|Tooltip||Increases view range when held|
|Internal Item ID: 1299|
The Binoculars are an item that can be held in order to shift the player's view based on the cursor location. They must be placed in the hotbar and selected. While highlighted in the hotbar, the screen view is scrolled a short distance away from the character, following the mouse pointer. The view becomes centered not on the player, but on a point almost halfway between the player and the cursor. This effect is similar to the sniper rifle, using the zoom effect.
Binoculars have a 2.5% / 3.3 % (1/40 / 1/30 ) chance of being dropped by the Eye of Cthulhu.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Binoculars operate similarly to the Rifle Scope, Sniper Rifle and Sniper Scope, but without the need to right-click with a gun being held.
- Viewing an adjacent biome can cause the music and background view to change to those of the adjacent biome. The same effect occurs for area-of-effect buffs like Campfires or Heart Lanterns, which will take effect if the player shifts the screen view close enough to them, as well as the Metal Detector. Shifting the view will also shift and update the minimap.
- You can see enemies despawn if looking at them from a distance.
- The Binoculars are obtainable, but they are not functional. The same applies to the Rifle Scope on the Mobile and versions. This means that the only items that can change the camera's position are the Sniper Rifle and Sniper Scope.
- On the , the C-stick can be used to change the camera's position, making this item obsolete on the New Nintendo 3DS systems. version
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Binoculars are one of the four items that change the camera's position, the other three being the Sniper Scope, the Rifle Scope, and Sniper Rifle. Out of these, it is the only one not associated with Guns
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.4: Fixed issue where holding binoculars with mouse would still move your camera, making it annoying to move them to chests and the likes.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Fixed bug where zooming with Sniper Scope / Binoculars would go in opposite height direction when in reverse gravity.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.