Wall of Flesh
Wall of Flesh
|AI Type||Wall of Flesh Body AI|
|Damage||50 / 150 (melee)|
|Max Life||8000 / 11200|
|Debuff duration||For the entire boss fight|
|Debuff tooltip||You have seen something nasty, there is no escape.|
|Inflicts debuff||The Tongue|
|Debuff duration||Until the player is in front of the boss again|
|Debuff tooltip||You are being sucked into the mouth|
|Internal NPC ID: 113|
- For the item, see Flesh Block Wall.
"...The master and core of the world..."
To defeat the Wall of Flesh, you must attack either its eyes or its mouth. They all share the same life counter, so shooting at any of the three will deplete the boss' total health. Shooting at the eyes causes the most damage, as they have the lowest defense. Its other body parts are transparent to weapons, so attacking those will not deplete its health.
Summoning[edit | edit source]Guide Voodoo Doll is dropped into lava in The Underworld while the Guide is alive (this must be done in The Underworld; lava in any other layer will not work). This kills the Guide and summons the boss. It can be done either by killing the Voodoo Demon that carries the Doll while it flies above a lava pool, or by picking up the dropped Doll and throwing it into the lava yourself. On the Mobile version, you can simply tap it in your hotbar, or you can drag and drop it from your hotbar to the lava.
If the Guide is not alive when the Doll is destroyed, the Wall of Flesh will not spawn, and the Doll will be wasted. If you have already summoned the Wall of Flesh recently, make sure the Guide has respawned before attempting to summon the Wall again. On the Desktop version and Console version, one can use the housing menu to see which NPCs are still alive.
The Wall of Flesh's sweep direction is determined by its spawn location. Spawning it anywhere left of the center of the world will cause it to sweep from left to right, while spawning it right of center will cause it to sweep right to left. Maximum fight space can be achieved by spawning it at the extreme right or left of the world, though these areas have fewer natural structures and may require additional lava survival gear or construction.
Summoning The Wall of Flesh too close to world border will not spawn him even if the Guide is alive.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The Wall of Flesh is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it steadily sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight while contending with the Underworld's usual hazards. The Wall of Flesh moves faster as it gets more wounded, and on Expert Mode it can reach as fast as a player running at full speed with Hermes Boots. It must be killed before it reaches the end of the map, otherwise it will despawn and all living players in The Underworld will die (with the unique death message "<PLAYERNAME> was Licked").
Keep this behavior in mind when preparing an Arena, as the fight will take you many screens away (unless you are already using Hardmode gear). Any platform you build will need to be very long (ie. tile length reaching in the thousands).
- The Wall has small mouths called The Hungry, each attached by a long vein, which move towards and damage players. As the Wall of Flesh's main body takes damage, they deal more damage and become more resistant to attacks. When they've suffered enough damage, they detach and chase players.
- The Wall's eyes fire lasers. As its health decreases, the lasers increase in damage, speed, and frequency.
- The Wall burps Leeches from its mouth that chase players. These will always drop Hearts when killed.
Immediately upon the Wall of Flesh's spawning, the player is afflicted with the Horrified debuff, which prevents fleeing from the battle. Players that attempt to leave the Underworld or get behind the Wall of Flesh are grabbed by The Tongue and pulled directly into the Wall of Flesh's mouth, inflicting serious damage. If the player teleports beyond the reach of the tongue by using a Magic Mirror, Recall Potion or other means of quick transport, the debuff instead kills them immediately, returning the message" “<PLAYER NAME> tried to escape”. This can also happen after dying, if you try to return to the boss.
- The Hungry respawn, and do so at increasing rates as the boss takes damage.
- It reaches higher speeds as it takes damage. At around 500 health, that's when the Wall of Flesh accelerates its movement speed to match full Hermes Boots sprinting speed.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
When the Wall of Flesh is killed, it leaves its drops in a floating, fully enclosed box of Demonite Bricks is you world has generated with The Corruption, or Crimtane Bricks if your world is generated with the Crimson to prevent its drops from falling into lava. One of the drops is always the Pwnhammer, which becomes an essential tool that helps players transfer into Hardmode.
After defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time, a mini box on the bottom left corner will show up saying "The Ancient Spirits of Light and Dark Have Been Released" and your world will enter Hardmode, and will be filled with tougher enemies. This will also generate two diagonal stripes of The Hallow, and Corruption or Crimson, in a "V" pattern from the center of the Underworld all the way to the Surface (and higher, as Floating Islands in these paths will also be converted).
Note: See Hardmode for more extensive information.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Still Hungry is the achievement you earn for defeating the Wall of Flesh for the first time.
Components[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Take care to avoid accidentally letting a Voodoo Demon drop its doll into lava, as this will also summon the Wall of Flesh.
- If you have problems getting the Guide to spawn, make sure there isn't an Event in progress. Traveling back to your world's original spawn point can reveal an ongoing event, like a Goblin Invasion, and allow you to complete it. It also must be daytime for the Guide to respawn.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Try not to use melee weapons if you are fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time, because you take a sizable amount of damage from touching the Wall of Flesh or its many Hungries. If you find one however, a Dark Lance works very well with a long walkway.
- Mobility-enhancing items, such as Gravitation Potion, Rocket Boots and various Hooks can make traversing the underworld much easier. Similarly, items like Obsidian Skin Potions, Lava Waders, or an Obsidian Rose can mitigate the underworld's ambient hazards.
- You may want to make a backup of your world in case you discover that you weren't ready for Hardmode yet.
- The Wall of Flesh attempts to cover the entire Underworld cavern space by moving its eyes up and down; it orients by existence/absence of Ash blocks 4-5 tiles above and beneath the eyes. That means making a bridge out of ash will make the eyes stay at constant height 4-7 blocks from the bridge.
- Water Walking Potion, Lava Waders, Rocket Boots/Spectre Boots, or Obsidian Skin Potion are of great help in mitigating the Underworld's many lava pools.
- Beenades are a highly effective weapon against the Wall of Flesh, especially in expert mode.
- You can make a long wooden platform going along the underworld quite high up so the stuctures, lava and mounds of ash do not get in the way.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is rumored that the Guide may actually be the Wall of Flesh. This is mainly hinted in-game by one of the Cyborg's quotes.
History[edit | edit source]
- 22.214.171.124: Has new AI for Expert Mode and will drop its own Treasure Bag.
- Can now drop the Summoner Emblem.
- Drops will now be encased in Crimtane Bricks if the world was generated with Crimson.
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance to drop the Wall of Flesh Mask.
- 1.2: Now has a chance to drop the Wall of Flesh Trophy.
- 1.1: Introduced.