Brain of Cthulhu
The Brain of Cthulhu is a pre-Hardmode Crimson-themed boss resembling a large flying brain. It spawns when players destroy 3 Crimson Hearts in a Crimson world, or when a player uses a Bloody Spine anywhere in a Crimson biome.
The Brain of Cthulhu has two stages. 20 to 30 Creepers spawn along with the initially invulnerable Brain in its first stage and orbit the boss at high speed, following it wherever the boss teleports to. Creepers do not respawn once they are killed. All Creepers must be destroyed first before the Brain of Cthulhu enters its second phase, where it then becomes vulnerable to attacks.
While the Brain of Cthulhu is alive, music Boss 3 will play.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
First phase[edit | edit source]
The Brain itself is initially invincible. It teleports around the player, drawing nearer before teleporting away again in a random direction while itsattack. The Creepers do not teleport along with the Brain but are instead pulled between the player and the Brain in large, sweeping orbits. Once all Creepers are defeated, the Brain enters its second phase.
Second phase[edit | edit source]
In the second phase, the Brain becomes vulnerable to attacks and knockback and aggressively attempts to ram the player before teleporting away.
Expert mode[edit | edit source]
In the second phase, three mirror images of the Brain appear and become more opaque as the boss loses health. Furthermore, both the Creepers (in the first phase) and the Brain (in the second phase) inflict one of the nine following debuffs upon hit:
|Debuff||Duration||Chance (Brain)||Chance (Creepers)|
|2.625 – 5.25 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
|1.5 – 3 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
|0.375 – 0.75 seconds||2/243 (0.82%)||2/81 (2.47%)|
|3.75 – 7.5 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
|0.75 – 1.5 seconds||2/243 (0.82%)||2/81 (2.47%)|
|2.625 – 5.25 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
|5.625 – 11.25 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
|0.75 – 1.5 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
|4.875 – 9.75 seconds||11/243 (4.53%)||11/81 (13.58%)|
Creepers therefore always inflict a debuff, while the Brain only has a 1/3 (33.3%) chance to do so.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Creepers drop Hearts at a higher rate than most enemies.
- Creepers are more aggressive in Expert mode .
- Two Brains can be summoned at once by smashing Crimson Hearts. They seem to share their Creepers and go in to their second phase simultaneously.
- If the player leaves the Crimson, the Brain of Cthulhu will disappear.
- Note that actually defeating the Brain of Cthulhu is not completely necessary, as the Creepers may drop the needed amount of materials.
- However, defeating the Brain of Cthulhu is the only way to gain access to the Tavernkeep .
- Crafting the Deathbringer Pickaxe (from Tissue Samples and Crimtane Ore) will not be necessary if the player obtains the Reaver Shark (through fishing).
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Creepers have low individual health and are especially susceptible to the On Fire! and Frostburn debuffs, so weapons that inflict those can make quick work of them.
- Since the Brain of Cthulhu is susceptible to knockback, weapons with high knockback such as the The Rotted Fork can keep both Creepers and the Brain from closing distance between teleports. It is also possible to use early-game melee weapons such as the Katana or Zombie Arm as long as they do not have disadvantageous modifiers. It is preferable to use spears for this fight since they deal more knockback, however, so a Trident or The Rotted Fork can be used. Note that this may not work in Expert mode , because it might be hard to tell which Brain to attack among the illusions.
- Jester's Arrows or other enemy-piercing weapons can be immensely helpful while fighting the first stage of the Brain of Cthulhu because Creepers often line up in a relatively straight formation, effectively allowing the player to hit most if not all of the Creepers in one well-aimed shot.
- There are several methods to reveal the real Brain of Cthulhu in the second stage:
- Bone Javelins only stick out of the real Brain.
- The On Fire! and Poisoned debuffs damage only the real Brain.
- The Slime Gun and Water Gun cause visual effects only to the real Brain. Note that these do not deal damage.
- The Slime Mount only bounces off the real Brain.
- The illusions position themselves in relation to the player. If the illusions spread out while walking towards one of them, then the real Brain is at the other side. However, if the illusions close in, then the player is getting nearer to the real Brain.
- Selling all the Crimtane Ore that can be obtained from the fight is a very effective way to make money in pre-Hardmode.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Brain of Cthulhu and the Eye of Cthulhu are based on the character Cthulhu from the works of the author H.P. Lovecraft.
- Unlike the correlation between the Eater of Worlds and The Destroyer, the Brain of Cthulhu does not have a Hardmode counterpart, although The Destroyer's Probes are similar in function to its Creepers.
- The Brain of Cthulhu has the least health out of all the bosses, with even less than the Eye of Cthulhu in its second form. However, if adding the health of the Creepers, it has more health than King Slime.
- The Brain is the only boss that is affected by knockback.
- Contrary to popular belief, Creepers do not drop Souls of Night, Biome Keys, or Biome Key Molds.
- It is one of the only two bosses whose map icon does not change after entering its second phase, the other being Santa-NK1.
History[edit | edit source]
- Desktop 1.2.3:
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.