The Wizard is a Hardmode NPC that sells magic-related items. The Wizard can be acquired via open areas underground during Hardmode, starting at the cavern layer, where he spawns rarely and appears to be bound, much like the Goblin Tinkerer and Mechanic. Talking to him will free him, after which he will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
 Items sold
Once the Wizard has been freed, he will sell the following:
|Ice Rod||1||Always available.|
|Spell Tome||5||Always available.|
|Greater Mana Potion||5||Always available.|
|Music Box||10||Always available.|
|Crystal Ball||10||Always available.|
Note: As with all NPCs, right-clicking an item will allow multiple purchases rather than purchasing one by one.
- The Dungeon contains a large number of open areas that may provide the most frequent opportunities for the Wizard to spawn.
- Some of the Wizard's randomly generated names:
- Merlyn is a variation on the classic wizard name, Merlin ("The Magician" or "The Enchanter"), which has been used in numerous medieval-themed written works and films, usually in association with King Arthur.
- Fizban and Dalamar are references to the Dragonlance universe.
- Xanadu is a reference to the classic 1980 fantasy film of the same name.
- Elric may be a reference to Fullmetal Alchemist. Elric also may be a reference to Elric of Melniboné.
- He may be slightly senile, as he confuses the player with NPCs of the same gender residing in Town.
- "Well, hi there, [name of another NPC same gender as the player]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Want me to pull a coin from behind your ear? No? Ok."
- "I make a rather enchanting hot chocolate if you'd be inter... No? Ok."
- "Do you want some magic candy? No? Ok."
- "Ever wanted an enchanted ring that turns rocks into slimes? Well neither did I."
- "Someone once told me friendship is magic. That's ridiculous. You can't turn people into frogs with friendship." (a reference to the television show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
- "I once tried to bring an Angel Statue to life. It didn't do anything." -- This quote is a continuation of a running in-game joke about how the Angel Statue has always been utterly useless.
(perhaps a reference to the weeping angels from Doctor Who)
- "Are you here for a peek at my crystal ball?"
- "I can see your future now... You will buy a lot of items from me!"
- "Ohh, my hero!"
- "Oh, how heroic! Thank you for saving me, young (man/lady)!"
- "Now that we know each other, I can move in with you, right?" (This could possibly be a reference to Merasmus from Team Fortress 2, in which he is the roommate of an unlucky Soldier class)
- "Thanks for saving me, friend! This bondage was starting to chafe."
|Arms Dealer • Clothier • Demolitionist • Dryad|
Guide • Merchant • Nurse
Mechanic • Goblin Tinkerer • Wizard