Accessories are equippable items that can provide defense and/or special abilities, such as limited flight. Up to five accessories may be equipped simultaneously; furthermore, up to five accessories may be placed in vanity slots, which will show the items on the player (if possible) but will not apply their effects. Additionally, as of 18.104.22.168, a sixth equipment, vanity, and dye slot is attainable by consuming a Demon Heart, though they'll only be functional during Expert mode. No duplicate accessories may be equipped, but the Tinkerer's Workshop can combine certain accessories together into new accessories with multiple effects.
On the Desktop version, Console version, Old-gen console version, and , accessories can be set to be invisible on the wearer but still provide their buffs. This cannot be done on the version Mobile version.
Reforging is a means of randomizing the additional mods to a base item. The Goblin Tinkerer charges money for this process, and it is applied once for free when an item that can have additional mods is encountered for the first time. This process generates stats that are broadly useful, such as movement speed or increased defense, for as long as the item is equipped.
- In fact, the Goblin Tinkerer charges money for removing current modifier, and then attaches a random new one for free. So the cost depends on the current modifier. In particular, there is no charge for items currently with no modifier.
- Although it is possible to equip an accessory and its materials at the same time, such as Spectre Boots and Hermes Boots, their effects will not necessarily combine. Stat-boost items are more likely to stack with their own components (for example, the various Emblems), but this is not universal. Check the items' respective pages for which accessories can stack their effects.
- Informational accessories (notably all components of the PDA) do not have to be worn in the accessories slot; they will still work if they are in the player's inventory. Any modifiers on the accessories will not have any effect, though.
- All Watches are uncraftable on the Mobile version.
- Equipping an accessory which provides immunity to a certain debuff will also remove the debuff if the player is suffering it. This can be a lifesaver, especially if Autopause is turned on.
- It is useful if you have spare vanity accessory slots, to put "backup" accessories in them. (Again, Autopause is helpful.) For example, the Megaphone can be placed in the vanity slot; if you get silenced, just swap the Megaphone in to clear the debuff (and if autopaused, exit the inventory for a moment to restart time). Then just switch back as needed. This also makes it easier to swap in swimming buffs when taking to the water.
- In the Mobile version, all informational accessories do not work at all
- Because of this, it is not recommended to use an informational accessory because it will just waste one of your accessory slots
- When multiple accessories that are visible on the same location are worn, such as a Panic Necklace and a Cross Necklace, the accessory on the lowest vanity slot will be visible. If no vanity accessories are worn, the accessory on the lowest equipment slot will be shown.
- Accessories that show up on the head, such as a Nature's Gift or Diving Gear, will not show up if a helmet is worn, unless a Familiar Wig is worn over it.
- Accessories that have no appearance when worn can still be placed in the vanity slots.
- Dyes will affect Wings even if they are not normally visible.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Adding Ginger Beard, Frog Leg, High Test Fishing Line, Angler Earring, and Tackle Box. Fixed bugs/glitches related to infinite Hoverboard hovering time, issue with dye-ing the Flying Carpet, wings + Merfolk incompatibility, and Titan Glove + its upgrades not granting melee KB only.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Due to layering issues, you can no longer show a shield and a cloak at the same time. Fixed bug where hidden accessories still applied their dye color (wings still apply it if hidden but in the air). You can only equip one pair of wings at a time. Face accessories that shouldn't show hair no longer show hair.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Accessories are now visible on the player. Added 3 new accessories. Visibility can be toggled. Added vanity & dye slots for accessories. Fixed bug where info accessories displayed info when you looked at empty signs but not when you looked at texty signs.
- Desktop 1.2.2: Added 2 new accessories.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Added 8 new accessories.
- Critical Strike increase on accessory reforges have been doubled.
- Tabi and Master Ninja Gear now bring the player to full speed instead of stopping.
- Desktop 1.2: New accessories added.
- Desktop 1.1: Accessories can now spawn with a modifier that adds an additional benefit. See the Modifier page for more details.
- Desktop 1.0.6: It is now impossible to equip more than one of the same accessory at a time. Note: This effect isn't retroactive and characters made before the update that were previously wearing multiple copies of the same accessory will still have them equipped.