Platforms are an alternative to blocks that can be walked on, but which also allow movement through the space they occupy. The player normally stands and walks on platforms as if they were ordinary blocks. Players can move down through a platform by pressing the down key while standing on one. Players can also walk or jump horizontally through the space occupied by platforms, only treating the platform as "solid" when landing on them from above.
Walking enemies can similarly walk on or pass through platforms. Flying enemies like bats will fly up through them, but not down. Other enemies, including harpies, ignore them entirely. NPCs will always climb up platforms.
Weapons and their projectiles will travel through Platforms. Any hook will grab them. Liquids flow through platforms, and lava will destroy most platforms upon contact. Sand will be supported by platforms.
Because of the high mobility a player has while on them, platforms can be used in a variety of ways: as a bridge across gaps that players can descend through without destroying, for roof access that keeps most enemies from getting through, or to create a fighting area above most enemies that players can fire down through while keeping out of reach of enemies, or Bosses. Also, since Piggy Banks, Chests, Crafting Stations and most other Furniture can be placed on them (except for torches, Crystal Shards, and cooking pots), they can be used as a shelving to pack furniture into a confined space without inhibiting player movement. A Platform with a Bottle (or similar) placed on it will also function as an Alchemy Station.
- Platforms can be changed to stairs by hitting them with a Hammer.
- Nearly all platform variants are functionally identical, and are differentiated only by their appearance and their crafting recipes. Obsidian Platforms are one exception, in that they do not break upon contact with lava the way most platforms do.
- ↑ Bone Platforms seem to either not generate in-game to be extremely rare (see talk).
Using a Hammer
to turn platforms into stairs can allow the player to walk through 1 block thick walls or locked doors by placing the stairs against the side and holding down while walk through.
- 188.8.131.52: Cactus Platform added.
- 1.2.4: Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, Steampunk, Skyware, Living Wood and Honey Platforms added.
- 1.2.3: Sloped platforms will make stairs.
- 184.108.40.206: You can now correctly step up all types of platforms.
- 1.2.1: Pumpkin and Spooky Platforms added.
- 220.127.116.11: Glass Platform added.
- 18.104.22.168: Dungeon platform item icons will now display the right color.
- 1.2: Pearlwood, Ebonwood, Shadewood, Dungeon Shelf, Metal Shelf, Brass Shelf, Wood Shelf, Pink Brick, Green Brick, and Blue Brick Platforms added.
- 1.0.1: Torches now work correctly when being placed on wooden platforms.
- Pre-Release: Wooden Platform added.