The Basilisk is a Hardmode enemy found in the Underground Desert biome that moves quickly and highly resists knockback. It has a chance of dropping Sturdy Fossils and a rare chance to drop the Ancient Horn, which summons a mount version of the Basilisk.
- When fighting Basilisks, fighting them from above or with weapons that deal high knockback is a good idea.
- Ranged weapons with a high rate of fire and decent knockback, such as the Megashark, but also the Shadowflame Knife, are effective against Basilisks from longer distances. However, these weapons have limited range, such as the Shadowflame Knife, or in the case of the Megashark, accuracy best used in medium-ranged encounters. Because of that, it is best to walk backward as a Basilisk approaches or use a minion to weaken it.
- In European bestiaries and legends, basilisks are often depicted as snake-like creatures that can kill with their gaze or poisonous breath.
- Contrary to this, the Basilisks in Terraria resemble lizards. They seem to be inspired by the physical appearance of the thorny devil lizard, which is a real lizard that is endemic to the deserts, scrubland, and grasslands of Australia.
- Also unlike mythological basilisks, the Basilisks in Terraria do not kill the player with their gaze, nor do they have poisonous breath attacks.
- The Basilisk can be considered a much stronger version of the Antlion Charger.