| Max stack
|| Allows flight and slow fall
Wings are Hardmode Accessories that allow the player to fly temporarily by pressing and holding the jump key. Equipping Wings replaces jumps entirely with flight, rather than requiring a double-jump to activate. The flight time can be renewed once the player stands on a regular block. Wings also allow the player to glide down rather than fall, by continuing to hold the jump key after flight time has been exhausted. Glides can be sped up by holding the down key in addition. The player is immune to fall damage when Wings are equipped, whether or not the player has glided down, making the Lucky Horseshoe obsolete.
Wings flight time vary by type. Of the 1.2 wing types: Bee, Butterfly and Fairy provide the least time; Harpy, Bone, and Bat slightly more while Frozen, Flame, Ghost and Leaf Wings allow even higher flight.
The Halloween event adds two new varieties of wings, Tattered Fairy Wings and Spooky Wings, both of which are superior to Flame, Frozen and Ghost Wings.
The console version of Terraria has its own set of exclusive wings called the Sparkly Wings, which are sold by the Dryad.
The Hoverboard also is counted in-game as though it were a set of wings. (The effects of wings and hoverboards do not stack, and only the "lowest slot" accessory counts.) The hoverboard does not ascend as quickly as wings, but allows for faster horizontal travel when "hovering". The Hoverboard also has the 3rd longest vertical flight distance of Wings.
Flight is much more controlled with Wings than with Rocket Boots or Spectre Boots alone, and allow for much greater flight range. Wings also work while under Water. They are always visible on your character, unless you are using a weapon that adds something onto your back like the Leaf Blower, or while wearing Turtle Scale Mail, but fold into a low-profile image when not in midair.
Equipping multiple wings will not stack the flight ability. Only the lowest pair in the list will function.
 Flight Range
All other jump-boosting Accessories stack with Wings to increase flight range:
 Height and Glide Distance Comparison
These values have been repeatedly tested for accuracy. Glide Distance calculated from a 34-block high standing start (no upward thrust applied).
Bat Wings: [Height: 72 Blocks] [Glide Distance: 43 Blocks.]
Bee Wings: [Height: 67 Blocks] [Glide Distance: 45 Blocks.]
Bone Wings: [Height: 72 Blocks] [Glide Distance: 47 Blocks.]
Butterfly Wings: [Height: 67 Blocks] [Glide Distance: 46 Blocks.]
Fairy Wings: [Height: 67 Blocks] [Glide Distance: 46 Blocks.]
 Air Speed Comparison
Let's get the Lightning Boots as our base speed (note, they are 12.5% faster than normal boots).
All the percentages will be calculated based on the max ground running speed value. Wings will be grouped in tiers based on their speed.
- The first wings tier is Angel/Demon/Hoverboard (without boosting). Compared to Lightning Boots, the max air movement speed is 92%
- The second wings tier for speed is Jetpack's tier. The max speed is 96.2%.
- Third wings tier is Butterfly/Fairy/Leaf/Bee. The max speed is the same.
- Fourth wings tier is Harpy/Bone. The max speed is 103.6%
- Fifth wings tier is Flame/Frozen/Ghost/Tattered Fairy/Spooky. The max speed is 110%
- Sixth wings tier is Steampunk. The max speed is 114.8%
- Seventh wings tier is most devs wings. The max speed is 117%
- Eighth wings tier is Hoverboard (boosted). The max speed is 148%
- On top tier we have Red's wings with a max speed of 163%
The player is able to fly for exactly five seconds every time they press the jump key and hold it. Gliding, however, has no limit.
The player is able to fly more than 300 feet in a continous run unless they are obstructed by a block. Torches, Wood Platforms are able to be bypassed in flight; platforms only through the bottom. Most non-solid blocks are able to be bypassed.
NOTE: Bee Wings cause a slight sprite bug when flying creating a small pixel under the player.
Flight time per wings:
Here's a quick video guide on how to make all the wings, including the new ones, on YouTube.
The following wings cannot be crafted and are sold by NPCs:
| Steampunk Wings
|| Only obtainable via use of item spawning clients. Have an flight time even longer than Flame and Frozen wings, allowing almost double the flight distance of the original Angel Wings and Demon wings.
| Red's Wings
|| Only equippable by Redigit, one of the game's developers.
| Cenx's Wings
|| Only equippable by Cenx, one of the game's developers.
| D-Town's Wings
|| Only equippable by D-Town, one of the game's developers.
| Crowno's Wings
|| Only equippable by Crowno, one of the game's developers.
| Will's Wings
|| Only equippable by the game's developers.
- An Ice Rod can be used to lay blocks of ice to land in mid air, allowing you to stay in the air almost indefinitely, provided you have enough mana.
- Using Feather Fall Potion can also increase the duration of flight greatly, as the slow fall effect of the potion stacks with the wings, allowing very long glide.
- Similarly, holding an Umbrella will stack its slow fall effect with the wings.
- Use of Climbing Claws or any form of hook in conjunction with the wings can allow a flight-time reset when the wearer attaches to a block.
- The Cloud in a Balloon has a unique effect on Wings: They make your first flight very short (roughly half a second), requiring a double-jump for any real flight time. However, once you have double-jumped, flight is significantly faster than usual, and a smoke effect is added (not illuminated), similar to using the Spectre Boots alone (the smoke effect does not appear if both the Cloud in a Balloon and the Spectre Boots are equipped). The double-jump also causes the usual Cloud effect.
Comparison of different wing jump heights
- Equipping the Cloud in a Balloon but not using it, in conjunction with the hoverboard will allow you to hover (but not fly) forever.
All of the wing types (except Hoverboard and Jetpack) make the same sound when flapping.
When using wings, flight time is fully restored when the player uses any kind of Grapple Hook
, even if the player never stops moving.
- 22.214.171.124: Hoverboard added.
- 1.2.1: Spooky Wings and Tattered Fairy Wings added.
- 1.2: 12 new wing types added.
- 1.1: Angel Wings and Demon Wings introduced.