Bees are small flying enemies that are spawned by the Queen Bee in the Underground Jungle, and will also appear when destroying a Beehive and occasionally when mining Hive blocks that make up the Bee Hive biomes. They are not to be confused with summoned bees from the Bee Gun, the Bee Keeper, The Bee's Knees, the Beenade, or the Honey Comb – these bees are friendly projectiles. In Expert Mode, Bees will inflict the Poisoned debuff to players.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlike summoned bees, these Bees do not die/despawn when entering water.
- However, a Beehive will not burst into Bees if it lands in water.
- In Expert Mode, the damage done by Bees is greatly increased in Hardmode. This can catch players off-guard, as Bees are normally easily dealt with at this stage of the game.
- Bees do not drop Souls of Light, Souls of Night, Biome Keys, or Biome Key Molds.
- Bees can attack other enemies, even seemingly invincibles.
- Some of the invincible enemies are interesting to kill this way: the Moon Lord Core can be killed quickly without killing the hands and the eye, the Flying Dutchman is killed in one hit by bees, the Mysterious Portal can also be killed to reduce the incoming waves to only one side and the Celestial Pillars can be taken down without removing the Shield.
- Some other invincible enemies make things weird: Plantera without its hooks travels with a constant (and slow) speed in a direction and the Lunatic Cultist doesn't spawn if the Mysterious Tablet is killed before the Cultists.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Since Bees can spawn from Hive blocks, it is recommended that the Bee Hive is entered with caution, even though they have little defense and health. While even the lowest-tier pickaxe, the Copper Pickaxe, is capable of killing them, breaking too many Hives at once can overwhelm a player with low-tier armor.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- They are one of the only enemies, along with the Servant of Cthulhu and Meteor Head, to deal more base damage than their own maximum life.
- The Bestiary entry for the Bee: "Found in hives and nests all throughout the jungle, these tiny pests will swarm an adventurer at every turn."
See also[edit | edit source]
- Hornet – a similar, but much more dangerous enemy
- Bee Mount – a rideable bee mount
- Hornet minion – a hornet minion which fights enemies
- Baby Hornet – a hornet pet (which will not fight)
- Tiphia – a tiphia pet sharing almost the exact same appearance as a hornet (which will do 1 damage to enemies every ~0.3 seconds, but not chase them)
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: No longer attacks invincible NPCs.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Now targets enemies as well as players.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.