|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Tooltip||Holding this may attract unwanted attention|
The Water Candle is an item that can be used to attract enemies when held or placed. When placed, it can give the debuff Water Candle (debuff) when close enough. It can not be crafted, and can only be found in the shelves in the Dungeons, which tend to contain at least a dozen.
Being in the proximity of a Water Candle or holding it will increase all enemy spawn rates by 33%, and increase the maximum number of simultaneous on-screen enemies by 50%. A debuff icon will indicate whether a player is under this effect. Note that it must be held, simply being somewhere in the inventory will not suffice. Being within range of a placed water candle will also increase the spawn rate and maximum number of enemies by an equal amount. Multiple placed candles do not stack, but the bonuses from holding and placing a candle do.
The Water Candle can only be placed on platforms, work benches, and tables. They will provide less light than an ordinary Candle, and cannot be wired to be turned off.
- The Water Candle can be useful for farming enemies for rare items, since the increased spawn rate makes enemies spawn more frequently when placed. This use is best combined with Battle Potion to maximize enemy spawn rates.
- Water Candles (and Battle Potions) can not be used to increase the spawn rates of events like the Pumpkin and Frost Moon (seemingly except for the Blood Moon). Event spawn rates override the Water Candle's effect.
- The Water Candle can be placed underwater.
- The Water Candle will not give off light underwater if held in one's hand.
- This Water Candle's effect stacks with that of the Battle Potion.
- While standing in water, even though the candle will not appear in your hand when selected as your active item, it will still increase enemy spawn rates.
- While The Water Candle does not cause the Water Candle debuff while held in a player's hand, it does still increase enemy spawn rates.
- If found in the dungeon, it is suggested that you grab them to minimize enemy spawn rate.
- 18.104.22.168: Fixed a bug where the map was showing Water Candle as Band of Regeneration.
- 22.214.171.124: Buff icon added.
- 1.2: Placed water candles also increase spawn rate
- 1.0.5: Candle carried in hand no longer emits light underwater.
- 1.0.4: Enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
- User talk:0icke0: It seems that invasions overwrite the normal spawn rates, so the biome etc doesn't matter. Moreover it also overwrites spawn rate changes from Battle Potions and Water Candles.