|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
|Knockback||2.75 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||16 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Rapidly throws life stealing daggers|
|Internal Item ID: 1569|
The Vampire Knives are a Hardmode post-Plantera weapon that auto-fires a spread of projectiles, but inflicts melee damage and has no mana or ammunition cost. The player is healed by a small amount with each hit scored on an enemy. The Vampire Knives are always found inside the Dungeon's Crimson Chest in Crimson worlds (Corruption worlds will not contain one). A Crimson Key will be needed to open the chest.
Vampire Knives fire between 4 and 8 fast knife projectiles at a maximum spread of approximately 45 degrees. The 5th through 8th knives have a 50%, 25%, 12.5%, and 6.25% chance to be thrown, respectively (average is 5.625 knives thrown). The knives are not affected by gravity, but at 28 tiles will begin to spin and fade, dissipating entirely after another 26 tiles (54 tiles total range). The knives may disappear visually a few tiles before they actually become ineffective. The knives deliver the weapon's full damage per knife until they begin spinning and fading, at which point their damage drops gradually until they dissipate.
Whenever a knife hits an enemy, a red beam extends to the player, healing them. The healing effect is 7.5% (rounded up) of the damage dealt by the hit. For example, it will heal 3 points of health for every 40 damage dealt.
The Vampire Knives benefit from armor and accessories that provide melee bonuses, such as Turtle armor and the Fire Gauntlet, and not from ranged or magic bonuses, like those provided by Shroomite armor.
Its best Modifier is Godly.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Vampire Knives can be considered the Crimson version of the Corruption's Scourge of the Corruptor, though the latter lacks a healing feature.
- Melee damage bonuses and Modifiers increase healing. Also, using Flasks like the Flask of Ichor, which reduces enemy defense, causes hits to inflict greater damage and therefore more healing.
- Melee attack speed bonuses and Modifiers increase the Knives' range and velocity.
- Vampire Knives can glitch through single block-thick walls if you are standing right next to them.
- Vampire Knives will not absorb health from Critters and Deadly Spheres.
- Some higher melee speed bonuses will cripple the Vampire Knives, as they may only throw every other swing.
- Vampire Knives are less useful against the Moon Lord, because of the Moon Bite debuff that he can apply to the player, which disables the life-stealing effect of the knives.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Vampire Knives are a powerful endgame weapon. Despite its low per-knife damage, it can cause high damage when multiple knives impact. They can be shot continuously at range while healing the player, at no ammo, mana, or consumable item cost.
- This weapon is effective against bosses. With proper preparation, it can be virtually impossible to die.
- For more fun, try using Frost Armor with Magma Stone/Fire Gauntlets, and Flask of Cursed Flames all together.
- If a targeted enemy is under constant damage, such as when standing in lava or below a cloud summoned by the Nimbus Rod, there may not be enough "openings" for the Vampire Knives to hurt it. In such cases the knives will appear to stop working and not heal the player.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.2.4: Fixed issue where Death Sickle and Vampire Knives would not animate properly on other players in multiplayer.
- 1.2.2: Items which regenerate health per hit now have a cap of 2 hearts per second.
- 18.104.22.168: The attack speed, damage, knockback, and life return has been lowered slightly.
- 22.214.171.124: Fixed rare bug where the item would spawn pre hard-mode in the upper dungeon.
- 1.2: Introduced.
| Post-Plantera entities |
|Accessories||Celestial Stone • Festive Wings • Ghost Wings • Hercules Beetle • Hoverboard • Master Ninja Gear • Necromantic Scroll • Papyrus Scarab • Pygmy Necklace • Rifle Scope • Sniper Scope • Spooky Wings • Sun Stone • Tabi • Tattered Fairy Wings • Solar Wings • Vortex Booster • Nebula Mantle • Stardust Wings|
|Armor||Beetle armor • Shroomite armor • Spectre armor • Tiki armor • Spooky armor • Solar Flare armor • Vortex armor • Nebula armor • Stardust armor|
|Bosses||Golem • Mourning Wood • Pumpking • Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen • Martian Saucer • Lunatic Cultist • Celestial Tower • Moon Lord|
|Crafting||Autohammer • Ancient Manipulator • Lihzahrd Furnace • Ectoplasm • Spectre Bar • Shroomite Bar • Spooky Wood • Beetle Husk • Luminite Bar • Solar Fragment • Vortex Fragment • Nebula Fragment • Stardust Fragment|
|Enemies||Blue Armored Bones • Bone Lee • Diabolist • Dungeon Spirit • Flying Snake • Giant Cursed Skull • Hell Armored Bones • Lihzahrd • Necromancer • Paladin • Ragged Caster • Skeleton Commando • Skeleton Sniper • Tactical Skeleton|
|Events||Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Event|
|Tools||Picksaw • The Axe • Shroomite Digging Claw • Spectre Pickaxe • Spectre Hamaxe • Spectre Paintbrush • Spectre Paint Roller • Spectre Paint Scraper • Laser Drill • Solar Flare Pickaxe • Solar Flare Axe • Solar Flare Hamaxe • Solar Flare Hammer • Solar Flare Drill • Solar Flare Chainsaw • Vortex Pickaxe • Vortex Axe • Vortex Hamaxe • Vortex Hammer • Vortex Drill • Vortex Chainsaw • Nebula Pickaxe • Nebula Axe • Nebula Hamaxe • Nebula Hammer • Nebula Drill • Nebula Chainsaw • Stardust Pickaxe • Stardust Axe • Stardust Hamaxe • Stardust Hammer • Stardust Drill • Stardust Chainsaw • Drill Containment Unit|
|Weapons||Bat Scepter • Blizzard Staff • Candy Corn Rifle • Chain Gun • Christmas Tree Sword • Elf Melter • Flower Pow • Grenade Launcher • Golem Fist • Heat Ray • Inferno Fork • Jack 'O Lantern Launcher • Keybrand • Leaf Blower • Magnet Sphere • Nettle Burst • North Pole • Paladin's Hammer • Piranha Gun • Possessed Hatchet • Proximity Mine Launcher • Pulse Bow • Pygmy Staff • Rainbow Gun • Raven Staff • Razorpine • Rocket Launcher • Scourge of the Corruptor • Shadowbeam Staff • Sniper Rifle • Snowman Cannon • Spectre Staff • Staff of Earth • Stake Launcher • Stynger • Staff of the Frost Hydra • The Horseman's Blade • Vampire Knives • Venus Magnum • Wasp Gun • Laser Machinegun • Xenopopper • Electrosphere Launcher • Charged Blaster Cannon • Influx Waver • Solar Eruption • Daybreak • Vortex Beater • Phantasm • Nebula Arcanum • Nebula Blaze • Stardust Cell Staff • Stardust Dragon Staff • Star Wrath • Celebration • Last Prism • Lunar Flare • Rainbow Crystal Staff • Lunar Portal Staff • S.D.M.G. • Terrarian • Meowmere|
|Other Items||Temple Key • Biome Key Mold • Biome Key • Wisp in a Bottle|