|Debuff tooltip||Bleeding Out|
Bone Javelins being thrown at a Target Dummy
. Note how the damage over time increases once the second javelin is attached.
The Bone Javelin is a consumable ranged / throwing weapon crafted from Sturdy Fossils. Upon hitting an enemy, it will stick to the enemy and inflict the Penetrated debuff, dealing 3 damage per second. Up to six Bone Javelins can be pierced onto an enemy, dealing a total of 18 damage a second. Bone Javelins stuck in an enemy will dissipate after 15 seconds. Bone Javelins have no chance of dropping themselves after impacting blocks or hitting enemies.
- Even though the base damage can be amplified with armor, accessories, and buffs, the continuous damage of one Bone Javelin will still be 3 damage per second.
- This item is not retrievable when the player has the set bonus of the Fossil armor or Ninja armor.
- While not being a melee weapon, it is affected by flasks as well as the Magma Stone.
- When using the Flask of Fire, the duration of the first hit's Penetrated debuff is increased.
- Both Skeletron's and Skeletron Prime's head are immune to the Penetrated debuff.
- Bone Javelins appear to have a strange effect on Granite Golems. When the Granite Golem turns invincible by crossing its arms, Bone Javelins will not do damage until the invincibility wears off, doing the damage via many 1s. It appears that the damage stacks over time, even while it is invincible.
- The Bone Javelin is a powerful pre-Hardmode weapon with its high base damage of 20 and long sticking effect. Combined with Fossil armor, this weapon could easily two-shot most pre-Hardmode enemies and is still viable in early Hardmode. However, it lacks the piercing ability of the Bone Throwing Knife, making it most effective against single enemies.
- The Penetrated debuff can never be applied to players, so it lacks a correct debuff icon. It instead uses a duplicate of the Distorted debuff's icon.
- Bone Javelins act similar to a Daybreak which both stick to an enemy and inflict a stacking damage debuff.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Damage decreased from 29 to 20.
- Now crafted by 20 instead of 15.
- Weapon type changed from Throwing to Ranged.