|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Tooltip||Holding this may attract unwanted attention|
|Internal Item ID: 49|
The Water Candle is an item that can be held or placed to attract enemies. When placed, it activates the Water Candle debuff on any players in close proximity. It can only be found on shelves in the Dungeon, which tend to contain at least a dozen.
Being in proximity of a placed Water Candle, or holding it, will increase all enemy spawn rates by 33%, and increase the maximum number of simultaneous on-screen enemies by 50%. Multiple placed Candles do not stack, but a held and placed Candle does stack. Note that in order to be considered "holding" the Candle, it must be in the player's Hotbar and currently selected; merely being in a player's inventory will not suffice. Multiple held candles also do not stack (holding a pile of 99 has the same effect as holding 1).
A stacked Candle's effect is calculated off the modified value from any previous candle. A spawn limit example:
- Surface (day) hard mode: 6
- With one Candle (placed): 9 (+50%)
- With two Candles (one placed, one held): 13 (+50% of 9, rounded down)
It can be useful for farming enemies for rare items, since the increased spawn rate provides more enemies from which to acquire drops.
- The Water Candle can be placed underwater. It will not give off light underwater if held, but will if placed. It will increase enemy spawn rates underwater regardless, even if held.
- The Water Candle's effect stacks with that of the Battle Potion.
- Water Candles (and Battle Potions) can not be used to increase the spawn rates of events like the Pumpkin and Frost Moon, except for the Blood Moon. Event spawn rates override the Water Candle's effect.
- It may help to collect all Water Candles found in the Dungeon, as that will lower enemy spawn rates in the area.
- 220.127.116.11: Fixed a bug where the map was showing Water Candle as Band of Regeneration.
- 18.104.22.168: Buff icon added.
- 1.2: Placed water candles also increase spawn rate
- 1.0.5: Candle carried in hand no longer emits light underwater.
- 1.0.4: Enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.