The Zapinator is a Hardmode magic weapon that is only available on the version. It resembles an NES-era light gun and shoots very rapidly, dealing 50 damage per hit - around 500 damage per second. It has a ~1.25% chance of being dropped from Plantera, but it is unknown what the droprate is exactly.
Its best Modifier is Masterful (benefiting from reduced mana cost) or Godly (benefiting from increased crit chance and knockback).
- In terms of damage per hit, most Hardmode weapons do more damage.
- The Zapinator was originally released on the Desktop version, but was taken out after one day in a subsequent update.
- The Zapinator's name and sprite resemble the Nintendo Zapper, a light gun peripheral accessory released with the NES. This could explain why the Zapinator was removed from Terraria's Desktop version, as it would cause copyright problems between the development crew of Terraria & Nintendo. This might also explain why it was subsequently re-added to the 3DS version - there would be no conflict with Nintendo for this instance.
- The Zapinator was used by the developers in the PC version to test certain content prior to the release, for example to kill enemies instantly so they won't be interrupted during testing.
- The Zapinator's projectile ID is 20 (the projectile fired by the Space Gun.)
- Before 3DS update 1.0.1, the Zapinator's name was displayed as "ITEMNAME".