|Use time||16 (very fast)|
|Tooltip||Casts a slow moving bolt of water|
|Internal Item ID: 165|
The Water Bolt is a Magic Weapon that auto-fires a slow blue ricocheting water-ball that travels in straight lines, emits a dim light, is unaffected by gravity, and pierces multiple enemies. The projectile can last up to 30 seconds, but will die when it ricochets 5 times or damages 10 enemies. The Water Bolt is uniquely found only in Dungeons, hidden as one of the many books on the shelves within the Dungeon, and cannot be crafted, purchased, or found in Chests.
Its best modifier is Mythical.
Locating the Book
Multiple Water Bolts are hidden amongst the books on shelves of most Dungeons. Despite its red appearance in an Inventory slot, the Water Bolt is always the blue book with a yellow band on it when on shelves. Since a careful visual inspection isn't always practical in the Dungeon due to frequent enemy attacks, any of the following methods can also be used to locate the Water Bolt:
- Hover the cursor over all books on the shelves of the Dungeon. When located, the Water Bolt shows as a tooltip beside the cursor. No other books show a tooltip.
- Right-click on all books seen. The only book that will drop from a right-click is the Water Bolt, as regular Books require the Pickaxe to free them (though the Pickaxe will also free the Water Bolt).
- Use the Pickaxe to free and pick up all books seen. One or more Water Bolts will eventually be picked up.
You will need to be standing near any books to be tested using the above methods. Tooltips will not show, nor will right-clicks cause the Water Bolt to drop, if the player is standing too far away. The proximity required is the same as for looking inside Chests or speaking to NPCs.
- When the projectile finally dissipates, the glowing embers it releases will fall through solid blocks and momentarily illuminate the area below.
- You don't always have to kill Skeletron to find one of these, as there may be one available just beyond the door. If you're very daring, you can go a little deeper without incurring immediate death by Dungeon Guardians. It's worth getting early, as it is very useful against pre-hardmode enemies. It can help with Boss fights, even against the Wall of Flesh, and Dungeon or Underground Jungle voyages, due its ricochet ability.
- The durability of the Water Bolt projectile, combined with its ability to ricochet and hit multiple foes, makes it very suitable for fighting groups of enemies, especially in flat valleys and straight passageways. It also has a low enough velocity for it to hit the same enemy more than once even without ricocheting.
- It can be used to detect Floating Islands, although Meteor Shots are preferable due to their higher speed.
- Projectile sprite changed.
- Base mana cost reduced from 14 to 10.
- Number of bounces reduced to 5.
- 1.1.1: Now can be reforged.
- 1.1: Sell cost added.
- Makes a new sound when used.
- Damage increased from 15 to 17.
- Mana to cast reduced from 20 to 14.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.