| Water Candle
|| 1 wide ˣ 1 high
| Use time
|| 14 (Very Fast)
|| Right-click or Pickaxe
|| Holding this may attract unwanted attention
| Grants buff
|| Water Candle (debuff)
| Buff duration
|| indefinite (while in range)
| Buff tooltip
|| Increased monster spawn rate
| Internal Item ID: 148
| Internal Buff ID: 86
| Internal Tile ID: 49
- For a complete list of candles, see Candle.
The Water Candle is an item that can be held or placed to increase enemy spawn rates. When placed, it activates the Water Candle debuff on any players in close proximity. It can be crafted ( Desktop version only), and is found on shelves in the Dungeon, which tends to contain at least a dozen. It is the opposite of the Peace Candle, which decreases enemy spawn rates, instead of increasing them.
Being in proximity of a placed Water Candle, or holding it, will increase all enemy spawn rates by 33%, and increase the maximum number of simultaneous on-screen enemies by 50%. Note that in order to be considered "holding" the Candle, it must be in the player's Hotbar and currently selected; merely being in a player's inventory will not suffice. Multiple Candles will not stack with each other - whether there are several placed, a stack of more than one being held, or a player is holding one while in range of a placed one.
The Water Candle can only be placed on platforms, work benches, and tables. They provide less light than an ordinary Candle, and cannot be wired to be turned off.
If a Peace Candle and a Water Candle are active at the same time, neither have any effect on spawn rates.
- In the console and mobile versions, the effect of a placed Water Candle will stack with that of a held Water Candle.
- Water Candles can be useful for farming enemies for rare items, since the increased spawn rate provides more enemies from which to acquire drops.
- The Water Candle can be placed underwater but it cannot be held underwater. It will not give off light underwater if held, but will if placed. It will increase enemy spawn rates underwater regardless, even if held.
- The Water Candle's effect stacks with that of the Battle Potion.
- Water Candles cannot be used to increase the spawn rates of seasonal events like the Pumpkin and Frost Moon or the Goblin and Pirate Invasion, though the increase in spawned enemies still applies to the Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse.
- Water Candles do not currently toggle on and off if wired.
- A placed Water Candle applies the debuff in a square shape roughly 48 blocks, or 96 feet, in each direction.
- There is an opposite item of the Water Candle, the Peace Candle, which will reduce spawn rates rather than increasing them.
- It may help to collect all Water Candles found in the Dungeon, as that will lower enemy spawn rates in the area.
- If the player enjoys fishing, it can often times be useful to place water candles around their town, as it increases the spawn rate of critters, while the NPC presence removes spawning of hostile monsters still. This means at night, more fireflies or lightning bugs spawn, and during rain more worms spawn.
- 184.108.40.206: Rarity increased from White to Blue. Crafting recipe added. Placed and held Water Candle effects no longer stack.
- 220.127.116.11: Fixed a bug where the map was showing Water Candle as Band of Regeneration.
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where Nurse would charge money to remove Water Candle debuff.
- 18.104.22.168: Debuff icon added.
- 1.2: Placed water candles also increase spawn rate
- 1.0.5: Candle carried in hand no longer emits light underwater.
- 1.0.4: Enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.