|Tooltip||Allows flight and slow fall|
Wings are Hardmode Accessories that allow the player to fly temporarily by pressing and holding the ↷ Jump key. They also provide immunity from fall damage, rendering the Lucky Horseshoe etc. unnecessary. By continuing to hold the ↷ Jump key after flight time has been exhausted, the player is able to glide. Gliding fall speed can be accelerated by holding the ▼ Down key in addition.
Equipping Wings generally replaces jumps entirely with flight, rather than requiring a double-jump to activate. Flight is much more controlled with Wings than with Rocket Boots or Spectre Boots alone, and allow for much greater flight range. Flight time is reset when the player stands on blocks, or grabs a block with Grappling Hooks or the Climbing Claws.
There are currently 22 types of obtainable Wings, one of which is exclusive to the console and mobile versions. Flight time and speed vary by type.
Types[edit | edit source]
|1||100%|| 107 ft
|103.5%||Demon Wings||20 + 10||25|
|Sparkly Wings||30|| console / mobile only.|
Also sold by Dryad (40 )
|Fin Wings|| Quest reward
from Angler.[note 1]
|2||115%|| 121 ft
|108.225%||Jetpack|| Sold by Steampunker (40 )
during moon phases 5-8.
| Light particles during use.|
Quicker ascents using the ▲ Up key.
|3||130%|| 135 ft
|Butterfly Wings||1||Light particles during use.|
|Fairy Wings||100||Light particles during use.|
|4||140%|| 144 ft
|100%(?)||Bat Wings||20||1||No speed bonuses.|
|5||160%|| 163 ft
|108.225%||Leaf Wings|| Sold by Witch Doctor (1 )|
in Jungle biome at night during Hardmode.[note 1][note 2]
|123.750%||Frozen Wings||20||1|| Visible in darkness|
but doesn't emit light.
|Flame Wings||1|| Light particles during use.|
|Beetle Wings||8||Completely silent.|
|6||170%|| 172 ft
|103.5%||Hoverboard||20||18|| Horizontal hovering with ▼ Down+↷ Jump.|
Hovering speed boosted to 166.6%
|123.750%||Festive Wings|| Dropped by
Everscream (Frost Moon).
|7||180%|| 182 ft
|Purchasable from Steampunker (1 ).|
|133.3%||Fishron Wings|| Dropped by Duke Fishron
| Quicker movement in liquids. |
25% extra ascent speed.
Bubbles during use, not lit.
|8||190%|| 191 ft
|131.625%||Will's Wings||Obtainable through a Treasure Bag (5% chance)|
|Crowno's Wings||Obtainable through a Treasure Bag (5% chance)|
|D-Town's Wings||Obtainable through a Treasure Bag (5% chance)|
|Cenx's Wings||Obtainable through a Treasure Bag (5% chance)|
|Red's Wings||Obtainable through a Treasure Bag (5% chance)|
- Obtainable without killing a Wyvern or a Mechanical Boss, but Hardmode is required.
- The Witch Doctor must be moved into the Jungle biome by the player, which can be done by building a suitable house there and then using the housing menu to move his flag to it. Using a Teleporter in addition can get him to appear there faster. Alternatively, a King Statue can be placed and then repeatedly activated until he is moved there.
- Most speed bonuses in the chart above apply only to horizontal movement. The Jetpack and Fishron Wings are the only Wings with accelerated ascents, though jump-boosting accessories also affect ascent speed.
- All Wings can be sold for 8 , except for the Fin Wings (10 ), and Leaf Wings (20 ). Developer-only Wings (classes 8 and 9) have no sell value.
Notes[edit | edit source]
|Cloud in a Bottle||no boost|
|All balloon accessories||+30% ascent speed|
||Rocket boot accessories||+42% Duration|
|Moon Charm||+4% ascent speed|
|Frog Leg||+48% ascent speed|
- Wings work under Water.
- Multiple Wings will not stack flight ability. Only those in the lowest Accessory slot will function.
- Some jump-boosting accessories do stack with Wings to boost flight (see chart to the right).
- Wings are always visible when equipped, except when using other equipment that adds graphics to the player's back, like the Leaf Blower or Turtle Scale Mail. They fold into a low-profile image when not in flight.
- When one Wing type is placed in a Vanity slot and the other in an Accessory slot, the full animation of the vanity Wings are shown, along with any lighting and particle effects. Flight speed and other functional characteristics follow those in the Accessory slot.
