|Use time||16 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Rapidly throws life stealing daggers|
The Vampire Knives are a Hardmode post-Plantera weapon that auto-fires a spread of projectiles, but inflicts melee damage and has no mana or ammunition cost. The player is healed by a small amount with each enemy hit. The Vampire Knives are always found inside the Dungeon's Crimson Chest in Crimson worlds (Corruption worlds will not contain one). A Crimson Key will be needed to open the chest.
Vampire Knives fire between 4 and 8 fast knife projectiles at a maximum spread of approximately 45 degrees. The 5th through 8th knives have a 50%, 25%, 12.5%, and 6.25% chance to be thrown, respectively (average is 5.625 knives thrown). The knives are not affected by gravity, but at 28 tiles will begin to spin and fade, dissipating entirely after another 26 tiles (54 tiles total range). The knives may disappear visually a few tiles before they actually become ineffective. The knives deliver the weapon's full damage per knife until they begin spinning and fading, at which point their damage drops gradually until they dissipate.
The Knives heal the player whenever damage is dealt on enemies, shown visually as a red beam coming from the hit enemy to the player. The healing effect is 7.5% (rounded up) of the damage dealt by the hit. For example, it will heal 3 points of health for every 40 damage dealt.
The Vampire Knives benefit from armor and accessories that provide melee bonuses, such as Turtle armor and the Fire Gauntlet, and not from ranged or magic bonuses, like those provided by Shroomite armor.
The best Modifier for this weapon is Godly.
- The Vampire Knives can be considered the Crimson version of the Corruption's Scourge of the Corruptor, though the latter lacks a healing feature.
- Melee damage bonuses and Modifiers increase healing. Also, using Flasks like the Flask of Ichor, which reduces enemy defense, causes hits to inflict greater damage and therefore more healing.
- Melee attack speed bonuses and Modifiers increase the Knives' range.
- In TShock Servers, spamming this weapon may trigger Terraria's automatic hack-detection feature and thus disconnect the player.
- Vampire Knives can glitch through single block-thick walls if you are standing right next to them.
- Vampire Knives will not absorb health from Critters.
- The Vampire Knives are a powerful endgame weapon. Despite its low per-knife damage, it can cause high damage when multiple knives impact. It can be spammed continuously at range while healing the player, at no ammo, mana, or consumable item cost.
- This weapon is especially effective against bosses. With proper preparation, it can be virtually impossible to die.
- For more fun, try using Frost Armor with Magma Stone/Fire Gauntlets, and Flask of Cursed Flames all together.
- If a targeted enemy is under constant damage, such as when standing in lava or below a cloud summoned by the Nimbus Rod, there may not be enough "openings" for the Vampire Knives to hurt it. In such cases the knives will appear to stop working and not heal the player.
- Wearing a Cross Necklace or Star Veil while using the Vampire Knives will greatly improve the character's survivability.
- 1.2.4: Fixed issue where Death Sickle and Vampire Knives would not animate properly on other players in multiplayer.
- 1.2.2: Items which regenerate health per hit now have a cap of 2 hearts per second.
- 22.214.171.124: The attack speed, damage, knockback, and life return has been lowered slightly.
- 126.96.36.199: Fixed rare bug where the item would spawn pre hard-mode in the upper dungeon.
- 1.2: Introduced.
| Post-Plantera entities |
|Accessories||Celestial Stone • Festive Wings • Ghost Wings • Hoverboard • Master Ninja Gear • Rifle Scope • Sniper Scope • Spooky Wings • Sun Stone • Tabi • Tattered Fairy Wings|
|Armor||Beetle armor • Shroomite armor • Spectre armor|
|Bosses||Golem • Mourning Wood • Pumpking • Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen|
|Crafting||Autohammer • Lihzahrd Furnace • Ectoplasm • Shroomite Bar • Spooky Wood|
|Enemies||Blue Armored Bones • Bone Lee • Diabolist • Dungeon Spirit • Flying Snake • Giant Cursed Skull • Hell Armored Bones • Lihzahrd • Necromancer • Paladin • Ragged Caster • Skeleton Commando • Skeleton Sniper • Tactical Skeleton|
|Events||Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon|
|Tools||Picksaw • The Axe • Shroomite Digging Claw • Spectre Pickaxe • Spectre Hamaxe • Spectre Paintbrush • Spectre Paint Roller • Spectre Paint Scraper|
|Weapons||Bat Scepter • Blizzard Staff • Candy Corn Rifle • Chain Gun • Christmas Tree Sword • Elf Melter • Flower Pow • Grenade Launcher • Golem Fist • Heat Ray • Inferno Fork • Jack 'O Lantern Launcher • Keybrand • Leaf Blower • Magnet Sphere • Nettle Burst • North Pole • Paladin's Hammer • Piranha Gun • Possessed Hatchet • Proximity Mine Launcher • Pulse Bow • Pygmy Staff • Rainbow Gun • Raven Staff • Razorpine • Rocket Launcher • Scourge of the Corruptor • Shadowbeam Staff • Sniper Rifle • Snowman Cannon • Spectre Staff • Staff of Earth • Stake Launcher • Stynger • Staff of the Frost Hydra • The Horseman's Blade • Vampire Knives • Venus Magnum • Wasp Gun|
|Other Items||Temple Key • Biome Key Mold • Biome Key • Wisp in a Bottle|