Background walls are tiles that create backgrounds. Most wall types are items that can exist in player inventories, and can be placed by players in any area that doesn't already have background walls. Walls can be removed with a hammer. All walls fall under two categories:
- Housing walls are placed by players or generated in certain structures. They prevent enemies from spawning, but do not do anything to prevent their passage, and a mostly unbroken background of housing wall tiles is necessary for a structure to qualify as a house for attracting NPCs, or to place a Bed that can set a player's spawn point.
- Natural walls are instead found throughout the world in several biomes, and cannot be placed by players. Most natural walls are able to be crafted and placed by players. Natural walls will not stop enemies from spawning, and cannot be utilized for houses, but natural walls made by players act like normal walls. These walls must be removed by starting from their edge (i.e., there must be at least one adjacent tile with no wall or housing wall), unlike housing walls, which can be removed from any point. Explosives can remove all natural walls within their blast radius as long as an edge is somewhere within the radius.
Certain walls, such as Obsidian Brick Walls or Dungeon Brick Walls exist in both natural and housing forms. With these walls, the player must break the natural walls and replace them in order to allow them to count as housing walls. Furthermore, the natural form of some walls, such as Dirt Walls or Jungle Walls cannot be harvested, and must instead be crafted or purchased from an NPC.
Walls are generally obtained via crafting, purchasing from NPCs, or harvesting certain naturally-generated walls. One item of crafting material generally crafts four of its corresponding wall items. Most walls can also be crafted back into the items they were made from (four walls to one item), except for any wall crafted from more than one ingredient (e.g., Stained Glass).
Types[edit | edit source]
Crafted walls[edit | edit source]
These walls are made by the player using various crafting materials.
Purchased walls[edit | edit source]
These walls are purchased from various NPCs.
Harvested walls[edit | edit source]
These walls can be harvested in various places when exploring the world. Most of them can also be obtained through crafting.
Converted walls[edit | edit source]
These walls are normally created by biome spread. They can also be made using Solution sprayed with the Clentaminator, and on the Desktop version they can also be crafted or purchased (with the exception of the natural Mushroom Wall). On the Console version, Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and the Clentaminator is the only way the player can make these walls. version
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Dirt Walls generally completely cover the background at Underground depths above zero (see Layer, Depth Meter). Placing new walls in this area would require first tearing down the existing walls starting from the top (the Surface) or the bottom (zero depth), which can be an arduous task. Alternatively, the existing walls can be destroyed using explosives.
- At depths below zero, the backdrop of the map is generally no longer covered with actual wall tiles, though this can be difficult to differentiate visually since the background image at these depths can have a similar appearance. Walls can be placed freely here by players.
- Torches and several other furniture items can be placed directly on background walls without requiring blocks below them.
- Walls have no coin value (excluding wallpaper bought from the Painter), even if they were crafted from rare materials.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Made several wall types craftable that were previously unobtainable through the use of Ecto Mist.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Most wall inventory sprites updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Living leaf walls are valid for housing
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed walls not framing properly in camera mode snapshots.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Bug fixed: The Blue Slab Wall is now valid for housing if placed by a player.
- Added Honeyfall, Granite, Smooth Granite, Marble, Smooth Marble, Chlorophyte Brick, Shroomite Plating, Martian Conduit, Luminite Brick, Meteorite Brick, and Crimtane Brick walls.
- Many naturally generated walls have a new appearance.
- Now you can place walls in front of each other.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.2.4:
- Adding walls made from Gemspark Blocks, Palm Wood, Boreal Wood, 1.2.3-Heavy Work Bench-products, and Glass+Confetti.
- The Pirate now sells the Sail.
- Two natural cave walls (7 and 8) have been added. Gemstone Cave- and Moss Cave-walls have received an overhaul.
- The Metal Fence has been split into Lead and Iron variants.
- The Lavafall Wall and Waterfall Wall are now crafted like most other walls.
- Painted walls show up properly on the map.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Adding Dynasty Walls, Lavafall Wall, Waterfall Wall, even more Wallpaper, and the Portable Cement Mixer for even heftier wall placing.
- Desktop 1.2.2: Ten new holiday-themed wall types called Wallpaper can now be purchased from the Painter.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Fixed an issue causing walls to not have different frames. Pumpkin Wall, Hay Wall, and Spooky Wood Wall added.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Lihzahrd Wall added.
- You can now craft living wood walls.
- Snow particles will no longer spawn on backwalls.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop 1.1: Added Glass Wall, Planked Wall, Mythril Brick Wall, Cobalt Brick Wall, Mudstone Brick Wall, Iridescent Brick Wall and Pearlstone Brick Wall.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Walls that are automatically placed to fill small gaps are now correctly taken from the player’s Inventory.
- Desktop 1.0.6: When placing background walls, one-block holes are now automatically filled in.