|Tooltip||Grants immunity to knockback and fire blocks|
Grants immunity to most debuffs
- Internal Item ID: 1613
The Ankh Shield is a Hardmode shield accessory which provides immunity to 11 / 10 different debuffs, knockback immunity, and an additional 4 defense. It is crafted from an Obsidian Shield and an Ankh Charm at the Tinkerer's Workshop.
When equipped, the Ankh Shield provides immunity to all of the following debuffs:
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Crafting tree[edit | edit source]
( ) )
|Obsidian × 20|
( + )
|Armor Bracing||Medicated Bandage||Countercurse Mantra||The Plan|
|Obsidian Shield||Ankh Charm|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Ankh Shield is the end result of combining eleven individual accessories over the course of eight crafting operations. Its original constituent accessories are the Bezoar, Vitamins, Cobalt Shield, Obsidian Skull, Nazar, Blindfold, Trifold Map, Fast Clock, Megaphone, Armor Polish, and Adhesive Bandage.
- The Pocket Mirror (which provides immunity to Stoned) and the Hand Warmer (which provides immunity against Frozen, as well as Chilled, the latter of which the player is still immune to with the Ankh Shield on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version), are not used in the recipe for the Ankh Charm, although protecting from certain debuffs. The Philosopher's Stone, which reduces the effect the Potion Sickness debuff, is not used either.
- Despite the tooltip, there are many debuffs that the player can still suffer, especially higher-tier versions of the debuffs they are protected from: Venom for Poisoned, Cursed Inferno and On Fire! for Burning, Blackout for Darkness, Frozen for Chilled, Withered Armor (or Ichor) for Broken Armor. Of course, these higher-tier debuffs are all significantly rarer than the weaker forms, and the Ankh Shield does cut down sharply on dangerous inconveniences while adventuring. That being said, the Shield actually prevents less than half of all enemy-afflicted debuffs in the game.
- There are several post-Golem debuffs the Ankh Shield does not protect from: Electrified, inflicted by Tesla Turrets during the Martian Madness event; Distorted, inflicted by Alien Queens while fighting the Vortex Pillar; and Moon Bite, inflicted by the Moon Lord.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Ankh Shield does not require any items from Hardmode bosses (but does require Hardmode), and so it can be obtained before defeating them. It can be a very useful accessory when the player does decide to fight them.
- While it does not directly affect the Feral Bite debuff, the Shield blocks all of its side effects, rendering it mostly harmless against the player.
- The post-Plantera Paladin's Shield offers an extra 2 defense and a multiplayer buff, but does not prevent common debuffs. As such, the Paladin's Shield may be slightly more advantageous for most boss battles.
- Using an Obsidian Skin Potion renders the player immune to the On Fire! debuff, which the shield does not provide.
- The Ankh Shield can synergize with the Brand of the Inferno to block attacks, granting the Striking Moment buff.
- The Ankh Shield can be used to defuse active debuffs if it is left in the players inventory and quickly swapped with a currently equipped accessory, allowing the player to use other shields or accessories in place of the Ankh Shield when exploring or in combat.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The ankh, the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol that is depicted in the shield, was most commonly used in writing and in art to represent the word for "life" and, by extension, as a symbol of life itself.
- Of all accessories, the Ankh Shield and the Celestial Stone offer the third most base defense, being bested only by the Paladin's Shield which has 6 base defense, and the Flesh Knuckles which has 7 base defense.
- The only crafted item in the build path not crafted at the Tinkerer's Workshop is the Obsidian Skull, which is crafted at a Furnace instead.
- Its components sell for more than the shield itself does.
- In Old-gen console and versions, the Ankh Shield (requiring 11 base ingredients, and 7 crafting operations) has the most complex crafting tree. Although the Music Box (Title) required one more base ingredient, it only needed one crafting operation.
- Despite giving immunity to Chilled, the crafting chain for the Ankh Shield does not include the Hand Warmer. The shield also does not give immunity to Frozen.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.2: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Now provides immunity to the Chilled debuff. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Now provides immunity to the Chilled debuff. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced, providing immunity to the Chilled debuff.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Now provides immunity to the Chilled debuff.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced, providing immunity to the Chilled debuff.