“Yo ho ho and a bottle of....blinkroots!
Blinkroot is a common Herb that grows naturally on Dirt or Mud blocks, regardless of lighting or elevation, so long as there is room for it to grow and the blocks bear no Grass of any kind. It is most commonly found in the Underground Layer and below, due to the general lack of grass in those areas. It can be harvested with any Weapon or Tool. Blinkroot can be planted manually using Blinkroot Seeds, which can also be planted in Clay Pots and Planter Boxes.
If the dirt block that the blinkroot is planted on turns into a grass block the blinkroot will break, dropping as an item.
Blinkroot emits pulsating light ("blinks") while in bloom. It enters and exits its in-bloom phase randomly, and has no particular blooming requirements. Harvesting it while in-bloom will drop 1-3 Blinkroot Seeds in addition to the Blinkroot item. It is by far the fastest-growing herb in the game, capable of being harvested within seconds of planting.
Both Blinkroot and their respective seeds have a chance to be obtained from the Herb Bag.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Used in[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Due to its random blooming behavior, mass farming methods may be less feasible with this herb. Each mass harvest would need to be triggered manually based on a visual inspection of how much of the crop is currently in-bloom, to ensure enough seeds drop for replanting.
- Due to its blinking nature, it can be useful for finding unexplored cave systems through its visibility beyond the walls that you have already discovered.
- A great way to have a large source of Blinkroot is to build your Wall of Flesh bridge out of Dirt. Over time, the entire bridge will grow plenty of Blinkroot!
- While blinkroot will grow in any lighting, it will grow fastest while in a completely dark room.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Party Girl NPC mentions Blinkroot in one of her quotes: "We should set up a blinkroot party, and we should also set up an after-party."
- Similarly, the Pirate NPC will occasionally reference Blinkroots by saying "Yo ho ho and a bottle of....blinkroots!" This is a play on the original expression often attributed to pirates, "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Slowed their growth rate.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.