|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Tool||Right-click or Pickaxe|
|Tooltip||Holding this may attract unwanted attention|
|Internal Item ID: 148|
The Water Candle is an item that can be held or placed to attract enemies. When placed, it activates the Water Candle debuff on any players in close proximity. It can only be found on shelves in the Dungeon, which tend to contain at least a dozen.
Being in proximity of a placed Water Candle, or holding it, will increase all enemy spawn rates by 33%, and increase the maximum number of simultaneous on-screen enemies by 50%. Multiple placed Candles do not stack, but a held and placed Candle does stack. Note that in order to be considered "holding" the Candle, it must be in the player's Hotbar and currently selected; merely being in a player's inventory will not suffice. Multiple held candles also do not stack (holding a pile of 99 has the same effect as holding 1).
A stacked Candle's effect is calculated off the modified value from any previous candle. A spawn limit example:
- Surface (day) hard mode: 6
- With one Candle (placed): 9 (+50%)
- With two Candles (one placed, one held): 13 (+50% of 9, rounded down)
It can be useful for farming enemies for rare items, since the increased spawn rate provides more enemies from which to acquire drops.
- The Water Candle can be placed underwater but it cannot be held underwater. It will not give off light underwater if held, but will if placed. It will increase enemy spawn rates underwater regardless, even if held.
- The Water Candle's effect stacks with that of the Battle Potion.
- Water Candles cannot be used to increase the spawn rates of seasonal events like the Pumpkin and Frost Moon or the Goblin and Pirate Invasion, though the increase in spawned enemies still applies to the Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse.
- Water Candles do not currently toggle on and off if wired.
- It may help to collect all Water Candles found in the Dungeon, as that will lower enemy spawn rates in the area.
- If the player enjoys fishing, it can often times be useful to place water candles around their town, as it increases the spawn rate of critters, while the NPC presence removes spawning of hostile monsters still. This means at night, more fireflies or lightning bugs spawn, and during rain more worms spawn.
- 184.108.40.206: Fixed a bug where the map was showing Water Candle as Band of Regeneration.
- 220.127.116.11: Debuff icon added.
- 1.2: Placed water candles also increase spawn rate
- 1.0.5: Candle carried in hand no longer emits light underwater.
- 1.0.4: Enemy spawn rate increase effect now works correctly when held.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.