- "Unobtainable" Wings are only available through inventory editing software or other hacks. Most of them (classes 8 and 9) are intended only for use by members of Terraria's development staff.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- An Ice Rod can be used to lay blocks of ice to land in mid air, making it possible to remain in the air almost indefinitely.
- The slow-fall effect of Featherfall Potion or an Umbrella will stack with Wing glide, allowing for very long glides after flight time has been exhausted.
- By using the the Bundle of Balloons, Frog Leg, Fishron Wings, Frostspark Boots, Flying Carpet, and Featherfall Potion, the player can attain a total maximum of ~1400 blocks of flight distance.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- All of the wing types (except the Jetpack) make the same sound when flapping. The Hoverboard and Beetle Wings are silent.
- Before 1.3 released, the Fishron Wings had the greatest flight height of any legitimately obtainable wings, and were better than all developer Wings except for Red's Wings. This was because Red's Wings had infinite flight time, though this is no longer the case.
- You need 300 (320 on Console) Souls of Flight to obtain all craftable Wings, and 2 40 (1 80 on Console) to buy the purchased Wings.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed bug where Wing time would go into infinity if you held the ↷ Jump button while standing and having Rocket Boots equipped.
- 1.2.4: Fin Wings and Fishron Wings added. Fixed bug where wings wouldn't work after getting out of water with Merman accessories equipped.
- 184.108.40.206: You can only equip one pair of wings at a time.
- 1.2.2: Festive Wings added.
- 220.127.116.11: Hoverboard added. Flame and Frozen Wings now fade when stealthed.
- 1.2.1: Spooky Wings and Tattered Fairy Wings added. Ghost Wings now need 10 ectoplasm to craft.
- 1.2: 11 new acquirable wing types added: Jetpack, Fairy, Butterfly, Bee, Bat, Bone, Harpy, Ghost, Flame, Frozen, Leaf. New developer-only Wings added. Steampunk Wings also added, but unobtainable.
- 1.1: Angel Wings and Demon Wings introduced.
| Post-Plantera entities |
|Accessories||Celestial Stone • Festive Wings • Ghost Wings • Hercules Beetle • Hoverboard • Master Ninja Gear • Necromantic Scroll • Papyrus Scarab • Pygmy Necklace • Rifle Scope • Sniper Scope • Spooky Wings • Sun Stone • Tabi • Tattered Fairy Wings|
|Armor||Beetle armor • Shroomite armor • Spectre armor • Tiki armor • Spooky armor|
|Bosses||Golem • Mourning Wood • Pumpking • Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen|
|Crafting||Autohammer • Lihzahrd Furnace • Ectoplasm • Shroomite Bar • Spooky Wood • Beetle Husk|
|Enemies||Blue Armored Bones • Bone Lee • Diabolist • Dungeon Spirit • Flying Snake • Giant Cursed Skull • Hell Armored Bones • Lihzahrd • Necromancer • Paladin • Ragged Caster • Skeleton Commando • Skeleton Sniper • Tactical Skeleton|
|Events||Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon|
|Tools||Picksaw • The Axe • Shroomite Digging Claw • Spectre Pickaxe • Spectre Hamaxe • Spectre Paintbrush • Spectre Paint Roller • Spectre Paint Scraper|
|Weapons||Bat Scepter • Blizzard Staff • Candy Corn Rifle • Chain Gun • Christmas Tree Sword • Elf Melter • Flower Pow • Grenade Launcher • Golem Fist • Heat Ray • Inferno Fork • Jack 'O Lantern Launcher • Keybrand • Leaf Blower • Magnet Sphere • Nettle Burst • North Pole • Paladin's Hammer • Piranha Gun • Possessed Hatchet • Proximity Mine Launcher • Pulse Bow • Pygmy Staff • Rainbow Gun • Raven Staff • Razorpine • Rocket Launcher • Scourge of the Corruptor • Shadowbeam Staff • Sniper Rifle • Snowman Cannon • Spectre Staff • Staff of Earth • Stake Launcher • Stynger • Staff of the Frost Hydra • The Horseman's Blade • Vampire Knives • Venus Magnum • Wasp Gun|
|Other Items||Temple Key • Biome Key Mold • Biome Key • Wisp in a Bottle|