Asphalt Blocks are unique blocks that dramatically increase the speed of players running along them. Their acceleration stacks with other speed-boosting items such as the Hermes Boots and its derivative accessories. It only affects players running directly on it; speeds of enemies, NPCs and critters will be unaffected. Immediately after a player jumps or falls off of Asphalt Blocks their speed will return to normal.
With no other boosts, running on asphalt has a max speed of 53 mph, with about 3 seconds of acceleration. Normal running speed is 15 mph.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipe[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While using Lightning Boots and the buff from Panic Necklace along with Asphalt, the player can reach extreme speeds (a maximum of 85 mph), even outrunning projectiles such as the Rainbow Rod and the ranged component of the Terra Blade, and many bosses, even including a charging Spazmatism. One could build a skybridge with a five second timer arrow trap at the start, in order to continuously reapply the buff as they run.
- You don't need to have a full path for the speed effect to set in, you can place asphalt every second block. Every other block must be air, otherwise the speed effect is negated.
- Running through a Teleporter will not slow you down. This can be used for quickly accessing a skybridge without using wings or including platforms.
- Honey Blocks have the opposite effect of Asphalt Blocks: they decrease movement speed.
- Master Ninja Gear also gains a massive benefit as well as the Tabi. While running across asphalt and the player dashes, as long as the same direction key is held down, the dash can be extended by up to four times the amount in one go, allowing one to outrun even the fastest of monsters, such as the Wyvern or Skeletron Prime during the day, or even the Ice Queen boss during a Frost Moon.
- When flying under asphalt blocks spaced one apart you can pass through them like a platform but they cannot be passed through from the top.
- Although Asphalt Blocks greatly increase the player's speed, they do not increase acceleration like using Frostspark Boots on ice.
- Asphalt Blocks do not increase movement speed while riding on a mount such as the Unicorn Mount.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- This is a useful block type for building Skybridges, especially for the late-night collection of Fallen Stars, and is also good for Arenas, particularly where quick movement may be necessary (e.g. Skeletron or Skeletron Prime during their 'spin' attack, or Duke Fishron).
- This block only needs to be placed every other space to achieve full speed. This means you can cover a particular distance at half the cost with the same effect.
- Using a sky bridge helps you defeat the Moon Lord easily. Make sure you have enough Health potions and mana potions if you are using magic weapons. The fight will only be long but it's a safe way to defeat him or farm his items. Don't worry, the Moon Lord won't despawn and you don't have to slow down.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.