The Zombie is an enemy that appears at night, and is one of the primary reasons newer players will want to build a shelter quickly and remain indoors at night. It is generally among the first enemies the player will encounter, as it appears nightly along with the Demon Eye in areas where newer players will explore first, including around the player's initial Spawn point. Multiple NPCs living in the area will reduce or prevent local enemy spawns, including Zombies and other nightly enemies, though NPCs are only available later in the game.
The Zombie appears only in above-ground Biomes during the night, walking towards the player in order to make contact, which is its only method of attack. It can also jump and navigate Wood Platforms in order to accomplish this. The Zombie will kick a closed Door in its path repeatedly, but will only be able to open it during a Blood Moon event.
All Zombies attempt to leave the screen at dawn, but may still end up attacking the player, especially if their path off-screen is blocked. As of 1.1 they can spawn with their brain exposed.
A Zombie will leave if he can't find a clear path to the player. They will not consider Wooden Doors to be blocking their path, even if it is not a Blood Moon.
Zombies are the only enemies in the game that drop Shackles, an Accessory for beginning players that gives 1 defense.
- While they may move slowly, they are surprisingly good jumpers. They also have a fair amount of health and cause significant damage to newer players. It is advisable that new players remain indoors at night until they gain better Weapons and Defenses.
- A simple Wooden Sword swung repeatedly is enough to keep one or two zombies at bay. Three or more Zombies will likely be able to get past the sword and cause damage. Weapons that can hit multiple enemies work best. The Spear or Vilethorn are ideal for this job. Ranged weapons also work well, like the Bow; Shuriken and Throwing Knives are ranged weapons that also pierce through multiple enemies, making them good candidates as well.
 Blood Moon
- If one wishes to avoid Zombies entirely during a Blood Moon, blockading doorways with any Block type will stop the Zombies from entering your home. Placing a Wood Platform or other piece of Furniture next to the door on the inside will prevent doors from swinging inward, which is the only way Zombies can enter, so this method is effective against them. Wooden Beams can be placed behind doors to make them one-way, preventing Zombies from getting inside.
- Placing Doors above the ground level, or digging a trench that is the height and width of 2 blocks, forces Zombies to jump at the door, during which they can't open your door.
- Zombies have one good leg and one 'bloody' leg, which they appear to drag. That happens either due to how their sprite walks, or they really are dragging it.
- Both types of zombies have the same statistics, as shown above. The only difference is the appearance.