Wall of Flesh
Wall of Flesh
|AI Type||Wall of Flesh Body AI|
|Damage||50 / 150 (melee)|
|Max Life||8000 / 11200|
|Debuff duration||While the player is within 1800 Meters (900 Blocks) from the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.|
|Debuff duration||When the player is within 1800 Meters (900 Blocks) from and behind the boss.|
|Debuff tooltip||You are being sucked into the mouth.|
|Internal NPC ID: 113|
The Wall of Flesh is a pre-Hardmode boss, and is spawnable only in The Underworld. It is considered to be the most difficult boss before entering Hardmode. Once defeated, the world permanently converts to Hardmode.
To defeat the Wall of Flesh, the player must attack either its eyes or its mouth. They all share the same life counter, so attacking any of the three will deplete the boss' total health. Attacking the eyes causes the most damage, as they have the lowest defense. Its other parts are transparent to weapons, so attacking those will not deplete its health.
Summoning[edit | edit source]Guide Voodoo Doll is dropped into lava in The Underworld while the Guide is alive (this must be done in The Underworld; lava in any other layer will not work, and not summon the Wall of Flesh). This kills the Guide and summons the boss. It can be done either by killing the Voodoo Demon that carries the Doll while it flies above a lava pool, or by picking up the dropped Guide Voodoo Doll and throwing it into the lava manually. On the Mobile version, you can simply tap it in your hotbar, or you can drag and drop it from your hotbar to the lava.
If the Guide is not alive when the Guide Voodoo Doll is destroyed, the Wall of Flesh will not be summoned, and the item is considered wasted. If you have already summoned the Wall of Flesh recently, make sure the Guide has respawned before attempting to summon the Wall of Flesh once again. This is not suggested, but if the Guide is alive, and the Wall of Flesh did not summon, it is still lurking around your world, and you must reach it and defeat it, or wait a few minutes and try it again. On the Desktop version and Console version, one can use the housing menu to see which NPCs are still alive. On the Mobile version, you can check the minimap to see if the guide is there or not.
The Wall of Flesh's sweep direction is determined by its spawn location. Spawning it anywhere left of the center of the world will cause it to sweep from left to right, while spawning it right of center will cause it to sweep right to left. Maximum fight space can be achieved by spawning it at the extreme right or left of the world, though these areas have fewer natural structures and may require additional lava survival gear or construction.
Summoning The Wall of Flesh too close to world border will not spawn him even if the Guide is alive. (Sometimes the Guide does not show up on the map).
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it slowly sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight while contending with the Underworld's usual hazards. The Wall of Flesh moves faster as its health depletes. On Expert Mode, it can reach up to 50 mph (as compared to the Hermes Boots at only 30 mph, and Lightning Boots at 40) while at or below 500 HP. It must be killed before it reaches the end of the map, otherwise it will despawn and all living players in The Underworld will die (with the unique death message "<PlayerName> was Licked.").
Keep this behavior in mind when preparing an Arena, as the fight will take you many screens away (unless you are already using Hardmode gear). Any platform you build will need to be very long, consider making a bridge. A keen bridge should be at least 400 blocks long, for players with pre-hardmode armor.
- The Wall of Flesh has small mouths called The Hungry, each attached by a long vein, which move towards and damage players. As the Wall of Flesh's main body takes damage, they deal more damage and become more resistant to attacks. When they've suffered enough damage, they detach and chase players at a very fast speed. In Expert Mode, the Hungry respawn as long as the Wall of Flesh is alive.
- The Wall of Flesh's eyes fire lasers. As its health decreases, the lasers increase in damage, speed, and frequency.
- The Wall of Flesh burps Leeches from its mouth that chase players. These will always drop Hearts when killed. This is ideal to the player if they are low on health.
Immediately upon the Wall of Flesh's spawning, the player is afflicted with the Horrified debuff, which prevents fleeing from the battle. Players that attempt to leave the Underworld or get behind the Wall of Flesh are immediately snatched by The Tongue and pulled directly into the Wall of Flesh's mouth, inflicting serious and critical damage. If the player teleports beyond the reach of the Tongue by using a Magic Mirror, Recall Potion or other forms of quick transportation, the debuff instead kills the player immediately, returning the message "<PlayerName> tried to escape." This can also happen after dying, if you try to return to the boss.
Aftermath:[edit | edit source]
When the Wall of Flesh is killed, it leaves its drops in a floating, fully enclosed box of Demonite Bricks or Crimtane Bricks, depending if your world was generated with the Crimson or Corruption biome. This was to prevent its drops from falling into lava. One of the drops is always the Pwnhammer, which then becomes an essential tool that helps players transfer into Hardmode. It is also not guaranteed that you get the Breaker Blade, Laser Rifle, or the Clockwork Assault Rifle.
After defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time, you will receive a status message that will display "The ancient spirits of light and dark have been released." and your world will enter Hardmode, which is filled with tougher enemies and Hardmode ores. This will also generate two diagonal stripes of The Hallow, and Underground Corruption or Crimson, in a "V" pattern from the center of the Underworld all the way to the Surface (and higher, as Floating Islands in these paths will also be converted). There is a very small chance, however, that the Hallow will spawn at or below 1%, but it will never reach 0%, unless you personally remove it.
Hardmode enemies will begin spawning as soon as the Wall of Flesh is defeated. The stripes of Corruption/Crimson and Hallow, however, will not spawn until the status message appears.
Note: See Hardmode for more extensive information.
Components[edit | edit source]
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Still Hungry • "Defeat the Wall of Flesh, the master and core of the world who arises after a great, burning sacrifice."|
|Defeat the Wall of Flesh for the first time.|
|Its Hard • "Unleash the ancient spirits of light and darkness across your world, enabling much stronger foes and showering the world with dazzling treasures (and rainbows!)."|
|Challenge Accepted • "You have unlocked Hard Mode!"|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Take care to avoid accidentally letting a Voodoo Demon drop its doll into lava when you're not prepared to fight, as this will also summon the Wall of Flesh.
- If you have problems getting the Guide to spawn, make sure there is no Event in progress. Traveling back to your world's original spawn point can reveal an ongoing event, like a Goblin Invasion, and allow you to complete it. It also must be daytime for the Guide to respawn.
- If you kill Wall of Flesh too fast, (You kill it while it hasn't entered your world yet (to the far left or far right)), the item will also drop outside the world and therefore be unable to pick up. This is most easily achieved if you have a high attack summon like the Stardust Dragon.
- If the Guide NPC is killed by lava in the Underworld, the Wall of Flesh will summon.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Mobility-enhancing items, such as Gravitation Potion, Rocket Boots/Spectre Boots and various Hooks can make traversing the Underworld much easier. Similarly, items like Obsidian Skin Potions, Lava Waders, or an Obsidian Rose can mitigate the underworld's many lava pools and other ambient hazards.
- The Wall of Flesh attempts to cover the entire Underworld cavern space by moving its eyes up and down; it orients by existence/absence of solid blocks and liquids 4-5 tiles above and beneath the eyes. That means making a bridge will make the eyes stay at constant height 4-7 blocks from the bridge.
- The player can build a long wooden Platform going along the underworld quite high up so the structures, lava and mounds of ash do not get in the way.
- Making a platform with explosion-immune blocks (such as Dungeon Bricks) and proceeding to use Dynamite can be extremely effective if the player times their throws well.
- Try not to use melee weapons if you are fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time, because you take a sizable amount of damage from touching the Wall of Flesh or its many Hungries. If you find one however, a Dark Lance works very well with a long walkway.
- Beenades are a highly effective weapon against the Wall of Flesh, especially in Expert mode.
- The Bee's Knees is a useful weapon for extra damage, as well as the Molten Fury or Phoenix Blaster.
- A Water Bolt is an excellent weapon, because even if the player dies, the projectile will bounce, giving the possibility to kill the WoF after the player's death.
- A good pre-Hardmode weapon is the Minishark with the Hurtful Modifier. Obtaining around 270 Meteor Shots as ammunition is an effective way to kill it quickly, preferably with the Imp Staff as well.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Wall of Flesh is the only boss (excluding Moon Lord and Frost Moon/Pumpkin Moon bosses) that does not despawn based on player distance. Once summoned, it only despawns once it reaches the edge of the world, also killing the player.
- When the Wall of Flesh is alive, it is possible for the Guide NPC to respawn during the battle with the WoF. Dropping another Guide Voodoo Doll into lava will kill the Guide. However, this will not summon the Wall of Flesh again.
- Despite being based around flesh, the Wall of Flesh does not bear much semblance to, and was in the game long before Crimson.
- Because killing the Wall of Flesh creates strips of Hallow and Corruption, if you defeat the WoF near the middle of the map, it may drop a Soul of Light or Soul of Night on death, proving that the world is in fact converted to Hardmode before it says so.
- One of the Cyborg's quotes is "Have you defeated the Wall of <Guide's Name>?", which is a reference to the Wall of Flesh being spawned when the player sacrifices the Guide.
- There is a character in the cartoon Adventure Time with the same name, only it appears peach-colored (like actual flesh) and lives in a place called "Dark Forest".
History[edit | edit source]
- 184.108.40.206: Has new AI for Expert Mode and will drop its own Treasure Bag.
- Can now drop the Summoner Emblem.
- Drops will now be encased in Crimtane Bricks if the world was generated with Crimson.
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance to drop the Wall of Flesh Mask.
- 1.2: Now has a chance to drop the Wall of Flesh Trophy.
- 1.1: Introduced.