|AI Type||Fighter AI (ground)|
Spider AI (on wall)
100/200/300 (on wall)
36 (web spit)
|Banner||Black Recluse Banner|
|Debuff tooltip||Losing life|
|Debuff tooltip||You are stuck|
|Chance||100% (from web spit attack)|
The Black Recluse is a Hardmode enemy that spawns in Spider Caves, but can rarely be found in the Cavern layer outside of its caves. It can inflict the Venom debuff. In Expert Mode, it gains a special spit attack that applies the Webbed debuff to players.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like all spiders, Black Recluses cannot travel through a vertical 2-tile wide shaft.
- The cooldown between web spit attacks lasts 3 seconds. It is paused if the Black Recluse loses focus on the player or has no direct line of fire, and it is increased by between 0.33 and 1 second when the Black Recluse takes damage.
- Black Recluses completely replace Wall Creepers in the Spider Caves once Hardmode starts. On Desktop, Wall Creepers still have a small chance to spawn in Hardmode.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- With their black color, Black Recluses may be difficult to perceive in the Spider Cave. It is advisable to place an ample number of light sources.
- Their high damage output combined with their property of being difficult to see and chance to inflict the Venom debuff for an additional 40 damage makes them extremely deadly and can easily kill players in early Hardmode.
- Because of their low health and high defense, using weapons that deal a lot of damage with a single strike is the best way of defeating them. High-knockback weapons can also hold them off for long enough to get them killed.
- A good weapon to use on a Black Recluse is a yoyo, as it can deal damage to it from a safe distance.
- Once the player has better weapons, Black Recluses are an excellent money-farming target, offering over half a Gold Coin per kill. They drop
500*5 up front, the chance of a Poison Staff averages about 1150*1150 per kill, and the fangs can be crafted into Queen Spider Staffs averaging 2396*2396 per kill.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name Black Recluse is a combination of the spider names black widow and brown recluse. Both spiders are commonly known for their venomous capabilities. This is reflected in the enemy's appearance, drops, and Venom debuff infliction.
- The cooldown of the web spit attack is programmed in a way that it could technically last up to 15 seconds: Every tick, the game checks whether the last attack occurred longer than
xbeing a number between 180 and 899 randomly picked upon every check. If that is the case, the cooldown is reset and the Black Recluse fires again. Therefore, the cooldown will always last at least 181 ticks (which is equal to 3 seconds), but will exceed a couple ticks more than that in only extremely rare cases – see the binomial distribution:
Ticks Chance 181 36.7624% 182 36.8135% 183 18.4068% 184 6.1271% 185 1.5275% 186 0.3042% 187 0.0504% 188 0.0072% 189 0.0001% 190 9.756 × 10-5% 191 9.6475 × 10-6%
n = 720
p = 1/720
- It can be seen that the chance for the cooldown to last only 10 ticks longer than 181 ticks is extremely low, way outside the scope of even the rarest item drop chances.
- Consequently, the chance that the cooldown lasts 899 ticks, or 15 seconds, is so unimaginably low (approx. 5.26 × 10-2058) that it is virtually zero.
- The Bestiary entry for the Black Recluse: "They have eight legs, eight eyes, and eight ways to cocoon and feast upon an unsuspecting victim."
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.5: Ground sprite updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Health increased from 200 to 350.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
References[edit | edit source]
- Information taken from the Desktop 126.96.36.199 source code, method
- A tick is a time unit countable by the software. Most of Terraria's updating logic happens every tick. A tick has the length of 1/60th of a second, hence there are 60 ticks in a second and 3600 ticks in a minute.