Biome Keys are Hardmode items used to open Biome Chests. Though unusable until Plantera is defeated, they can be dropped at any time during Hardmode. On the Desktop version and Console version, each key has a 0.04% (1/2500) chance of dropping from an enemy in the key's respective biome. On the Old-gen console version, Mobile version, and , they are not dropped directly and must be crafted from versionBiome Key Molds.
Any enemy in the biome that will drop coins when killed can drop the key, not just biome-exclusive enemies. Keys cannot be dropped by Meteor Heads (which don't drop coins in Hardmode), enemies spawned by a statue, Critters, or any enemy spawned by a pillar in the Lunar Events . Additionally, enemies in Hybrid Biomes have a chance to drop any key from its composite biomes. The biome is determined by which biome the player currently is in, not the enemy killed.
Any Biome Key dropped prior to defeating Plantera will display the tooltip "It has been cursed by a powerful Jungle creature" and will be unable to open its respective chest until Plantera is defeated. However, cursed keys are usable in worlds where Plantera has already been defeated. Biome Keys are consumed upon use.
Types[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- All of the weapons found with a Biome Key are Yellow rarity, the fourth highest rarity tier.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A good way to get a Corruption or Crimson Biome Keys is to farm the Eater of Worlds in a Corruption world, or the Brain of Cthulhu in a Crimson world.
- Using Water Candles, and Battle Potions will increase enemy spawning which will make it easier to farm Biome Keys.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 1.2.1: No longer drops from enemies, instead crafted with a mold dropped in the same way.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.