I hope it doesn't rain again until this paint dries. That would be a disaster!
Rain occurs randomly and affects all surface biomes for its duration. Each Rain event lasts for 24 in-game hours (24 real-world minutes), spanning both day and night portions. When a player is in a Snow biome during Rain, it appears as a Blizzard, causing snowfall volume to increase.
Rain does not actually produce new water tiles, does not cause existing water levels to rise, and has no effect on lava or honey tiles, but it does spawn some unique enemies or enemy variants, and certain critters behave differently. Some comical effects include Zombies wearing rain coats, Slimes carrying umbrellas, and Goldfish walking upright on land, using their tail fins to casually shuffle about (swimming Goldfish will exit water and walk, and walking Goldfish will also spawn anew on land).
On the Desktop version and Console version, rain has three different variations; Light Rain, regular Rain, and Heavy Rain. The heavier the rainfall, the dimmer the sunlight will be, with heavy rain causing noticeable darkness. These variations are only graphical, can be detected with a Weather Radio, and can change multiple times throughout a single storm.
Other effects include the following:
- There is a +20% Fishing Power bonus in all liquid bodies during Rain.
- Waterleaf blooms.
- Worms spawn frequently in Forest biomes.
- NPCs remain in their houses, as if it were night.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Normal Snow biome monsters will continue to spawn during a Blizzard.
- Rain can interfere with a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse because of the additional enemies that spawn, making certain enemies from those events rarer.
- If Rain coincides with a Blood Moon, walking Goldfish will still turn into Corrupt Goldfish, which do not walk upright in rain like normal goldfish do.
- The Weather Radio will detect if it is raining on surface (regardless of the player's position).
- The rainfall animation is blocked by blocks. This makes no difference to the blooming of Waterleaf, but does prevent the spawning of Worms.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The chance of Rain occurring is permanently 18.2% and does not fluctuate for between 2 minutes and 24 seconds and 24 minutes immediately after world generation.
- Rain's animation stops when the screen is exited in windowed mode (unlike other animations).
- When it is raining and snowing at the same time, the snow animation stops, but not the rain animation.
- Rain Cloud blocks cause a rain effect, which however is entirely unrelated to the Rain event and is purely aesthetic.
- Occasionally, on the Mobile version, lightning and subsequent thunder will occur during rain. This causes nothing but an aesthetic flash of light and sound.
- If Rain coincides with a Blood Moon, Rain will appear to be red-colored.
- If the game is exited to the title screen during Rain, the background will show fog. This happens even when going into a new world and exiting again. To remove the effects, the game needs to be closed.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Actual chances for Rain/Blizzard fluctuate irregularly between 1 in 475,200 and roughly 1 in 345,600 per game tick. There are 60 ticks per real-world second, or in-game minute. So, throughout a full in-game day, the chance of rain can be anywhere between 18.2% and 25%. This is equivalent to a storm occurring every four to five-and-a-half in-game days, or every hour and 36 minutes to 2 hours and 12 minutes in real-time.
- The second condition in
Main.StartRain()is called, which causes the chance to fluctuate, requires the variable
Main.cloudBGactiveto be positive. That variable is set to a random negative value upon world generation and gets increased every tick.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.3.4: The Blizzard weather event now has a new, unique ambient sound when active. It no longer rains in the space biome.
- Desktop 1.3.3: Blizzards now have a new visual effect.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Slightly reduced chance of rain. Optimized rain performance. Fixed minor bug with rain sounds.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.