|Damage||19 / 17 (Magic)|
|Use time||16 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Casts a slow moving bolt of water|
|Internal Item ID: 165|
The Water Bolt is a magic weapon that auto-fires a slow blue ricocheting water-ball that travels in straight lines, emits a dim light, is unaffected by gravity, and pierces multiple enemies. The projectile can last up to 30 seconds, but will die when it ricochets 5 times or damages 10 enemies. The Water Bolt is uniquely found only in Dungeons, hidden as one of the many books on the shelves within the Dungeon, and cannot be crafted, purchased, or found in Chests.
Its best Modifier is Mythical.
Location[edit | edit source]
Multiple Water Bolts are hidden amongst the books on shelves of most Dungeons. Despite its red appearance in an inventory slot, the Water Bolt is always the blue book with a yellow band on it when on shelves. Since a careful visual inspection isn't always practical in the Dungeon due to frequent enemy attacks, any of the following methods can also be used to locate the Water Bolt:
- Hover the cursor over all books on the shelves of the Dungeon. When located, the Water Bolt shows as a tooltip beside the cursor. No other books show a tooltip.
- Right-click on all books seen. The only book that will drop from a right-click is the Water Bolt, as regular books require the Pickaxe to free them (though the Pickaxe will also free the Water Bolt).
- Use the Pickaxe to free and pick up all books seen. One or more Water Bolts will eventually be picked up.
Tooltips will not show, nor will right-clicks cause the Water Bolt to drop, if the player is standing too far away. The proximity required is the same as for looking inside Chests or speaking to NPCs.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When the projectile finally dissipates, the glowing embers it releases will fall through solid blocks and momentarily illuminate the area below.
- Once it's taken from a shelf, it can not be put down again whatsoever.
- During a blood moon, the projectile created will be pink rather than blue.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is not explicitly required to defeat Skeletron to obtain a Water Bolt, as platforms with books can spawn above level 0, sometimes even in the room just past the door into the Dungeon. These can be safely retrieved without causing either Dungeon Guardians or unique Dungeon enemies to spawn. As the Water Bolt remains a powerful weapon up until Hardmode, it can be advantageous to check the Dungeon when starting a new world.
- The durability of the Water Bolt projectile, combined with its ability to ricochet and hit multiple foes, makes it very suitable for fighting groups of enemies, especially in flat valleys and straight passageways. It also has a low enough velocity for it to hit the same enemy more than once even without ricocheting.
- Because of their long range and ricochet, Water Bolt projectiles can be used to detect Floating Islands by firing upwards and waiting for the projectile to bounce off and return. Their low speed makes this tedious, however.
- The Water Bolt is very useful when fighting the Wall of Flesh, due to its ability to bounce up and down within the Underworld and piercing ability to fend off The Hungry.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In pre-release footage of the game, both the placed and held Water Bolt sprites were blue. The held Water Bolt sprites were later changed to red, without altering the placed Water Bolt's coloration.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- 188.8.131.52: Damage increased from 17 to 19.
- Projectile sprite changed.
- Base mana cost reduced from 14 to 10.
- Light effect changed
- 1.1.1: Now can be reforged.
- 1.1: Sell price added.
- Makes a new sound when used.
- Damage increased from 15 to 17.
- Mana to cast reduced from 20 to 14.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.