- Internal Tile ID: 79
Beds are furniture items which allow the player to set a new spawn point or to allow time to pass 5 times faster by sleeping. Beds fulfill the chair requirement for the purposes of housing. Beds have two separate sections which can be interacted with via ⚷ Open / Activate. When interacted with in a valid room the head of the bed will allow the player to sleep while the foot of the bed will change the player's spawn point.
There are currently 40 craftable beds and 5 that can be acquired from the environment. All beds are functionally identical, and differ only in appearance.
Placement[edit | edit source]
Like most other furniture the direction beds are placed depends on the direction the player is facing when placing them. If the player is facing to the east or "right" then the foot of the bed will be on the right and vice versa. All beds which have pillows have them on the head of the bed making it easy to determine their direction. Care should be taken not to accidentally change your spawn point when attempting to sleep on beds such as the cactus bed which are more ambiguous.
Sleeping[edit | edit source]
Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the head of a bed causes the player to enter the bed and "sleep," which accelerates time by five times its normal rate (1 hour of in-game time, which would usually take 1 minute of real-life time, takes only 12 seconds while sleeping). This affects game time, including watches, the sun and moon, and background animations (but not NPC movement or other animations).
- Players may not sleep during invasion events, including Blood Moons and Lunar Events.
- While sleeping, a player can hold items like a Torch or Umbrella, but using items will cause the player to wake up.
- The player will also wake up if attacked.
- Time acceleration in multiplayer requires that all players be asleep.
- Sleeping does not affect potions cooldowns or durations.
Changing Player Spawn[edit | edit source]
Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the foot of a bed in a valid room causes the player's spawn point to be changed.
If the player's current spawn location is not the bed's location it will be set as the player's custom spawn point, and the game will show the message Spawn point set! If the player's current spawn location is the bed's location then the game will show the message Spawn point removed! and the player's spawn point will be set to the default spawn point for that world.
For a bed to function properly as a spawn point it must be in a valid room though other than the bed itself no other furniture or lighting is required. A bed may be placed in a non-rectangular room as long as the leftmost 3 blocks immediately above it are left clear. For instance, there may be a bed (4×2) surrounded by walls on the left, right and bottom sides, and above the foot of the bed. So long as there is space for the player to spawn at the bed the bed can be set as a spawn point. Such as this image.
The top left 3 tiles just above the bed are clear. The mirror image of this is also valid.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Recipes[edit | edit source]
Noncraftable Beds[edit | edit source]
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Found in Ruined houses, does not disappear in lava.|
|Dropped by Pirates.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is advisable to place and activate a bed in the same house the Nurse is living in, so immediate healing is available after recalling or respawning. Be careful not to reset the spawn point by accidentally hitting the bed upon pressing the Nurse's "heal" button, in case she is standing in front of the bed.
- There are many naturally-generated structures which can serve as suitable locations for a bed, such as Underground Cabins or the houses on Floating Islands. Some might require minor modifications, e.g. to fill background wall holes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Pink Dungeon Bed was previously called Red Dungeon Bed. It still is on the Old-gen console version.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Spider and Lesion Beds added.
- Players can now sleep in beds, which speeds up time.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Crystal Bed added.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Meteorite, Granite, Marble and Martian Beds added.
- Now able to remove spawn point by right-clicking on the bed again.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, and Pumpkin Beds added.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
- Desktop 1.2: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 1.0.2: Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Added Bone, Pumpkin, Skyware, Slime, and Spooky Beds.
- Console 1.06: Added 1.2.3 Beds.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.12715: Fixed a bug where Bed spawn set messages would not appear.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Added Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, Pumpkin Beds, and all 1.2.3 Beds.
- Mobile 1.0.2: Fixed a different bug involving bed placement for Google Play release.
- Mobile 1.0.1: Fixed Bed placement bug for Android.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.