|| Crafting material – Mechanism
| Max stack
|| Wire Cutter
Wires are unique items used to connect Mechanisms with their triggers (Pressure Plate, Timer, Switch or Lever). Wires are placed using the Wrench, and are freed using the Wire Cutter, both of which can only be obtained from the Mechanic. Wire placed by different colored wrenches will be of different colors, and can overlap with their signal going from one color to the other. Wire itself is available for purchase from the Mechanic, but can also be obtained from naturally-occurring Mechanisms.
Placed Wires only display on-screen when a Mechanism-related item is held by the player, such as a Pressure Plate or Wrench. Wires occupy their own dedicated layer when placed, and so can occupy the same tile space as Furniture, Walls, Blocks, and even deep Lava pools, along with any other placed item or material. Wires can also be placed in midair, without the need for support. Explosions have no effect on placed Wires.
Wires are considered "connected" to triggers and mechanisms when they are placed in the same tile space as those items (when they appear to be "touching"). An exception is Statues, which are considered connected to any wires in their 2x3 tile space, even though some statues do not appear to reach a 3-tile height (see image below).
- Wires are considered Ammunition for the Wrench tool, and can therefore be placed in the Ammo slots of a player's inventory.
- Connections may not contain more than 2,000 wires, otherwise they will not work.
- Naturally-occurring Wires can be harvested once the Wire Cutter is obtained. They exist sparsely Underground, and frequently in the Dungeon, in Dart and Boulder Traps and Chain Lantern mechanisms.
- Some worlds will have large amount of Wires underground, but the amount may vary from one location to the next. Do not expect to find tons underground though.
- You can use different colored wrenches to lay different colored wire, with the signal going through different colors not going from one color to another.
- The Lihzahrd contains a lot of wire. Keeping a Wire Cutter on hand may save some money and increase chances of survival.
If you have wires in the ammo slot, the ones that you pick up will form a new stack in your inventory instead of stacking with the ones you already have. This is probably related to the lack of "Ammo" tag in item's tooltip.
If you have an auto door set up (2 floor buttons on either side of a door), a repeating occurrence is the door disappearing and breaking the floor beneath it.
If you connect 3 dart traps to a pressure plate with too much connecting wire, the game will display a black screen. [Xbox edition]
Very rarely will the wrench not use wire. This only occurs when you have ammo modifying stats.
 Used in
 See Also
- 1.2: Stack limit was raised from 250 to 999. Wire length-limit increased from 1000 to 2000. Different colors of wire can be lain with different colored wrenches.
- 1.1: Introduced.