vampire who could stop time, or Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou Project. Sakuya serves a vampire, and can infinitely throw, recover, and re-throw the same knives thanks to stopping time, and the weapon's knives are fired in a wave pattern similar to Sakuya's knife-throwing pattern. Sakuya herself references Dio Brando through many abilities that are similar in name and function, so a reference to either can be interpreted as a reference to the other.
- 126.96.36.199: The attack speed, damage, knockback, and life return has been lowered slightly.
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed rare bug where the item would spawn pre hard-mode in the upper dungeon.
- 1.2: Introduced.