The Wizard is a Hardmode NPC that sells magic-related items. The Wizard can be acquired via open areas in a Dungeon or anywhere underground during Hardmode. He can be found at the cavern layer or lower, where he spawns rarely and appears to be bound, much like the Goblin Tinkerer and Mechanic. Talking to him will free him, after which he will respawn as long as a vacant house is available, even if killed.
Once the Wizard has been freed, he will sell the following:
|Ice Rod||1||Always available.|
|Spell Tome||5||Always available.|
|Greater Mana Potion||10||Always available.|
|Music Box||10||Always available.|
|Crystal Ball||10||Always available.|
|Wizard's Hat||3||During Halloween.|
The wizard may have any of the following names:
Most of these names refer to famous wizards in popular culture: Merlin from the Matter of Britain, Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné, Ningauble from the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Leomund, Fizban, and Dalamar from Dungeons & Dragons settings Greyhawk and Dragonlance. The name Sargon may be a reference to Sargon, an ancient Akkadian king. Many of the rest refer to elves from the Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings including Hirael, Maelor, Arwyn, and possibly Berwyn.
- The Dungeon contains a large number of open areas that may provide the most frequent opportunities for the Wizard to spawn.
- He may be slightly senile, as he confuses the player with NPCs of the same gender residing in Town.
- During night, his quotes always ends with (no? ok). This might be a reference to the meme (no? ok).
- "Well, hi there, [name of another NPC same gender as the player]! What can I do for you today?"
- "Want me to pull a coin from behind your ear? No? Ok."
- "I make a rather enchanting hot chocolate if you'd be inter... No? Ok."
- "Do you want some magic candy? No? Ok."
- "Ever wanted an enchanted ring that turns rocks into slimes? Well neither did I." (reference to the first mod in Terraria where you could get a ring which turns blocks into monsters)
- "Someone once told me friendship is magic. That's ridiculous. You can't turn people into frogs with friendship." (a reference to the popular TV show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
- "I once tried to bring an Angel Statue to life. It didn't do anything." -- (a continuation of a running in-game joke about how the Angel Statue is utterly useless, and a possible reference to the Doctor Who series "weeping angels" which can only move when you cannot see them)
- "Are you here for a peek at my crystal ball?"
- "I can see your future now... You will buy a lot of items from me!"
- "Ohh, my hero!"
- "Oh, how heroic! Thank you for saving me, young (man/lady)!"
- "Now that we know each other, I can move in with you, right?"
- "Thanks for saving me, friend! This bondage was starting to chafe."