Wyverns are large Hardmode enemies that spawn at high altitudes. They resemble oriental dragons, are long and white, and follow the Worm AI. They are immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, Cursed Inferno, and Shadowflame debuffs.
Wyverns spawn at any lateral map location, day or night, but generally at Floating Island altitudes. They will follow descending players down to ground level, and can fly through blocks, but tend not to fly below ground. They won't spawn if one is already alive, and like most enemies able to pass through tiles, they won't be able to spawn if the player themself stays in front of player-placed walls, even if there are valid spawn points for the Wyvern. Outside of Crimson, Corruption, and Dungeon biomes, and except during events, having at least one NPC near the player will also prevent them from spawning.
| Map Size
|| Expected Depth
||360+ feet above
||640+ feet above
||850+ feet above
- It is possible to kill the Wyvern while its head is off the map, which can result in the loss of its drops.
For more strategies on defeating Wyverns, see Guide:Harvesting Souls.
- As with any multi-segmented enemy, piercing and explosive weapons can strike multiple segments at once, dealing several times their normal damage than non-piercing weapons.
- Outrunning a Wyvern on foot is only possible over Asphalt Blocks.
- The head of a Wyvern hits for significantly more damage than the body. If you're about to be hit, it's better to aim for the body segments than the head.
- It is easier to fight a Wyvern in space, as the low gravity helps you to dodge its attacks.
- The Nimbus Rod is useful, as is the Shield of Cthulhu's dash, for dodging.
- A long Minecart Track makes killing Wyverns very simple, even in Expert Mode.
- Although the name "wyvern" refers to a western dragon-like creature depicted as having two wings and two hind legs, but no arms or forelegs, Terrarian Wyverns are shaped after Chinese dragons in Chinese folklore.
- The Angler mentions in a quest that Wyverns are born and raised as tadpoles- namely the Wyverntail.
- Before Arch Wyverns were given a new sprite in the 1.2 update, they looked like this:
- Wyverns take knockback, while Arch Wyverns do not.
- Console 1.02: New Arch Wyvern sprite.
- 1.1.1: Wyverns are less common and are less likely to spawn near the ground.
- 1.1: Introduced.