|Use time||16 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Rapidly throw life stealing daggers|
In spite of their ranged nature, they are considered Melee Weapons. Unlike most other projectiles, the knives thrown from this weapon do not give way to gravity, but will instead simply start to spin, their damage reduced severely, and will dissipate a short time after initially being thrown.
As of 126.96.36.199, the Vampire Knives have been reduced in effectiveness but are still generally considered one of the best melee weapons in the game.
- You can increase the range at which the knives begin to spin by increasing melee attack speed.
- This weapon is especially effective against bosses. With proper preparation, it is virtually impossible to die.
- Armor that boosts melee power also effectively boosts defense - by increasing damage output, healing will be increased as well.
- Using Flasks (especially the Flask of Ichor, which reduces enemy defense,) greatly increases the effectiveness of this weapon.
- For more fun, try to use Frost Armor with Magma Stone/Fire Gauntlets, and Flask of Cursed Flames all together...
- The best Modifier for this weapon is Godly.
- The vampire knives will heal the player 7.5% (rounded up) of the damage dealt by this weapon. To put that into perspective, it will heal 3 points of health for every 40 damage dealt.
- In TShock Servers, spamming this weapon may trigger Terraria's automatic hack-detection feature and thus disconnect the player.
- The Vampire Knives may alternately be a reference either to Dio Brando, a knife-throwing vampire who could stop time, or Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou Project. Sakuya serves a vampire, and can infinitely throw, recover, and re-throw the same knives thanks to stopping time, and the weapon's knives are fired in a wave pattern similar to Sakuya's knife-throwing pattern. Sakuya herself references Dio Brando through many abilities that are similar in name and function, so a reference to either can be interpreted as a reference to the other.
- 188.8.131.52: The attack speed, damage, knockback, and life return has been lowered slightly.
- 184.108.40.206: Fixed rare bug where the item would spawn pre hard-mode in the upper dungeon.
- 1.2: Introduced.