Accessories are equippable items that can provide stat boosts and/or special abilities, such as limited flight. Accessories must be placed in a character's equip accessory slots to work, with the exception of some informational accessories which work simply by being in a character's inventory.
In Journey and Normal mode worlds it is possible to benefit from five accessories simultaneously (given there are no override effects - for example, it is not possible to use more than one wings accessory at the same time). In Expert Mode a sixth slot is obtainable by consuming a Demon Heart. Ultimately, Master Mode includes a sixth slot by default which, when combined with a Demon Heart, provides seven slots. Neither the Demon Heart slot nor the Master Mode slot is functional in Normal mode worlds, and both will only function when the difficulty is set to the corresponding level in Journey Mode worlds.
No duplicate accessories may be equipped, but the Tinkerer's Workshop can combine many accessories together into new accessories with multiple effects. For example, Hermes Boots (or another similar accessory) and Rocket Boots can be crafted into Spectre Boots.
Each accessory slot also has a respective vanity slot (as well as a dye slot) which allows a character to equip twice the amount of accessories (though only if they are visible on character) for cosmetic or storage purposes. Accessories can be set to be invisible on the wearer but still provide their buffs.
Types[edit | edit source]
Movement[edit | edit source]
Informational[edit | edit source]
Health and Mana[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
Construction[edit | edit source]
Fishing[edit | edit source]
Yoyos[edit | edit source]
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Vanity[edit | edit source]
Music Boxes[edit | edit source]
Golf Balls[edit | edit source]
Expert mode Exclusive[edit | edit source]
Modifiers[edit | edit source]
Most accessories (and weapons) can have modifiers affecting the user's (or weapons') statistics. Most eligible items will get a modifier upon creation, but an item can also gain one later, or have its modifier changed: "Reforging" is a service provided by the Goblin Tinkerer at sometimes-considerable cost. Modifiers provide bonuses that are broadly useful, such as movement speed or increased defense, for as long as the item is equipped (this is also required for some informational accessories whose special effects work without being equipped). Accessories can only get bonuses from modifiers, never penalties. Accessory modifiers can provide from 1 to 4 points of defense, 20 points of mana capacity, or from 1%-4% bonus on any of several stats: Damage (for any attack), critical strike chance (any attack except summons), movement speed, or melee speed. In all cases, the bonus applies only when the item is worn in a non-vanity accessory slot. Modifier bonuses stack freely, all worn items will accumulate. Thus by reforging all five allowed accessories to the same modifier, a player can have their choice of +100 mana capacity, +20 defense, or +20% on one of the affected statistics.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- All informational items except the mechanical ones combine into the PDA, taking one watch for all of them. Nearly all the mechanical accessories (except the Mechanical Ruler), combine into The Grand Design. Similarly, most of the status-resistance items (and two related items) combine into the Ankh Shield. (Notable exceptions: Pocket Mirror, Hand Warmer).
- Although it is possible to equip an accessory and its materials at the same time, such as Spectre Boots and Hermes Boots, their effects will not necessarily combine. Stat-boost items are more likely to stack with their own components (for example, the various Emblems), but this is not universal. Check the items' respective pages for which accessories can stack their effects.
- Informational accessories (notably all components of the PDA) do not have to be worn in the accessories slot. They will still provide information if they are in the player's main inventory, but their modifiers will have no effect.
- Equipping an accessory which provides immunity to a certain debuff will also remove the debuff if the player is suffering it. This can be a lifesaver, especially if Autopause is turned on.
- It is useful if you have spare vanity accessory slots, to put "backup" accessories in them. (Again, Autopause is helpful.) For example, the Megaphone can be placed in the vanity slot; if you get silenced, just swap the Megaphone in to clear the debuff (and if autopaused, exit the inventory for a moment to restart time). Then just switch back as needed. This also makes it easier to swap in swimming buffs when taking to the water.
- When multiple accessories that are visible on the same location are worn, such as a Panic Necklace and a Cross Necklace, the accessory on the lowest vanity slot will be visible. If no vanity accessories are worn, the accessory on the lowest equipment slot will be shown.
- Accessories that show up on the head, such as a Nature's Gift or Diving Gear, will not show up if a helmet is worn, unless a Familiar Wig is worn over it.
- Dyes will affect Wings even if they are not normally visible.
- Accessories that have no appearance when worn can still be placed in the vanity slots.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Guide:Crafting Quick Reference - Shows complex Accessory Crafting trees.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: In master mode you gain a sixth accessory slot without the need of a Demon Heart but can still gain a seventh slot by using one
- Desktop 1.2.4: Adding Ginger Beard, Frog Leg, High Test Fishing Line, Angler Earring, and Tackle Box. Fixed bugs/glitches related to infinite Hoverboard hovering time, issue with dye-ing the Flying Carpet, wings + Merfolk incompatibility, and Titan Glove + its upgrades not granting melee KB only.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Due to layering issues, you can no longer show a shield and a cloak at the same time. Fixed bug where hidden accessories still applied their dye color (wings still apply it if hidden but in the air). You can only equip one pair of wings at a time. Face accessories that shouldn't show hair no longer show hair.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Accessories are now visible on the player. Added 3 new accessories. Visibility can be toggled. Added vanity & dye slots for accessories. Fixed bug where info accessories displayed info when you looked at empty signs but not when you looked at texty signs.
- Desktop 1.2.2: Added 2 new accessories.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Added 8 new accessories.
- Critical Strike increase on accessory reforges have been doubled.
- Tabi and Master Ninja Gear now bring the player to full speed instead of stopping.
- Desktop 1.2: New accessories added.
- Desktop 1.1: Accessories can now spawn with a modifier that adds an additional benefit. See the Modifier page for more details.
- Desktop 1.0.6: It is now impossible to equip more than one of the same accessory at a time. Note: This effect isn't retroactive and characters made before the update that were previously wearing multiple copies of the same accessory will still have them equipped.