|Use time||16 (very fast)|
|Tooltip||Casts a slow moving bolt of water|
The Water Bolt is a Magic Weapon that auto-fires a slow blue ricocheting water-ball that travels in straight lines, emits a dim light, is unaffected by gravity, and pierces multiple enemies. The projectile can last up to 30 seconds, but will die when it ricochets 5 times or damages 10 enemies. The Water Bolt is uniquely found only in Dungeons, hidden as one of the many books on the shelves within, and cannot be crafted, purchased, or found in Chests.
The best Modifier a Water Bolt can acquire is Mythical.
|Multiple Water Bolts are hidden amongst the books on shelves of most Dungeons. Despite its orange/brown appearance in an Inventory slot, the Water Bolt is always the blue book with a white band on it when on shelves. Since a careful visual inspection isn't always practical in the Dungeon due to frequent enemy attacks, any of the following methods can also be used to locate the Water Bolt:
You will need to be standing near any books to be tested using the above methods. Tooltips will not show, nor will right-clicks cause the Water Bolt to drop, if the player is standing too far away. The proximity required is the same as for looking inside Chests or speaking to NPCs.
You don't always have to kill Skeletron to find one of these, as there is often one available just beyond the door. If you're very daring, you can go a little deeper without incurring immediate death by Dungeon Guardians. It's worth getting early, as it is pretty powerful.
- Note:The Water Bolt no longer shows its name when you move your cursor over it, nor does it break of the shelf by right-clicking, you must use a pickaxe to find it as of the 1.2 update.
- The durability of the Water Bolt projectile, combined with its ability to ricochet and hit multiple foes, makes it very suitable to fighting enemies in flat valleys and straight passageways.
- It can also be used to detect Floating Islands, although Meteor Shots are preferable due to their higher speed.
- When the projectile finally dissipates, the glowing embers it releases will fall through solid blocks and momentarily illuminate the area below.
- Because of the Water Bolt's ricochet on walls and ability to pass through enemies, it is great for use against bosses or large groups of enemies when in small spaces, or in open fields.
- The relatively high knockback on a piercing ability make it extremely useful in situations where you will be facing multiple melee enemies, such as Goblin Armies or Blood Moons. By waiting for a half second after each shot, the relatively low mana cost can be easily recovered between shots, and the enemies will keep bouncing off the knockback, especially if you have a high-knockback modifier.
- Projectile sprite changed.
- Base mana cost reduced from 14 to 10.
- Number of bounces reduced to 5.
- 1.1.1: Now can be reforged.
- 1.1: Sell cost added.
- Makes a new sound when used.
- Damage increased from 15 to 17.
- Mana to cast reduced from 20 to 14.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.