- Internal NPC ID: 19
The Arms Dealer is an NPC that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
- There is an empty house.
- The player has at least one bullet or bullet-firing gun in their inventory (guns stored in storage items like chests do not count).
If the Arms Dealer is killed, he will only respawn if the above conditions are met again.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, when threatened by enemies, the Arms Dealer will use a Flintlock Pistol to defend himself. Once Hardmode begins, he upgrades to a Minishark for self-defense.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Musket Ball||Always available.|
|Silver Bullet||During a Blood Moon, in a world with silver ore.|
(Always available in Hardmode.)
|Tungsten Bullet||During a Blood Moon, in a world with tungsten ore.|
(Always available in Hardmode.)
|Unholy Arrow||During the night after defeating the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu.|
(Always available in Hardmode.)
|Flintlock Pistol||Always available.|
|Illegal Gun Parts||Only at night.|
|Empty Bullet||In Hardmode.|
|Stynger Bolt||When the player possesses a Stynger.|
|Stake||When the player possesses a Stake Launcher.|
|Nail||When the player possesses a Nail Gun.|
|Candy Corn||When the player possesses a Candy Corn Rifle.|
|Explosive Jack 'O Lantern||When the player possesses a Jack 'O Lantern Launcher.|
|Nurse Hat||During Halloween.|
|Nurse Shirt||During Halloween.|
|Nurse Pants||During Halloween.|
|Quad-Barrel Shotgun||In Graveyard Biome.|
|Any Pylon||When in a specific biome (except Evil Biomes) and is happy enough.|
Living Preferences [edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The easiest way to acquire a qualifying gun is to smash either a Shadow Orb or Crimson Heart in the Corruption or the Crimson. They will always drop a Musket or an Undertaker, respectively, on the first break.
- Other qualifying early guns include:
- While it is called a 'gun', Flare Gun will not trigger the Arms Dealer, as it fires flares rather than bullets.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Arms Dealer may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Keep your hands off my gun, buddy!"
- "Hey, this ain't a movie, pal. Ammo is extra." (references how most characters in movies and other fictional works seem to have infinite ammo)
- "I see you're eyeballin' the Minishark.. You really don't want to know how it was made."
When Demolitionist is present:
- "Don't bother with <name of Demolitionist>, I've got all you need right here."
- "What's <name of Demolitionist>'s problem? Does he even realize we sell completely different stuff?"
When Nurse is present:
- "Make it quick! I've got a date with <name of Nurse> in an hour."
- "I want what <name of Nurse> is sellin'. What do you mean, she doesn't sell anything?" (refers to the fact that the Nurse doesn't sell anything.)
When Dryad is present:
- "<name of Dryad> is a looker. Too bad she's such a prude."
- "I heard there is a doll that looks very similar to <name of Guide> somewhere in the underworld. I'd like to put a few rounds in it." (This refers to the Guide Voodoo Doll)
- (if these conditions are met this will be the only quote available)
- If there is no Guide, no name will show up where the name of Guide should be.
During a Blood Moon:
- "I love nights like tonight. There is never a shortage of things to kill!"
- "Man, it's a good night not to talk to anybody, don't you think, <name of player>?" (This is a reference to the NPCs becoming incredibly paranoid, sinister or rude during Blood Moons.)
During a Party :
- "Parties are great for getting people to come out of their shell, just like with bullets."
When in a Graveyard biome:
- "I hate places like this. I can't kill what's already dead!"
- "If you see any suspicious activity out in that fog, I wasn't involved."
During a Windy day:
- "Was tryin' out my new gun, but the wind kept me off target!"
- "Don't spray and pray in the wind, buddy!"
During the Rain:
- "Heard a rumor that some clouds are literally out to get you! Show 'em whose boss with one of my guns!"
- "Flying fish? I call that target practice!"
During a Storm:
- "A lightning gun? Don't have time for that, man. I love my bullets!"
- "If you time it right, no one will hear your gunshots with the thunder."
Happiness Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "I don’t have a place to stay, pal!"
When far from home:
- "I don’t like doin’ business this far from home."
When in a sparse area:
- "This is what I'm talkin' about, privacy!"
- "I can’t do what I do with so many people watchin’ me."
When in a Desert:
- "Ya know, the Desert is secluded and great for business, if you catch my drift."
When in a Snow biome:
- "Yeah, no, the Snow makes me very uncomfortable."
When in the Corruption:
- "I hate the Corruption - hunting isn't quite as fun if you're the prey!"
When near the Nurse:
- "Think [Name of Nurse] the Nurse ever, you know, checks me out?"
When near the Steampunker:
- "Yeah, I like [Name of Steampunker] the Steampunker, wicked cool person."
When near the Golfer:
- "I don’t really like [Name of Golfer] the Golfer bein’ on my turf, ya know?"
When near the Demolitionist:
- "I’d REALLY like to use [Name of Demolitionist] the Demolitionist as a range target sometime."
When Happiness is neutral:
- "I'm good, buddy!"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name Brimst may be a reference to brimstone (sulfur), one of the ingredients of gunpowder.
- Unlike several other NPCs, who sell their own clothes on Halloween, the Arms Dealer sells the Nurse's clothes. On a technical level, this may be because the Nurse does not have a shop interface through which to sell her own clothes.
- The quote about the Guide Voodoo Doll still appears even if the Guide is dead, but the name will be random each time.
- He seems to be attracted to both the Nurse and the Dryad. This is seen in his quote about the date with the Nurse, and the Dryad's quote about him flirting with her. He also flirts with the Mechanic, according to her quote about the pressure plate. But he seemingly has more of an interest in the Nurse.
- The Arms Dealer and Guide seem to argue with each other through Emotes, implying they don't get along. This is further evidenced by his quote regarding the Guide Voodoo Doll.
- The name Demetrius may be a reference to the play A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare.
- The name Maurice may be a reference to movie franchise Madagascar, in which there is a character that is an aye-aye lemur named Maurice. In the movie, Maurice is the right hand man to King Julian.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.1: Now sells ammunition for newly introduced weapons and Nurse costume (during Halloween).
- Desktop 1.1:
- Now has random name given to him on spawn. His death will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- Illegal Gun Parts are sold every night, not just during new moons.
- Silver Bullets and Unholy Arrows are always available after defeating the Wall of Flesh.
- Shotgun added to inventory.
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.