|Knockback||0 (No knockback)|
|Use time||36 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons an Enchanted Dagger to fight for you|
Ignores a substantial amount of enemy defense
'Don't let their small size fool you'
- Enchanted Dagger
The Blade Staff is an aerial melee Hardmode summon weapon. When summoned, an Enchanted Dagger appears suspended above the player's head, attacking enemies within range by flying toward and through them repeatedly at a fast pace. Its attacks ignore 25 enemy defense, making it more effective than its damage stat would normally indicate (including the ignored enemy defense, the Blade Staff's effective base damage is around 18). It has a 1/35 (2.86%) chance of being dropped by Enchanted Swords.
Its best modifiers are Demonic, Deadly, Mystic, or Hurtful. Unlike most summon weapons, the Blade Staff has no knockback, so it cannot obtain the Ruthless modifier. Due to its low base damage, all damage-improving modifiers improve its damage by the same amount.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the user has more than one summoned dagger, they will move in a snake-like motion above their head (although it looks clockwise).
- The Blade Staff's minions attack at an incredibly fast rate compared to other summon weapons, hitting around five times per second. None of their hits trigger invulnerability frames on the target, maximizing damage output from the minions.
- Unlike most minions, the daggers will immediately return to the user's side, preventing them from getting stuck behind blocks and blocking the minion's field of vision.
- The weapon's defense-ignoring ability stacks with other defense-cutting buffs and accessories. In tandem with all possible options, the player can ignore an extra 70 defense with Ichor, Betsy's Curse, a Shark Tooth Necklace and a Stinger Necklace, causing the daggers to ignore a total of 95 defense. Summon tag damage from Whips also drastically improves its damage output.
- Although it has no knockback, it can gain knockback from accessories like the Papyrus Scarab or buffs like Well Fed. This can drastically increase its effectiveness against stronger enemies, as several Daggers can lock an enemy in place.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Like the Sanguine Staff and Terraprisma, the Blade Staff's precise movement, tracking and fixed idle position make it an ideal choice for assisting the player with faster bosses and for crowd control.
- Thanks to its ability to ignore a portion of enemy defense, the Blade Staff is a great weapon for summoners in early-to-mid Hardmode, as it is available as soon as Hardmode is initiated. However, considering the Blade Staff's low drop rate, the Spider Staff may be a better option to obtain first.
- Due to the Blade Staff's traits, it is most effective in the hands of a summon-focused character, especially when used in large numbers. Conversely, it is ineffective as a side minion for non-summoners, as its damage will be incredibly low without specialization (compared to the Spider Staff, it does roughly around 1/3rd of the Spider Staff's DPS).
- The Blade Staff's defense-cutting ability makes it very effective against the Mechanical bosses, as the most defensive boss (The Destroyer) has only 30 defense. This also causes the daggers to lose very little DPS while Skeletron Prime's head is spinning, which typically reduces damage from other weapons since the head's defense raises to 48.
- On the other hand, the daggers fare poorly against certain bosses, as some of them feature very high defense levels and will lower the dagger's damage to 1 damage per hit even with access to other defense-lowering buffs. Some examples include the Flying Dutchman and Santa-NK1, which feature 100 and 56 defense, respectively.
- While the Blade Staff continues to be useful for summoners through mid-hardmode due to its consistent damage on most enemies, its effectiveness starts to fall off once the player has access to stronger summoner weapons, which have weaker tracking but higher base damage. The Pirate Staff deals better damage against grounded enemies, the Pygmy Staff has slow projectiles but access to the Poisoned and Venom debuffs, while the Raven Staff and Sanguine Staff can become direct replacements for a flying minion.
- Because of its rapid attack rate, it is an effective summon for killing a Dungeon Guardian. Note that despite its defense-ignoring abilities, the knife will still do 1 damage per hit (as the Dungeon Guardian has 9999 defense, while the knives ignore only 25 defense).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite being a Hardmode drop, the Blade Staff has the lowest base damage out of all summon weapons.
- Along with the Stardust Dragon Staff, Desert Tiger Staff and Raven Staff, the Blade Staff is one of 4 summon weapons whose buff description is not "(Minion) will fight for you," instead being "Death by a thousand cuts."
- "Death by a thousand cuts" was a torture and execution method used in Imperial China.
- If you Negative Dye the blades using Critter Shampoo, they will loosely resemble Moon Lord heads.
- The Blade Staff seems to have a similar color scheme to the Hallowed Mimic drops.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.